What happens when?

Speculation

I haven't tried this (yet), and was wondering if anyone else has.

What happens when you set an outfit to reference two different weapons? Does Nova simply pick one over the other (in order of Modtype or in order of RID), or will it accurately reference both types?

If I get some extra time in the future I plan to test this, but if someone else has some extra free time... 😉 (or if you already know what happens...)

Searching, via Google or...otherwise (I'm looking at >you< board search feature) turned up no results for this question for me.

You can only have one weap per outfit, and it must be modval 1.

Idano. If it did take it, it would handle it as two separate weapons. I think.

No, when you take off from a planet, your outfits are converted into weapons, then when you land they are converted back. It couldnt handle two weapons per outf, it would just mess things up.

use the onBuy field if you want the purchase of one weapon to grant a bunch of em.

This also applies to ammo as well.

GutlessWonder, on Jul 19 2005, 06:09 PM, said:

What happens when you set an outfit to reference two different weapons? Does Nova simply pick one over the other (in order of Modtype or in order of RID), or will it accurately reference both types?
View Post

I just tested this on EV:N1.0.8. First, you have to use the TMPLs to edit the weapon into ModTypes/ModVals 2 through 4 since neither Novatools nor Mission Computer will let you put a "1" in those ModType2..4 fields. The result is that the weapons in ModTypes2..4 are simply ignored by the game-engine. The outfits show up OK, and are purchasable, take up mass, show up in pilot info, and the pilotlog.txt, but are simply non-functional as weapons. Even if classified as secondary weapons, they won't appear in the status bar.

NebuchadnezzaR, on Jul 21 2005, 08:06 AM, said:

use the onBuy field if you want the purchase of one weapon to grant a bunch of em.
View Post

You have to be careful with this approach since there is a bug/anomaly when using the Gxxx and Dxxx operators in an outfit resource's OnPurchase and OnSell statements. See Slouch's thread for more details.

NebuchadnezzaR, on Jul 21 2005, 11:06 AM, said:

No, when you take off from a planet, your outfits are converted into weapons, then when you land they are converted back. It couldnt handle two weapons per outf, it would just mess things up.
View Post

And yet it handles two oütf's per weapon just fine. Illegal and legal ionic particle cannons, for instance, reference the same wëap. And, too, when you're in space you can still get scanned for having the illegal version, which means that the engine doesn't "convert" outfits to and from weapons.

The only caveat with having multiple outfits for the same weapon is that a ship that comes stock with those weapons is given the outfits with the lowest resource ID among outfits associated with that weapon. Thus, PVIV's, manticores, pirate 'bridge D's, and several other ships that "ought to have" illegal ion cannons actually have legal ones when you capture them.

I cannot think of any reason for Matt Burch to have disallowed the association of a single oütf with multiple wëap's or ammunitions, but because he did we have to work within those restrictions, and thus the answers given in this thread. Specifically rmx256 and Keldor Sarn are correct, as explained in detail by Arturo.

You are absolutely right about the use of OnBuy, too.

I'm glad this webboard has people willing to test things out and share the knowledge they've gleaned. 🆒

Qaanol, on Jul 21 2005, 09:24 PM, said:

And yet it handles two oütf's per weapon just fine. Illegal and legal ionic particle cannons, for instance, reference the same wëap. And, too, when you're in space you can still get scanned for having the illegal version, which means that the engine doesn't "convert" outfits to and from weapons.

The only caveat with having multiple outfits for the same weapon is that a ship that comes stock with those weapons is given the outfits with the lowest resource ID among outfits associated with that weapon. Thus, PVIV's, manticores, pirate 'bridge D's, and several other ships that "ought to have" illegal ion cannons actually have legal ones when you capture them.

I cannot think of any reason for Matt Burch to have disallowed the association of a single oütf with multiple wëap's or ammunitions, but because he did we have to work within those restrictions, and thus the answers given in this thread. Specifically rmx256 and Keldor Sarn are correct, as explained in detail by Arturo.

You are absolutely right about the use of OnBuy, too.

I'm glad this webboard has people willing to test things out and share the knowledge they've gleaned. 🆒
View Post

Nova does handle weapons slightly differently to other outfits, I know this much. Maybe it keeps a list of both your weapons and outfits and when you land it compares the two to see which outfits your weapons match up to. Thus if you capture a ship with a weapon for which no outfit exists you'll still be able to use until you land. Then it compares them and sees that you don't have an outfit for it so deletes it.