Qaanol's First Developer Challenge

Are You Awesome?

What: Video of drop bear jumping on someone.
When: Before 2006.
Prize: Qaanol's official seal of awesomeness.

For this activity you must have access to a video camera and a drop bear costume, or the ability to animate. The goal is to produce a Nova plug-in containing a video clip of a drop bear jumping on someone, which plays whenever the player is attacked by a drop bear.

So bust out your pen and paper and scanner, or hone your 3D modelling skills, or use claymation, or take your video camera, mount it on a tripod, find a close friend and/or total stranger, don your marsupial suit, and share the result with the rest of us.

Entries will be judged on my ability to discern that a drop bear is indeed jumping on someone. Finalists will be voted on in a poll to determine the winner. You have 2 months. Begin!

~Qaanol

ps. Bonus prize if the video is shot in Australia. Extra bonus if an unsuspecting tourist is jumped on. Ultimate bonus if you eschew the costume and film an actual bear dropping on someone. Free headstone with inscription of your choice if the person it attacks is you. If any animals other than baby seals are hurt in the making of your movie, you get nothing.

Awesome. Does a Drop-Bear look much different from other bears? Where can I find such a suit?

A drop bear suit? Somehow reminds me of Silence of the Lambs...

Guy, on Oct 28 2005, 05:13 PM, said:

Does a Drop-Bear look much different from other bears?
View Post

Think homicidal koala.

Add lightning bolts to make it Auroran.

And probably have two movies. If you don't mind, use a codec that works with Quicktime 5, for us OS 9ers. That, and this is probably one where you want to have two movies and a gender bit.

My video is finished! ( πŸ˜› ) Click here to view it.

This post has been edited by Frequency 245 : 29 October 2005 - 10:16 AM

But, the whole point of drop bears is that they drop on people...

Also, it should be pointed out that the drop bears in Nova are actually a particular group of Auroran warriors.

... in koala suits.

Man, I really hope someone points LG to this thread.

Frequency 245, on Oct 29 2005, 02:40 PM, said:

My video is finished! ( πŸ˜› ) Click here to view it.
View Post

You've inspired me to smoke your ass with my flash-fu.

Brace yourselves. πŸ†’

I'll totally smoke you both. If i can be bothered... and I think I can (but the promise of the awesome of the EVbnb flash game is far higher than this... but this is so easy, and could probably be included. Hmm...)

Curse you neb! πŸ˜›

On one hand, I want to win, on the other, I want to see your animation. :mellow:

Must... include... more keyframe detail!!1!

RRAAHH!

ph33r m3!

The contest is more than halfway to its end, and so far there's been one movie and zero plugins submitted. You still have 3.5 weeks left, though!

FluffyWithTeeth, on Oct 30 2005, 08:37 PM, said:

Also, it should be pointed out that the drop bears in Nova are actually a particular group of Auroran warriors.
View Post

Nooo! You've spoilt it now!

Where does it say that, anyway?

It doesn't, if I remember right. I think it's just implied by the fact that the drop bears don't actually exist. πŸ˜›

tycho61uk, on Dec 8 2005, 12:32 AM, said:

Nooo! You've spoilt it now!

Where does it say that, anyway?
View Post

Preambles. I actually heard it from pipeline though, I think.

Excuse me for interrupting, but I wonder if someone can expain this to me:

The Apple CΕ™re, on Dec 3 2005, 07:20 PM, said:

/me resists the urge to get Qaanol's form and check all the boxes.
View Post

What is this form he's talking about?

ScratSkinner: Don't interrupt topics... Or else you'll get the form.