Resrouce Data Corruption

Mission Computer Bug

Well, before you ask, yes, I do have the latest version of Mission Computer.

Anyways, I maed a plug which adds a new weapon to the game. I tested it out, and it didn't work at first, so I tried a few things, finally realising that my problem was that it's resource I.D. was too high. So I set the I.D. to 500 so it wouldn't replace any existing ships. I started EVN back up, and my weapon worked.

But, like most plugins, it wasn't what I wanted it. I wanted it to have a lot more impact. This actually created a problem, because it didn't do enough impact, so you could keep the weapon (it ws a beam) close enough to the enemy ship that they'd just blow up after a couple of seconds.

So, with a few changes in mind, I quit EVN and started up Mission Computer again. I changed a few things, then started EVN back again. My weapon didn't work, at all. So I went back into MC to see what the problem was and fix it. And to my surprise, there were numerous things about the weapon that were different (Some which could explain why it wouldn't work.). So I fixed them all and put them back, and started EVN, and the weapon worked again.

But again, not how I wanted. SO I went back into MC, and allready a whole bunch of the data is wrong again. This has now happened many many times, and it's quite a struggle trying to make sure that I have all of the right data before saving and going into EVN.

So, I've come to you gracious people for help :p. I 'd like to find out what exactly is causing this problem and see if there's any way to fix it. I'm open to any ideas any of you might have. And if you want, I can send you a copy of the plug so you can try and see what the problem is oyurself, or if the problem even happens on your computer.

P.S. I only have one other plug in at the moment, which shouldn't affect it at all. It's a mission plug I made to give you 5mil money for going to Earth (I use it so I can get enough money to be able to test out plugs I've made). And the strange thing is, it doesn't get affected at all when I open up EVN and use the mission.

P.P.S. Is there a reason why when I put the ionize colour to black, in the game it was blue?

This post has been edited by Septcanmat : 11 July 2005 - 12:23 PM

P.P.S. Is there a reason why when I put the ionize colour to black, in the game it was blue?

Setting the ionize color to black sets it to default. The game reads it as default, which is blue. Set it off black slightly to get the effect you want.

Also, are you running any other programs before or after using mission computer, like pangea software? I don't know about others, but strange things happen if I play Nanosaur 2, for instance, and then open mission computer, or even EVN alone.

Crusader

Yah, i got the ionize colour figured out. Its working as blacknow.

Hmmmm, no, just itunes and some chat apps. But strangely enough, it stopped doing it this morning,a dn everythign is working. AND, the weapon is turning out great too. Tried it out on a pirate starbridge, it worked well. Tried it out on a pirate enterprise, it worked well. I'm happy. 😄

Crusader Alpha, on Jul 11 2005, 11:08 AM, said:

Nanosaur 2, for instance

OMG! So THAT'S what's been happening!!! :huh:

If the problems recur, or if anyone else experiences such issues, here's what I can think of off the top of my head that I would need to know in order to track them down:

What sort of changes had happened in the resource? Has this only affected weapons, or other resources as well? Did the changes happen immediately when you closed the resource, or only when you saved and re-opened the file?

Hmm. I've stayed away from MissionComputer because it kept corrupting my resources when I simply pushed "close". 6500/250, 8.6, 128 megs of RAM (MissionComputer allocated 32 megs of it). It simply wipes the resource I just worked on down to zeroes. Any ideas why?

David Arthur, on Jul 13 2005, 02:35 PM, said:

If the problems recur, or if anyone else experiences such issues, here's what I can think of off the top of my head that I would need to know in order to track them down:

What sort of changes had happened in the resource? Has this only affected weapons, or other resources as well? Did the changes happen immediately when you closed the resource, or only when you saved and re-opened the file?
View Post

i had this problem with spobs, it would keep changing my planets into wormholes (not picture wise, just settings wise). i'd save, and reopen the exact spob resource, and it would be back to a wormhole. screwed up the data in most of the fields. it'll probably happen again, when it does, i'll take a screen shot.

This post has been edited by antihero : 13 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

The Apple Core said:

I've stayed away from MissionComputer because it kept corrupting my resources when I simply pushed "close". 6500/250, 8.6, 128 megs of RAM (MissionComputer allocated 32 megs of it). It simply wipes the resource I just worked on down to zeroes.

antihero said:

i had this problem with spobs, it would keep changing my planets into wormholes (not picture wise, just settings wise). i'd save, and reopen the exact spob resource, and it would be back to a wormhole. screwed up the data in most of the fields.

I can't reproduce either of these - do they occur in 3.1, or are they from older versions? Do they occur consistently, or only on occasion? Do they by any chance happen after you have done certain specific things to the resource?

The Apple Core - does this affect all resources, or specific ones? When you say 'pushed close', do you mean closing a resource window (with the OK or Cancel button - does it make a difference?), or closing a file?

Well, it only happened that one night, which was strange. And it was just a weap resource. It didn't affect a mission resource I had at all. If it does happen again, I will take screenshots and try and document it as best I can and give you a full review.

I've had this in a generally unstable system with ResEdit before... It may be more of a system issue.

This was 3.0.2. And by close, I don't think it mattered if I hit "OK" or "Cancel". It affected any resource any time you double-click it. It happens about every other time. It flashes an error message saying "could not write to resource ###" or similar.

My 6500 is currently incapacitated, but as soon as I can, I'll get a screenshot.

mine was in 3.1, and it's after i edit the resource and save it. it would suddenly revert to the ######ed up setting and would require a res-edit fix. if i tried to change it in mission computer itself, it wouldn't change the file, but after the res edit fix, it was fine.

it's done it in a ship file too, i had created a new ship, and when i went to check on it because it wasn't working, it came out with -275xx in ship length and -3xxx in mass, screwed up the flags, and messed up the require fields. did some others (the x's are numbers i can't remember).

i also had a problem with the first desc in the mission resource for mission 128. it wouldn't save the 4000 id desc file.

but all of these problems happen at a random time, so it just becomes a slight annoyance when i fly into a planet and blow up in the test run.

"The Apple Cřre" said:

This was 3.0.2. And by close, I don't think it mattered if I hit "OK" or "Cancel". It affected any resource any time you double-click it. It happens about every other time. It flashes an error message saying "could not write to resource ###" or similar.

Have you tried 3.1? This sounds a lot like the problem which 3.1's primary purpose was to fix.

"antihero" said:

mine was in 3.1, and it's after i edit the resource and save it.

Is it new in 3.1, or was it there before? (My site still links to 3.0.2 if you need it to check.)