Constant Map Problem

similar to the Vell-Os sense

I'm trying to make myself an outfit that functions as a "Scouting Array", effectively it would be a constant map that would stay with the ship, similar to what you get at the T5 level when you're a Vell-Os. In that case, after looking at the date files, the mission grants a persistant outfit that cannot be sold, whose function is a map.

This is all well and good, so I tried to do something similar by having an outfit in the outfitters that, upon purchase, would grant my mapping outfit. (especially since purchasing the constant map outfit directly didn't work at all, it simply acted as a normal map outfit, disappearing after purchase).

Unfortunately, this approach didn't work for me. Upon purchase of my outfit, it does not grant the mapping outfit. I tested to make sure that the Gxxx operator works properly by having my scouting outfit also grant a mass expansion. This worked as expected, but it still did not grant my mapping outfit.

Can anyone give me some help with this? Do persistant map outfits need to be given in a different place besides the outfitters?

I believe the vellos thing uses a cron which grants the map again every day.

GutlessWonder, on May 31 2005, 07:35 PM, said:

Can anyone give me some help with this? Do persistant map outfits need to be given in a different place besides the outfitters?View Post

Map outfits cannot be persistant- they will always vanish immediately after purchase (the same is true of paints, by the way). The Vell-os Area Sense works by means of a crön (RID 381), which is enabled by an NCB that is set when the appropriate mission starts (B424*). Every day, as long as bit 424 is set, the crön fires, and grants you a map of the surrounding systems.

You could set up your oufit easily by creating a normal outfit that does absolutely nothing (-1 in every ModType field), copying the Vell-os Area Sense crön, and changing its EnableOn to Oxxx, where xxx is the RID of your "Scouting Array" outfit. By doing this, the crön would grant you a map every day, as long as you own the Scouting Array. If you sell it, your map will stop being updated.

Edwards

*The Area Sense's use of bit 424 causes a bug in the game, as bit 424 is un -set towards the end of the storyline. the stops the Area Sense from working, and I believe it will be fixed in 1.0.9.

Thanks, both of you. 😄

I suspected that was going to have to be a workaround solution for me, after I made my post, but it's nice to know that's what the makers of Nova did. Again, thanks!

I had to do the same thing with SFA.

UT: I might say "Arpia twoo" then 😉