Banking sprites

Are banking sprites limited to just a single set of right and left options? Or can you have more to show progressive degress of banking?

What I mean is...

Where most uses of banking might look somithing like,
base sprites: 0ş bank
banking left: 10ş left
banking right: 10ş right

So, 3 sets of 6x6 sprites total.

Could you do more? Like,
base sprites: 0ş bank
banking left 1: 10ş left
banking right 1: 10ş right
banking left 2: 20ş left
banking right 2: 20ş right

So, as a ship continues to turn, the larger bank sprites are used.
Has anyone tried this?

Also, what controls the speed of switching the banking sprites?
There seems top be some delay when rotating in different directions. If you were turning left and you suddenly go the other direction, you don't immediatly switch from the bank left to the bank right sprites. Rather, you first switch to the base, then there is a slight pause before getting to the bank right sprites.

Is this hardcoded? Or can I manipulate it somehow?

I really don't think that this would work- I believe that the engine would either ignore the extra base sets or there would be some kind of crash. But I've always wanted to experement with this idea. You should make a test render and see what happens.

Ok, I tested it. Nova just ignored the extra banking frames.

There seemed to be a difference in how NovaTools handled the sprites when they differed between PICTs or RLEs, so I tried both. Neither worked.

Darn, I was hoping that Nova would handle extra banking degrees because I would of wanted to animate some large ships that would bank in future developments of Nova plug-ins.