On My TC's Name

please vote

Poll: What should I call my TC? (14 member(s) have cast votes)
What should I call my TC?
Collapse ADA
(3 votes [21.43%])
Percentage of vote: 21.43%
Shattering ADA
(3 votes [21.43%])
Percentage of vote: 21.43%
Crash ADA
(2 votes [14.29%])
Percentage of vote: 14.29%
Collapse RGM
(0 votes [0.00%])
Percentage of vote: 0.00%
Shattering RGM
(0 votes [0.00%])
Crash RGM
(2 votes [14.29%])
Collapse LSD
(2 votes [14.29%])
Shattering LSD
(2 votes [14.29%])
Crash LSD
(0 votes [0.00%])

ADA: A nno D omini A ftermath
RGM: R eality G one M ad
LSD: (self-explanatory)

If you have any opinions, please post below.

i voted for Crash ADA but i really dont care for any of the names, no offense.

Anything with LSD in it gets my vote.

I don't think that any of these make any sense.

i like shattering ADA, it has a nice ring to it

Yeah shattering ADA is the best of them I think. A time ago (can somebody remember a small reply in some topic?) I mentioned my upcoming EVO: Cloud Five.. Is that a good name? (Cloud 5 is a nebula in the galaxy of the plugin ((or TC!)))

This post has been edited by Zealot : 01 March 2006 - 08:14 AM

Seriously; if you're having trouble deciding on something as peripheral as a name for your TC, I don't hold much hope for the project as a whole.

Naming something can be the hardest part, if you put all your work into it an then have to assign it a name that everyone is going to remember it by, then thats a pretty big choice, it would be incredibly easy to screw up and have people think "Crappy name, Crappy project"( though im sure no-one here thinks like that), and that would be pretty annoying.
Anyway i voted for shattering ADA, it definitely sounds best.

paddy, on Mar 1 2006, 04:27 PM, said:

Naming something can be the hardest part, if you put all your work into it an then have to assign it a name that everyone is going to remember it by, then thats a pretty big choice, it would be incredibly easy to screw up and have people think "Crappy name, Crappy project"( though im sure no-one here thinks like that), and that would be pretty annoying.
View Post

Nonsense.

It need not be. Naming a project a decent name can be troublesome, although not as hard as the rest of the project.

On the actual name: Frankly, I dislike all of them. This is coupled with the fact that I don't know anything in particular about your total conversion to begin with.

-Bob

...it would be incredibly easy to screw up and have people think "Crappy name, Crappy project"( though im sure no-one here thinks like that), and that would be pretty annoying.

It's even more crappy when you don't finish the project to begin with. There have been hundreds of cool proposed TCs with even cooler names that have disappeared forever. Many of them died because their makers got hung up on web-sites and publicity, and found that they didn't have the resolve or creative energy to slog through the 'actual' TC work.

Hudson, on Mar 1 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

Seriously; if you're having trouble deciding on something as peripheral as a name for your TC, I don't hold much hope for the project as a whole.
View Post

so what if he cant name it that has nothing to do with the final product and how good it will be

TheKatz, on Mar 1 2006, 08:52 PM, said:

so what if he cant name it that has nothing to do with the final product and how good it will be
View Post

For one, go buy an Idiot's Guide to English, Grammar and Punctuation.

For two, in my experience, anyone who is capable of wasting this much time and energy on what actually represents 0.0001% of a TC's workload - all be it a very visible 0.0001% - will probably waste is similar amount of time on every other bit of the project. The idea that a TC's title is its most important asset is, frankly, a steaming poo-pot. Get over it, get to the meat of the project and start developing something, anything. There'll be plenty of time to pontificate over its title when you know with some degree of certainty that it'll be released. Until then, this thread will do as much good as farting into the face of a hurricane.

Give it a working title, pick a word, a phrase, anything, just pick something to refer to it as. When you know what it's about, what its themes are, how its narratives fit together, then you can start thinking about a name. And even then, don't think about it for too long.

For three, waiting until he can beet the Alien Cruiser in EVC before he's going to start his TC because he thinks that's some kind of a test of his developmental man-hood? I'm just going to call him on the fact that he's stalling for time until he can grow a clue.

This post has been edited by Hudson : 01 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

i fail to see how he is "wasting time" and "stalling" on this "very visible 0.0001%" all he did was post the poll, he hasn't responded to our suggestions yet, it's possible he just came up with a list of names, and threw it to us to bicker over so he could do the rest of the project, thus when he finishes, he merely has to check back here and a name will be picked.

and as for

For three, waiting until he can beet the Alien Cruiser in EVC before he's going to start his TC because he thinks that's some kind of a test of his developmental man-hood? I'm just going to call him on the fact that he's stalling for time until he can grow a clue.

he could very well be doing this to get a feel for how he want's the gameplay to run. If he is going to use the Aliens alot in his TC, then he needs a good idea of what it takes to fight them, so he can balance them appropriately.

Hudson, on Mar 1 2006, 04:22 PM, said:

<snip>
View Post

Agreed.

Just pick a name and get down to the actual work. If you don't like it later, you can change it.

So what's LSD?

Limited slip differential?

Edwin_again, on Mar 1 2006, 10:27 PM, said:

i fail to see how he is "wasting time" and "stalling" on this "very visible 0.0001%" all he did was post the poll, he hasn't responded to our suggestions yet, it's possible he just came up with a list of names, and threw it to us to bicker over so he could do the rest of the project, thus when he finishes, he merely has to check back here and a name will be picked.
View Post

Naming your TC is a personal and creative issue. IMLTHO, it's not the kind of thing that a self respecting developer should be throwing open to the community. If this is how he's going to approach all difficult creative decisions, he's going to get no where fast. Over and above that, this is classic attention-whore vapourware behaviour. It's exactly the kind of thing UER&D was referring to above.

Edwin_again, on Mar 1 2006, 10:27 PM, said:

he could very well be doing this to get a feel for how he want's the gameplay to run. If he is going to use the Aliens alot in his TC, then he needs a good idea of what it takes to fight them, so he can balance them appropriately.
View Post

Gameplay is good. Gameplay is just. Gameplay is your friend. But you can not balance it until you have something to balance it with. Either way, I don't believe for one minute that this is what he's doing - it's avoidance tactics; pure and simple.

What does he need to avoid, if he doesn't want to make his TC then he doesn't have to. He's not going to get fired for just dropping it, (lose some respect maybe) but nothing serious. If he can't bother to go through with his TC and needs to use "avoidance tactics" then its not worth making.

ScratSkinner, what's your TC going to be about?

paddy, on Mar 2 2006, 07:06 PM, said:

What does he need to avoid, if he doesn't want to make his TC then he doesn't have to.
View Post

At this point; he's avoiding actual work and difficult decisions. He's throwing up as many obstacles in his own path as he can, because at some level, he likes the idea of being responsible for a TC but has no idea where to start.

Please, do prove me wrong; I'd love there to be more active TCs out there. It's just that this one has the whiff of vapourware all over it.