What happens during hyperspace?

Corrupted Resource?

I am playing the official EV Override port in the EV Nova engine, version 1.0.9, on a Yosemite G3 in OS X 10.3.9. I haven't played this port in a while, and it used to work fine.

But now I am having a problem in one particular system. When I enter hyperspace with this system as a destination, the screen turns white, and then hangs there. The only way I have been able to get out of this is to use the reset button on my machine.

Since it only happens on one particular system, I was wondering if Nova is reading in some of the applicable resources during the hyperspace travel, and there is a corrupted resource in one of the files which is causing this hangup?

Well it might be a good idea to actually tell us which system it is. But regardless, you should try the unofficial update, which, incidentally, I have just posted to the addons pages and should be appearing there sometime.

I tried the unofficial update. Same thing happens.

I did get this from the debuglog, although it doesn't show up every ttime:

entering system 262 (Smott)
error loading stellar sprite from PICT, type 39

I am working on the Diplomatic Relations string, returning to Mira after carrying their message to Earth. This problem occurs on the jump from the Smott system to the Priat system.

The problem may be an 8-bit pict. I discovered when I started this that the target picts were not appearing in the display. Just a white space. I had to change all the target picts from 8-bit to 16-bit to make them show up.

But what pict? Neither of the spobs in the Priat system are type 39. They are type 21 and type 37 in the spob resources.

Possibly error type 39?

Strange, it's working fine for me. 8-bit picts won't actually cause a crash though. The target pics were the only ones like this but are fixed in the update. Do you have any plugs loaded?

What is an error type 39?

Its not the spob picts. I tried changing them to 16-bit, but it didn't make any difference.

So I ran them through enRLE, and exchanged the PICTs for RLEs. Still bombed. The debuglog stopped at "Playing game".

I have three plugins installed. The Random Mission Fix that is part of the 101 update, and two plugs which were working fine in previous playing (before the 1.0.9 update to Nova). Still, I'll take them out and see what happens.

Make absolutely certain that the spďns used for all spobs in that system are valid. This sounds very much like the crash that always occurs when you jump into a system that has spobs without graphics. Something may have gone wrong when you downloaded/decompressed the file(s).

Edwards

Last thing I checked in my current project, that one. It was really rather frustrating, and having Nova provide me with EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) exceptions did not make me happy. At all.

To think I forgot that stellar classes are one of those things which use a 0-base numbering system...