SOLUTION - In flight adjustment of ship characteristics

Nice...

If you can keep up this rate of developments, every TC currently in progress is going to grind to a halt from feature overload... 😉

NebuchadnezzaR, on Nov 7 2005, 07:49 AM, said:

...unless you use autoaborting missions that trigger themselves automatically (seems to run at the rate of about 3 a frame)...View Post

That matches nicely with my number of 100/second. I have not noticed much lag when I've used auto-abort loops, although I haven't had them Dxxx anything.

Edwards

Ragashingo, on Nov 8 2005, 11:45 PM, said:

Yeah, the weekly sacrifice haven't been working and have been having the negative side effect of my name slowly moving towards the top of the "To Be Sacrificed This Week" list 😛
View Post

Yeah, I noticed that odd implication just as I posted it. I have a tendancy to prefer mixed metaphors without really noticing.

Edwards, on Nov 9 2005, 03:30 AM, said:

Nice...

If you can keep up this rate of developments, every TC currently in progress is going to grind to a halt from feature overload... 😉

That matches nicely with my number of 100/second. I have not noticed much lag when I've used auto-abort loops, although I haven't had them Dxxx anything.

Edwards
View Post

Hehe... I love feature overload. Thats the only thing keeping me motivated.

Uh... yeah. About that timing thing, I just used your numbers (from memory). So don't take that confirmation too seriously.

Sorry :p.

Guy, on Nov 7 2005, 04:36 PM, said:

How many fingers do you have on your hands? I need my both my hands to count them all 😛
View Post

Uh... what? I thought it was just cloaks, asteroid scoops, and autorepair systems. You can't count weapons because they have to be included as weaps in the rescource. So... one... two... three, yeah, I have enough fingers for that. If I missed any, then I'll change my statement... but I can't think of what it would be.

This post has been edited by NebuchadnezzaR : 09 November 2005 - 11:45 AM

NebuchadnezzaR, on Nov 10 2005, 05:38 AM, said:

Uh... what? I thought it was just cloaks, asteroid scoops, and autorepair systems. You can't count weapons because they have to be included as weaps in the rescource. So... one... two... three, yeah, I have enough fingers for that. If I missed any, then I'll change my statement... but I can't think of what it would be.
View Post

Check the FAQ 😉

Guy, on Nov 9 2005, 03:38 PM, said:

Check the FAQ 😉
View Post

Ah right, my mistake. I forgot about jamming and fast jumping, as they're behaviors are duplicated elsewhere. I need to test out cloak scanning, I completely didn't know that. Pretty awesome.

But yes. Consider my words eaten and my hand a mutant.

(My point still stands, the blow is only semantic. AI will still ignore speed/accel mods in outfits. So bid farewell to the fighter squadron that launches off its one nuke each, suddenly gaining tons of speed/accel each. Thus, outfits that all do that sort of thing to change performance in flight will only ever affect the player, and this is certainly fairly limiting).

This post has been edited by NebuchadnezzaR : 09 November 2005 - 05:24 PM

Yes. Fairly limiting. For something that pushes the limits of possibility wide open!

I can think of tons of uses that would only ever need the player to be affected. For instance, any imaginable scenario where it's "You against the universe" rather than "The universe against itself with you thrown in" could make extensive use of cursing/blessing the player.

Jeeze, I'm not sayin its not useful. Im just saying using it exclusively (or even primarily) for ammo that slows you down is ... not a bad idea so much as a waste. The effect wouldnt ever be visible for AI, but it is awesome enough I think people could probably forgive it. maybe o.0

...the AI doesn't have to have access to the same technology you do...

You know, you can also use this to trigger mission when the player uses a weapon. (Well, the last of a weapon, that is. But you could use single shot "weapons" to trigger all kinds of stuff.)

I believe you'd have to use the in-flight time advancement, and have a cron trigger on failed detection of the item after a bit was set when you recieved it.

Or some event that occours when you have fighters docked/not docked.

Yeah, and if the mission that fires when you use the last ammo happens to grant another ammo for that weapon...

"Call reinforcement fleet"?

Weepul 884, on Nov 10 2005, 01:22 AM, said:

"Call reinforcement fleet"?
View Post

On the condition of running out of ammo?

Now that's evil... heh heh

Wait... but this hinges on datepostincing the hell out of the system. Do you REALLY want a day to pass every few seconds?

Qaanol, on Nov 10 2005, 12:52 AM, said:

Yeah, and if the mission that fires when you use the last ammo happens to grant another ammo for that weapon...
View Post

Ooo.. Yeah that works.
Except then you can only use it for unlimited ammo.

Wait, that's not true.
You could set up the purchase of ammo to also grant an invisible placeholder ammo item (if you don't have one) which is what the weapon really fires. Then, on the condition of running out, you trigger (whatever you want, maybe add a tally to a count of some sort) plus adds another round of ammo if you have some of the stuff you bought IF you have some available.

Did that make sence? You could count, when, and how much, was fired without having to grant unlimited (or single shots only) ammo.

Now what use that would be in a scenario, well....
I dunno, maybe fireing a restricted weapon makes you more hated?

Desprez, on Nov 9 2005, 08:34 PM, said:

Ooo.. Yeah that works.
Except then you can only use it for unlimited ammo.

Wait, that's not true.
You could set up the purchase of ammo to also grant an invisible placeholder ammo item (if you don't have one) which is what the weapon really fires. Then, on the condition of running out, you trigger (whatever you want, maybe add a tally to a count of some sort) plus adds another round of ammo if you have some of the stuff you bought IF you have some available.

Did that make sence? You could count, when, and how much, was fired without having to grant unlimited (or single shots only) ammo.

Now what use that would be in a scenario, well....
I dunno, maybe fireing a restricted weapon makes you more hated?
View Post

Or maybe it could work as some sort of ammo-debt that you would repay when landing. Like an ammo reserves thing. Alternatively, you could create some sort of penalty for going over the number of ammo shot by altering the speed or rotation of the ship or something ("diverting energy from ship systems to the weapons"). Sounds like a good idea for a Star Trek plugin... 😉

Just as a side note, the game also checks your weapons against your outfits when you D/Gxxx in flight, and removes anything that doesn't have an outfit. Not much of an issue, but it can mess you up if you like to take shortcuts with test plugs. This may also have some bearing on the debate about just how the game handles weapons and outfits.

NebuchadnezzaR, on Nov 9 2005, 06:22 PM, said:

Wait... but this hinges on datepostincing the hell out of the system. Do you REALLY want a day to pass every few seconds?View Post

Every few seconds? Every few seconds? You think on far to long a scale...
But yes, it is bad if you actually want to use the date for anything meaningful.

Edwards