Map Window "Show Borders" Button

Only showing borders in a 512x512 pixel square

When I modify the DITL, DLOG, and PICT for the map window to be larger than default, it works fine with one exception. Clicking "Show Borders" makes the colored borders appear, but only in the upper lefthand 512x512 pixels of the map. They stop abruptly. The rest of the map displays fine, except there's no shading.

This isn't a major problem for me personally, as I rarely if ever use the border display functionality, but I bring it up because I can't figure out how to solve it. As I see it there are two possibilities. Either the area that gets shaded is controled by a resource somewhere that I just haven't found, or it's hard-coded into the game engine, in which case I'm screwed.

So I'm asking if anyone knows of a way to change it. If it cannot be changed then I would consider it a feature flaw, if not a bug, as the game engine ought to check the size of the map display and use that number as the area to show borders in. Actually, I would consider it a bug. I'll get a screenshot of the problem up tonight.

technically editing of dlog and ditl was never supported, and nobody claims that it is supported. But I agree, I would certainly like to see this bug fixed.

What Qaanol isn't mentioning is that 512x512 is noticably larger than the original map (420x458), and that it is a very suspiciously round number. I suspect that, for memory purposes, the off-screen buffer for the border display is only 512x512 pixels, as that seemed more than large enough for the new Nova map dialog (especially given that they were upgrading from 298x298 in EV/O). Also, increasing the size of this buffer would likely worsen the already-bad drawing speed.

Now, a fixed-sized off-screen buffer for drawing is probably not the most efficient way of doing this, and certainly it isn't the most versatile, but it's what we're stuck with. Modifying it so that the buffer size is dependant on the map DITL would almost certainly require a complete re-write of the border-drawing code. Modifying it to use some other technique (I have no idea what) would definitely require a complete re-write of the code.

So, I have this feeling that it really is a feature, not a bug. Put it on the wish-list for EV4.

Edwards

Yup, hit the same problem myself and had to resort to my "Big Map" only being being 512x512. But as Edwards says, it's still a reasonable amount larger than 420x458.
I'd be quite happy for a re-write of the border code though - as I mentioned in a topic on the Nova board once the current borders are quite shocking. But of course it ain't gonna happen.

As a demonstration of the problem for those who don't know what I'm talking about, witness this 1024x768 map window. Border Problem

Ooh, that shot is a great example of another border problem. The blue borders are taking precedence over the red borders, as seen by the curved edge. This happens on the highest and second-highest zoom levels. If you zoom out further than that it comes right.
The other problem is that zooming out causes them to go darker to the point that you can hardly see them any more.