Joystick support

Does it exist? will it exist?

topic speaks for itself, joystick would own.

Wait..... Do you mean is the game playable with a joystick?

I don't think EVN will ever have joystick support.

USB Overdrive adds joystick support to anything...

Hmm.. But does a joystick have enough buttons for 34 commands? (Nova has)

This post has been edited by Zealot : 15 February 2006 - 07:45 AM

Zealot, on Feb 15 2006, 11:45 AM, said:

Hmm.. But does a joystick have enough buttons for 34 commands? (Nova has)
View Post

You can use a keyboard and a joystick simultaneously.

Ravenheart, on Feb 15 2006, 02:31 PM, said:

You can use a keyboard and a joystick simultaneously.
View Post

Maybe, but I think a good point in using a joystick is that you can use ONLY the joystick.

Zealot, on Feb 15 2006, 04:22 PM, said:

Maybe, but I think a good point in using a joystick is that you can use ONLY the joystick.
View Post

Well, you could use the joystick for primary actions, such as moving, firing primary and secondary weapons. Even afterburner (that would be so awesome). And with that, most Nova players won't even need a keyboard. And there is probably way more space on the joystick - average josticks have around 6 or so buttons nowadays.

And if you use hotkeys for landing and such, just budge the keyboard about 3 inches towards you and make use of the key preferences and move the controls to wherever feels most comfortable with the joystick.

what i'm asking is can i use a joystick like a jouystick, and not like a stick-shaped keyboard. (IE, moving the joystick a little turns slow, alot turns fast, not any-movement-turns@max)

No you probably can't.

No.

MacAddict ran something a looong time ago called "Override on Overdrive", and it was about doing something like that.

It does not exist. It will not exist unless we get EV3D.

The Apple Cřre, on Feb 16 2006, 02:21 AM, said:

It will not exist unless we get EV3D.
View Post

Which would rock! Right...?

I would think that it would get shoved sideways into another name.

it better, EV 3D would no longer be EV because EV is a top-down space sim, EV3D would be Freelancer, or Wing Commander

EV3D would be Vegastrike, but you could:
Demand tribute.
Bribe planets.
Bribe hostile ships.
Have to slow down to dock/land. Vegastrike doesn't care how fast you are going, as long as you are in the green box.
Not treat a ship you docked with like a planet/station.
Have a lot more trouble/fun docking with a ship in a mission, have it very likely to get shot from under you, and other similar stuff.

EV3D would be in a class of its own. It wouldn't be EV, but it wouldn't be Privateer, either. And it definitely wouldn't be FreeLancer.

It definately would suck.