Makin a new tc

HOW?

Hey guys! I'm going to start a new TC, but I dunno how to do some things.. Anyone who has made one or knows about them, plz help!
Thing 1: How do I delete the original systems without starting the plugin werdly?
Thing 2: Hmm.. I think that was the main problem.. :huh:

Well anyone who helps THANKS and anyone who doesnt thanks still <_<

T-h-r-e-a-t, on Jul 18 2005, 06:09 PM, said:

Thing 1: How do I delete the original systems without starting the plugin werdly?
Thing 2: Hmm.. I think that was the main problem..
View Post

Oh I love that! How do you guys think this stuff up?! 😛

Take a look at Absolute-Minimum - at least I think that's what it's called - in the downloads area.

This post has been edited by tycho61uk : 18 July 2005 - 03:17 PM

T-h-r-e-a-t, on Jul 18 2005, 12:09 PM, said:

Hey guys! I'm going to start a new TC, but I dunno how to do some things.. Anyone who has made one or knows about them, plz help!
Thing 2: Hmm.. I think that was the main problem.. :huh:View Post

:blink:
I would strongly recommend that you not try anything as large as a TC, given your apparent level of plug-making expertise. A TC is a very large undertaking- even one that's only as large as the original EV will take quite a few months, and most TCs are taking years.
However, I could be wrong, and you could be a very driven person with a clear goal, willing to do whatever it takes to bring your grand vision into the light of day.

Anyway, the file you want, as tycho said, is called AbsoluteMinimum. If you're on a Mac, you will need to convert it using the Mac Plugin Converter. Good luck...

Edwards the Slightly Sceptical

If you really are going to make a TC though you'll want to make replacement data files rather than plug-ins. Take all the Nova ones out and put your ones in instead - this means you won't have to worry about "deleting" the existing resources.

I can't believe this guy has the gall to do this.

More power to him. Maybe "gall" is what it takes to see a TC project through to fruition. What's the worst that could happen? It ends up vapourware, like 90% of the other TC's we hear of but never see (for a variety of reasons.) So good luck to you T-h-r-e-a-t. If you need help, you can always ask.

Hmm.. U guys talk about Nova.. He means EVO (I know him he's my friend).

This post has been edited by Zealot : 19 July 2005 - 02:30 AM

And how would they have known that? Did he ever say "This is for EVO"?
---
EVO TCs tend to be easier than Nova TCs because EVO has less resources to dink around with.

The Cheat, on Jul 19 2005, 12:39 PM, said:

EVO TCs tend to be easier than Nova TCs because EVO has less resources to dink around with.
View Post

Plus you can get away with s###ty graphics and naff sound 😄

Zealot, on Jul 19 2005, 01:28 AM, said:

Hmm.. U guys talk about Nova.. He means EVO (I know him he's my friend).View Post

It would have been nice if he'd mentioned that.

If you're making an EVO TC, I think that your best bet for getting the old resources out of the way is to make a set of "null" resources. These are blank resources that replace the existing EVO resources, thus preventing the existing ones from messing up your TC. There are a few settings you'll want to change from the default blank (such as placing null systems way off at the edge of the map), but if you can't work out what those are on your own, you have no buisness attempting a TC. Frozen Heart is a good example of null resources.
There might be something of the sort on the downloads page.

Anyway, my previous comments on the difficulties of making a TC still stand.

Edwards the Annoyed at People Who Omit Essential Information

Edwards, on Jul 19 2005, 11:39 AM, said:

Edwards the Annoyed at People Who Omit Essential Information
View Post

You, sir, are freaking awesome.

tycho61uk, on Jul 19 2005, 01:29 PM, said:

Plus you can get away with s###ty graphics and naff sound 😄
View Post

Hehehe.

Hamster looks at his 26 different photoshopped copies of one Noir shield sprite, and begins to cry.

And how would they have known that? Did he ever say "This is for EVO"?

Did he ever say "this is for EVN"?

There can be a safe assumption in this day and age that a TC is for the EV3 engine. I think that the burden of otherwise us up to the creator 🙂

EV Developer's Corner
Web board for EV, EVO, and EV Nova plugin developers and artists.

I understand that a lot of confusion could have been avoided by stating that EVO was the platform, but the above quote is the description that we click on to access the Developer's Corner. I'm as guilty as the rest of assuming that we were talking about EVN, but I believe the confusion is as much my fault for making that assumption as it was his for not stating he was talking about EVO.

No. Who in their right mind builds any TC for EVC/O? Extension plugs I can understand, but if you're modding, why would you choose an inferior game engine to build on?

It is the soul responsibility of developer to state which engine s/he is working with at the outset, if they are asking for help. Yes, it was an assumption that he is working with EVN, but it was an entirely valid one, like what direction 'up' is in.

There are probably many many other developers in the world who ask why we would choose to develop for the EV3 engine, Hudson. People use what they like, or what they have access to. Perhaps he doesn't have Nova or does not want the added complexity.

Give me 3 reasons why anyone would use the EVO engine over the EVN engine. Reasons that don't round down to subjective preference.

1. They don't have Nova 🙂 - this is my favourite reason.

2. Can get away with polygon graphics and lower production standards- though this is somewhat subjective. There were many examples of very fine graphics in many EV/O plugs. In addition since there aren't banks, large shipyard pics or other special ship considerations/features these don't need to be worried with.

3. A well-documented engine that doesn't make claims that it can't back up.

Did I say 3 reasons? I meant 20 reasons...

rmx256, on Jul 20 2005, 02:35 PM, said:

1. They don't have Nova 🙂 - this is my favourite reason.

2. Can get away with polygon graphics and lower production standards- though this is somewhat subjective. There were many examples of very fine graphics in many EV/O plugs. In addition since there aren't banks, large shipyard pics or other special ship considerations/features these don't need to be worried with.

3. A well-documented engine that doesn't make claims that it can't back up.
    View Post

1: Not an argument at all in my book. If they're serious about their art, they'll spend the measly $30 for the most recent, fully functioned engine. If the game its self, the development tools or the copyright licence cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, I could understand your point. But seriously $30? Kids; go without your sherbet-dips for a couple of weeks and you'll have that licence code in your hands before you know it.

2: Anyone who thinks that just because they have fewer colours to play with, they don't have to try as hard with their graphics, isn't worthy of the title 'Developer'. Perhaps the title 'Reducer' would be more appropriate. If anything, the challenges of the older graphics engines should mean that artists have to put more work in, not less.

3: And that argument won't stand the test of time. In a couple of years, if not sooner, N will be as well documented as C or O ever were. Then what? And based on my experience of these boards, I'd be inclined to say that the relative lack of official documentation on N has meant that the community at large has put far more effort into annotating, commenting upon and sharing their own findings.