STR and STR# Resource ID's

What are the patching resource ids for the pstrings?

All righty, I've been searching the boards for a couple days and have only found one post (Zacha Pedro) that has come close to answering this question. Most of the others just quote from the EV Nova Bible without ever really answering the question at hand. Hopefully the rest of you out there can give some clarity.

Now, I understand what the Bible means with regard to STR#s allocated for each category (i.e. Commodities are 9400-9405). However the Bible doesn't make clear (that I've found) what the patching resource ids (such as the reference to "Food" being "9000") for the various STR#s are

EX: Say I want to use the control bit command "Qxxx". The Bible says:

make the player immediately leave (absquatulate) whatever
stellar he's landed on and return to space, and show a message
at the bottom of the screen. The message is randomly selected
from the STR# resource with ID xxx, and is parsed for mission
text tags (e.g. <PSN> and <PRK> ) but not text-selection tags
like those above (e.g. {G "he" "she"} ) (see dësc and mďsn
resource descriptions for more examples)

But no where in Appendix III does it clarify which STR# you would patch in this instance (I assume it to be either Hails or Message Buoys). Nor does it give a list of the sub-string resource ids. Thanks to Zacha's clarification in the aforementioned thread, I figured out how to patch in new cargo STRs. What I want to know are the resource ids needed to patch in other STRs (such as new hails or the cited example).

I'm using EVNew, latest version (btw).

This post has been edited by Wazoo of the SpaceChicken Mallet : 03 June 2006 - 09:51 AM

-poof- What? What the... Oh, you summoned me, mortal. I shall answer your question. The scoop is, you usually create for this your own STR#, which can have any ID you like (just as long as it isn't already used), you don't patch an existing STR#. So you just need to create your own STR#. I must be going now, I need to resume using my awesome powers to improve Rezilla Custom, and other such God-level endeavors. -poof-

@zacha-pedro, on Jun 3 2006, 11:07 AM, said in STR and STR# Resource ID's:

-poof- What? What the... Oh, you summoned me, mortal. I shall answer your question. The scoop is, you usually create for this your own STR#, which can have any ID you like (just as long as it isn't already used), you don't patch an existing STR#. So you just need to create your own STR#. I must be going now, I need to resume using my awesome powers to improve Rezilla Custom, and other such God-level endeavors. -poof-

Wow...the Mighty Zacha himself! I am honored.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying: If I want to use the Qxxx function I create a string, say STR#300, that has within it a pstring that says "Zacha Rocks". Then in my "On Accept" Field, I put Q300 and when I exit the system, it should say "Zacha Rocks." Did I understand that correctly or am I missing something?

@wazoo-of-the-spacechicken-mallet, on Jun 3 2006, 09:21 AM, said in STR and STR# Resource ID's:

Let me see if I understand what you're saying: If I want to use the Qxxx function I create a string, say STR#300, that has within it a pstring that says "Zacha Rocks". Then in my "On Accept" Field, I put Q300 and when I exit the system, it should say "Zacha Rocks."

Correct, except that Qxxxx will throw you off the planet if you are on one, and then display the string, or will display the string immediately if you are not on a planet.

Also, the usual RIDs for Qxxxx STR#s are 25000 and up, with 25077 being the first available ID.

Edwards

@edwards, on Jun 3 2006, 01:11 PM, said in STR and STR# Resource ID's:

Correct, except that Qxxxx will throw you off the planet if you are on one, and then display the string, or will display the string immediately if you are not on a planet.

Also, the usual RIDs for Qxxxx STR#s are 25000 and up, with 25077 being the first available ID.

Edwards

Thanks much, guys.