Space rendevous misns

Is there an easy way to do space rendevous missions which don't require the other ship in question to be disabled?

For example, let's say a freighter has been ordered to dock with a warship to transfer supplies. It wouldn't make sense to disable the warship using a "Rescue" objective; that warship isn't just going to sit around. And what if the player isn't feeling too charitable? They could just blow it away and get the kill credit instead of completing the mission.

Is there any reliable way to disable the player (say, with a bomb outfit) at a particular time, have another ship board them, and trigger a mission event at that time?

My only thought is to use a "fail when boarded" misn, and the OnFail set field. But can it be guaranteed that the ship the player is sent to dock with will definitely try to board the disabled player?

Well, I'd say do what ATMOS did with the Starbridges that need fuel. Make the mission cause a pers to show up, then have the player hail the pers and show a "the other dude is waiting" message and when the player boards the ship, replace it with a mission ship tht says thanks or whatever and then goes about its business.

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 23 May 2006 - 11:34 PM

That seems equally problematic to me.

Perhaps instead of boarding the warship, there could be a shipboard shuttle waiting disabled nearby. The player boards that, and (in-story) it takes them to the warship. Security concerns or somesuch.

You know, I kinda wondered how the power transfer mission work, and then later sometime tinkering with the graphics, there's a pic for a power transfer outfit? Can someone explain to me how this "outfit" would work? Maybe it ties in with that power transfer umm thing:
Posted Image

Now for what you want to complete, I think that it would require 2 missions to be made, one obviously from whatever spob you acquire it from, and the second would have to be përs related. What you're asking is a similiar situation with the Auroran bonus thread, where the player helps a group of Vell-os and in return, they offer a powerful technology which leads to the development of the Auroran Thunderforge, I suggest you find the Thunderforge thread and take a look at that.

@orcaloverbri9, on May 24 2006, 12:28 AM, said in Space rendevous misns:

Well, I'd say do what ATMOS did with the Starbridges that need fuel...

That's exactly what I thought, but aren't those Valkyries?