Nova Ultimate Resource Database Initiative

This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. My bits of tinkering with MC, GarageBand, Mechanisto, and Terragen might just be put to use. I've made lots of stuff in all of those (well, not much in Mech) that isn't complete by itself, but put with something bigger, that I'm not about to start, would be great. I've refrained from uploading a bunch of stuff to the Addons because it really is just 'stuff'. It's like giving someone frosting, but no cake. πŸ™‚

I like frosting...

Seriously, I think this sounds like a GREAT idea! How many vapor TCs are there that someone could easily finish if they could just get at them? It would certainly be easier to finish a 50% done vapor TC than make your own from scatch. Some dead projects may even be revived! I am 100% in favor of this idea, and will contribute any stuff of my own that I can find. I also have a few ideas about how it should be run:

1. Even if there is 5 gigs of space, it might be a good idea to set up a system whereby things that are very unpoplular can be deleted (for example, if a file is downloaded less than 5 times in a year it can be taken down.)

2. It should be searchable, if possible, by file name, date, author, size, and type (Graphics, misns, govts, etc. or some combination)

All in all it sounds great. Good idea, Hamster2!

Two things that you'd need to bare in mind; one is that the 'check-in/check-out' function would have to be in there for it to be in any way productive. Otherwise you're going to end up with 100 plugs, all sharing the same basic content.

The second is some kind of rights management system. For example; if a portion of written work passes through the hands of 5 writers, each adding a tangible amount to its volume, each should be credited when the sixth individual actually releases it.

This post has been edited by Hudson : 24 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

Aye, I won't quote the text, but I will be using a (modified) versioning/resource management web system to do checkin/checkout, and all content will be uploaded under Creative Commons or GNU.

Nonwithstanding, It would be a good idea to include a journal text file of anyone who contributed to the little packets of content that will be rented out, at least for the infancy-board stage of Nurdi, but since the final system will be using versioning, we will have an online record of who checked what out when, and copies of the files before and after they were checked out.

I'm using dreamhost for my server currently, I'll see what I can do about getting more than 5 gigs storage; but we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit, in assuming there will be problems with storage before we actually put anything up there. πŸ˜‰

nfreader, on Oct 20 2005, 11:11 PM, said:

However, this presents a unique problem. How to manage such a system? No PHP scripts (That I know of) will do what you need it too. A system of this type would need to make it easy for users to upload and find what they're looking for. I'd have to say that a "database" would need a custom PHP job.
View Post

Prophile's the name, PHP's the game... you should know that by now Mister Farley.

prophile, on Oct 25 2005, 12:29 AM, said:

Prophile's the name, PHP's the game... you should know that by now Mister Farley.
View Post

prophile, if you are offering your PHP skills to this project, I am most appreciative. I'll throw any questions I have about making the database your way. πŸ™‚

And I'll go and finish that picture of Unknown. :cryptic grin:

prophile, on Oct 24 2005, 08:29 PM, said:

View Post

I for one can vouch for his coding ability. Some of the stuff he's done is amazing (to me anyways). He's the man for the job.

Still looking forward to the launch.

Is there any estimate on the date of the first posting?

I wouldn't mind contributing my writing to this.

Would webstory links count? Because you might be able to make a decent campaign plugin out of those.

UPDATE: The Invision Power Board site will be up by tonight! All hear and be glad, no longer be sad- For the data will soon pour in like a river.

Just a few more tweaks, and the board will be fully functional. I'll have my content up there (At least some of it), and it'll be ready for users to sign up.

I'd like to stress what mrxak said about not fragmenting the community: Keep the awesome brainstorming and all the questions here, the discussion board on Nurdi will be for the express purpose of negotiation between writers, mods, and content authors.

Once the Nova Ultimate Resource Database Initiative reaches it's maturity, I'll either continue the discussion board it on an adjunct system, or, perhaps, get a sub forum here on the ASW boards. (knock on wood) πŸ˜›

http://s14.invisionfree.com/Nurdi/

I'm preparing media for upload, I'm making previews and watermarked images, so that only people checking out the media can use the original files. The forums should be self explanatory.

Musician makes a theme for fun, posts it on the database.

I have been playing guitar for 20 plus years.
love to help if I could
πŸ†’

Posted on the forums about NLFs.

If you wanted to, you could beg space off of Jericon.

prophile, on Oct 31 2005, 11:32 AM, said:

Posted on the forums about NLFs.
View Post

Why don't you just use .bin? And what happens when a windows user wants to check stuff out? Actually, why don't you just get the uploader to .bin and .zip themselves? No one really wants to transfer 30MB of data when it could be done in 10.

My first checkoutable item is up, EVN Stone, a failed plug idea that ran out of steam.

All graphics are Strata Vision, so don't expect much. πŸ˜›

I've decided on making a few watermarked preview files for each set, to protect the privacy of the media.

Guy, on Nov 2 2005, 04:47 AM, said:

Why don't you just use .bin? And what happens when a windows user wants to check stuff out? Actually, why don't you just get the uploader to .bin and .zip themselves? No one really wants to transfer 30MB of data when it could be done in 10.
View Post

Uploading over FTP or HTTP kills resource forks. I could install zlib into nlf so that it's gzip compressed, and to download will look something along the lines of

Posted Image
Archenar Government (archenar.nlf - 816 kb - ID 193)
Checkout - NLF Format | Windows Format (Get NLF Utility)
View Resources
Last changeset on Wednesday, 2nd November, 2005 by prophile (Added two new ships)
Changes - Change Logs | Upload new changeset

so we're not looking at anything particularly difficult.

if I wanted to submit some music, how would I do that?
I'm not computer savey, but I can play muisc.

EDIT: on a side note, my IQ was 360 15 years ago but do to vast amounts of alcohol cosumption there is no telling what it is now.... my point is that with some help I could probably submit something useful.
thanx.

This post has been edited by sleepyboybecker : 02 November 2005 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image
Jupiter (from The Planets) (jupiter.mp3 - 3 mb - ID 193)
Checkout
Last changeset on Wednesday, 2nd November, 2005 by prophile (Removed some of that nasty hiss)
Changes - Change Logs | Upload new changeset

The interface can be made to handle different types of file easily enough.