Question:

Does negative recoil work?

I'm curious because I've tried hacking the Mining Drill from Polycon EV to have negative recoil and it didn't work. Polycon EV is plugged into Nova 1.08.

Is this a bug or something?

No, negative recoil doesn't work for weapons fired by the player. It works perfectly well for weapons fired by the AI, though.

Edwards

Well, that's nice. Why only for the AI, though? Is it a bug or is it supposed to be that way?

This post has been edited by ScratSkinner : 29 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

@edwards, on Mar 29 2006, 12:30 PM, said in Question::

No, negative recoil doesn't work for weapons fired by the player. It works perfectly well for weapons fired by the AI, though.

Edwards

That's kind of stupid. :mellow:

Perhaps a report would be in order here... assuming, of course, that it hasn't already been mentioned. I can think of so many uses – like that "move only by afterburner" idea...

@scratskinner, on Mar 29 2006, 03:48 PM, said in Question::

Well, that's nice. Why only for the AI, though? Is it a bug or is it supposed to be that way?

The AI is secretly laughing at you behind your back, because you can't have negative recoil. It's a conspiracy stemming from the highest levels of govornment power.

I'm pretty sure it's just some odd aspect of the Nova engine, and we should accept it and move on.

@aelran, on Mar 30 2006, 05:21 AM, said in Question::

Perhaps a report would be in order here... assuming, of course, that it hasn't already been mentioned. I can think of so many uses – like that "move only by afterburner" idea...

Couldn't you use a quick, forward firing shot that has a negative impact via blast radius? And just have it's detonation be able to hit your own ship?

I tried a quick test, and it worked... but the explosion only seemed to affect the player if the shot happened to also hit an enemy that was right under you. Otherwise, it seemed that the player was immune to the blast.

Maybe you have to get the weapon sprite to exit your ships sprite first or something. But that shouldn't be too hard to work out.

@desprez, on Mar 30 2006, 06:02 PM, said in Question::

Couldn't you use a quick, forward firing shot that has a negative impact via blast radius? And just have it's detonation be able to hit your own ship?

I tried a quick test, and it worked... but the explosion only seemed to affect the player if the shot happened to also hit an enemy that was right under you. Otherwise, it seemed that the player was immune to the blast.

Maybe you have to get the weapon sprite to exit your ships sprite first or something. But that shouldn't be too hard to work out.

Did you try the "shot detonates upon decay" flag? It should work.

@lord-rama, on Mar 31 2006, 02:10 AM, said in Question::

Did you try the "shot detonates upon decay" flag? It should work.

Yes I did. It doesn't.

I've actually seen a weapon that does exactly this, come to think of it... from memory, it detonated after a frame or three, and proceeded to do significant damage to my shuttle.

@aelran, on Mar 29 2006, 07:21 PM, said in Question::

Perhaps a report would be in order here... assuming, of course, that it hasn't already been mentioned.

I'll second that. I doubt it has been mentioned. How about you do it?

You could also go find the reverser plug and see what the author did there.

Sent off, for the interested.