Inertial Dampers?

Hostile Waters physics

This water thing is getting overly complicated. This is the least of out problems. But, boats just can't float through the water with no friction. Then, when they go turn, they just keep going the same direction. The inertialess tag is a bit too much change too. Boats don't turn with out slowing.

So, when I saw this 'inertial damper' thing in action, it seemed almost perfect. But, I have no idea how to make them, or what they really do. Please inform me.

nuku, on Jul 16 2005, 08:43 PM, said:

This water thing is getting overly complicated. This is the least of out problems. But, boats just can't float through the water with no friction. Then, when they go turn, they just keep going the same direction. The inertialess tag is a bit too much change too. Boats don't turn with out slowing.

So, when I saw this 'inertial damper' thing in action, it seemed almost perfect. But, I have no idea how to make them, or what they really do. Please inform me.View Post

If you're referring to the Inertial Damper outfit type (type 38), then all it is is an outfit that makes a ship inertialess.
However, inertialess ships are not quite truely inertialess- I once had one that flew in squares , rather than circles, at top speed. I can't find my note on what I thought was going on, but I think it was something like: "inertialess ships aren't actually inertialess- they merely have about ten times their given acceleration and a throttle." You may want to look at this (try a ship with very low acceleration). I don't guarantee anything, though.

Edwards

I find this behavior easiest to replicate with extremely fast ships. Try taking a Manta, filling it with speed enhancers, adding an afterburner (or two, or three...), and making it inertialess. You get some really odd behaviour - stars will often freeze.

Aelran, on Jul 21 2005, 02:56 PM, said:

I find this behavior easiest to replicate with extremely fast ships. Try taking a Manta, filling it with speed enhancers, adding an afterburner (or two, or three...), and making it inertialess. You get some really odd behaviour - stars will often freeze.
View Post

If you change the acceleration of a ship to be a large multiple (I'm playing with a dragon mod that has 4800 acceleration and 320 top speed) it acts somewhat similar to the inertialess mods...

However... the reverse key is a bit different with the inertialess mod. Without the mod (inertia-enabled) the reverse key simply turns your ship along a reverse facing while keeping the same speed and direction (with no thrust input). With the mod, the reverse key applies reverse thrust, bringing your ship to a stop.

Someone wanna confirm or deny this behavior?

Thanks.
Bloodpuff

Yay! (first post)

bloodpuff, on Jul 29 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

However... the reverse key is a bit different with the inertialess mod. Without the mod (inertia-enabled) the reverse key simply turns your ship along a reverse facing while keeping the same speed and direction (with no thrust input). With the mod, the reverse key applies reverse thrust, bringing your ship to a stop.

Someone wanna confirm or deny this behavior?View Post

Yup. That's one of the things inertialessness does, and it's what I meant by a "throttle". It's also nice to know that someone else can support the "inertialessness-is-just-super-high-acceleration" theory.

And welcome to the EVDC. Make yourself at home.

Edwards

Aye, welcome. Get used to the inhabitants finding ways to get far more out of the engine than we should be able to...