Will somebody please put this in a plugin?

A little annoying...

I finally figured out how to get something into a spďn format correctly. However, I am having trouble making ResEdit/Rezilla open it as a .pict file, which it is, and edit the resource, which it is one of, kind of. It says it doesn't contain a resource fork or something, and refuses to play. Also, MC ignores its existance completely.
I had a topic over at Just Graphics about this a while ago. It turned out that they couldn't figure out the exact problem with ResEdit, and the topic died. I don't have time to dig it up now, but will somebody please do me a favor and just stick these .pict spďns into a .rez or .npif file so that I can use them?
They are at http://savefile.com/...php?fid=3096815, and the file is a zipped folder of the binned mask and binned sprite, so I think it should cooperate when you try to expand it.
Sorry about the savefile mirror system that makes you go through like 5 screens with no clear way to just do a direct link to a download...

Your problem appears to be that the files really don't have resource forks. Not all PICT graphics files are resource-fork based; in fact, most aren't.

Anyway, I've stuck the sprites into a plug, and rlë'd them (if you want the PICTs, use DeRle, or MC may be able to extract them to a plug-in file). You can find the file here.

Finally, a couple tips about future sprite work:

1. To import a PICT into ResEdit/Rezilla, simply open it in any image viewer, copy it, open a resource fork in ResEdit/Rezilla, and paste. In MC, create a new PICT resource, and paste the image there.
  2. It is generally a good idea to make sure that your mask is a 1-bit image; that is, it is pure black and white, with no shades of grey. Having shades of grey can cause Nova or your rlë convertor to mis-read the mask, leaving odd fringes on your sprite.

Edwards

Thank you much 🙂
I actually used a little application called SpinApp to extract the sprite and mask from the original .png file, which had transparency wherever the mask's black is now. I don't know what format it put them in exactly, it just said it owuld make a 36 from .pict mask...
Thanks for rlëing it, too.

The next time you want to import a PICT file in MissionComputer, try creating a new PICT resource in your plug-in file, opening it, and then clicking the Import from File button in the resource window. It doesn't support all image types, but it should be able to handle your PICT. Alternatively, you can use Edwards's approach if you're using a slightly more outlandish file format.

Nope, I tried the "import from file" with all sorts of PICTs, like the ones Photoshop 5 makes, the ones Photoshop CS makes, the ones that little program SpinApp makes, and they are all faded (you know, grey and unclickable). And the Photoshop ones are actually resource fork files, not just what appear to be single resources or something... as in without the fork. Or with its own fork. Or something. But the SpinApp ones are just images. And none of them from any program work.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this sounds like a job for... Nova Tools!

In particular, Sprites and EnRLE.