Payment problems, EVNew

I've got a rather curious problem. I'm using EVNew (latest build) and have crafted several missions. Unfortunately, despite having a positive value in the "Pay Value" field, I have not yet been able to have any missions I've created actually pay the player the appropriate number of credits. Anyone else ever experience and overcome this problem?

Is your payment set to give the player credits? I'd expect it is, but if it isn't, there's your problem, because you can pay the player in other ways besides credits. Other than that, I'm not much of a mission guru, so I don't know.

@crusader-alpha, on Jun 5 2006, 01:38 AM, said in Payment problems, EVNew:

Is your payment set to give the player credits? I'd expect it is, but if it isn't, there's your problem, because you can pay the player in other ways besides credits. Other than that, I'm not much of a mission guru, so I don't know.

Yeah, the payment field should be paying credits according the the way the field is set up in EVNew...unfortunately...it still isn't.

Are you sure you're putting it in the "Pay Value" field rather than the "Completion Reward" field? Is the number too large, thus causing the value to overflow? Is the number positive? Is the player actually completing the mission, or is he failing it without noticing? Are we going to end up sitting here all day asking questions until we just happen to ask the right one, or are you willing to attach your plugin (or at least one containing the mission in question) for perusal?

P.S. It's EVNEW - not EVNew.

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 05 June 2006 - 03:59 PM

@belthazar, on Jun 5 2006, 04:58 PM, said in Payment problems, EVNew:

Are you sure you're putting it in the "Pay Value" field rather than the "Completion Reward" field?

Yeah, it's in the Pay Value.

Is the number too large, thus causing the value to overflow?

Not sure. I didn't realize there was a possibility of overflowing the value in EVNEW. The value's are between 75000 and 100000.

Is the number positive?

Yes.

Is the player actually completing the mission, or is he failing it without noticing?

Yes, missions are completing properly because the mission completion text is appearing as well as the proper bits in the "On Success" field are being set. The problem is only in the payment.

Are we going to end up sitting here all day asking questions until we just happen to ask the right one, or are you willing to attach your plugin (or at least one containing the mission in question) for perusal?

I was hoping that this might be a simple fix but since it doesn't seem that way, I will probably put up the plug for inspection. I hadn't advertised or announced anything because I wanted to be a little closer to being done with it first, but it seems that I may have to (I just don't like it when my unfinished or unpolished work is released).

P.S. It's EVNEW - not EVNew.

My bad.

I expect it is a simple fix. The problem is that we're not thinking of the right questions to ask in order to solve the problem. Sometimes it's just so much easier to fix something when you actually have it in front of you to look at.

You don't need to upload your entire plug if you'd like to keep it secret a while longer - just copy the offending mission into a new plugin file, and upload that (which also has the added advantage that it's smaller).

@belthazar, on Jun 6 2006, 04:34 PM, said in Payment problems, EVNew:

You don't need to upload your entire plug if you'd like to keep it secret a while longer - just copy the offending mission into a new plugin file, and upload that (which also has the added advantage that it's smaller).

Good call. Here you go. I've placed in this a few mission strings (they all interlock) as an example of the problem. So that you have an idea of what's going on in these, here's a brief explanation:

After a generic "check back in" mission, you are asked to eliminate a pair of Federation vessels. This initiates the "master" mission, which is visible to you, and also a "hidden" mission. Should you complete the "hidden" mission (i.e. disable the ships instead of destroying them) you receive one "ending" and vice-versa. This sets bits that will come into play later on.

Hopefully you can get an idea of what's going on, I welcome any possible solution/explanation as this is really what's holding up my plug-in from release more than anything else right now.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Wazoo of the SpaceChicken Mallet : 06 June 2006 - 10:16 PM

It's caused by starting 928 on completion, though I'm not sure why it doesn't like this.
Mission 932 requires you to travel to a wormhole??

@guy, on Jun 7 2006, 01:14 AM, said in Payment problems, EVNew:

It's caused by starting 928 on completion, though I'm not sure why it doesn't like this.

Hmmmm...anybody got any suggestions?

@guy, on Jun 7 2006, 01:14 AM, said in Payment problems, EVNew:

Mission 932 requires you to travel to a wormhole??

I think I probably forgot to include the dude files for the special ships. I know that the missions themselves work fine, just not the payment upon completion.

@wazoo-of-the-spacechicken-mallet, on Jun 7 2006, 09:47 PM, said in Payment problems, EVNew:

Hmmmm...anybody got any suggestions?

Yeah, just have mission 928 start in the Main Spaceport of spöb 421 (or any spöb with 421's gövt) with 100% availability. There's no need to have it auto-start by the prior mission, and the above is pretty much what the default scenario does to make successive missions start immediately. I'm pretty sure you can make it start silently by leaving the offer dësc blank... but don't quote me on that.

Yeah, a blank offer desc will make you automatically get the mission. Quite useful, actually.

There is one part where successive missions (seemingly for no reason) in the stock scenario are done via S/Axxx - the end of the Polaris string, where you go to either Port Kane (I think it's Port Kane - I could be wrong), then Earth, then Aurora; or Neilha Memorial Station, then Aurora, then Earth.

Thanks, guys (or girls as the case may be). I'll try to swap that out and give it a whirl. If it works, then I may be ready to beta test this thing soon...we'll see...