Prolly a newbie question

Disable buying ships

Might it be possible to have a mission where you get a certain ship at the end, then when your put in that ship automatically, you cannot buy other ships at all.
Someone helping me out on this would be appreciated. I already have the mission done and it sticks you in the ship automatically.

Diehard2k0, on May 15 2005, 01:30 PM, said:

Might it be possible to have a mission where you get a certain ship at the end, then when your put in that ship automatically, you cannot buy other ships at all.
Someone helping me out on this would be appreciated. I already have the mission done and it sticks you in the ship automatically.View Post

To prevent the player from buying any ship, you would have to modify the shďp resource for every purchasable ship in the game. This will greatly limit the plug's compatability with other plugs, but that may or may not be a problem.

Anyway, the simplest method of doing this would be to add " & !Bxxx" to the end of each shďp's Availability field, where Bxxx is a bit that you set when you give the player their ship. This will prevent the player from buying any of those ships, unless Bxxx is not set ( ! Bxxx). You may need to enclose the original test expression in parentheses, to force the game to read it properly.

Edwards

Edwards, on May 15 2005, 02:19 PM, said:

To prevent the player from buying any ship, you would have to modify the shďp resource for every purchasable ship in the game. This will greatly limit the plug's compatability with other plugs, but that may or may not be a problem.

Anyway, the simplest method of doing this would be to add " & !Bxxx" to the end of each shďp's Availability field, where Bxxx is a bit that you set when you give the player their ship. This will prevent the player from buying any of those ships, unless Bxxx is not set ( ! Bxxx). You may need to enclose the original test expression in parentheses, to force the game to read it properly.

Edwards
View Post

Ok, thats what i thought i would have to do, but i thought maybe someone else knew an easier way to do it. If thats the way i gotta do it, then dang. i got alot of stuff to do 😞 Oh well. Off i go!. Thanks, Edwards

Or you could make it so the ship always takes your money away. . . I dunno.

Fnoigy, on May 15 2005, 02:31 PM, said:

Or you could make it so the ship always takes your money away. . . I dunno.
View Post

how would i go about that?

I don't know, but I know it can be done. However, this would have the nasty side-effect of not allowing you to buy outfits or refuel. It's best to just not really have a ship that you can't get out of. It's too much work.

I understand your viewpont, but i have it set to regenerate the energy indefinatelly, so it's always full. The armour is sufficient enough to keep it surviving, and it gets upgrades as the storyline moves on, and when they complete the first, they can choose one of 4 others to complete and it goes to the end of that, and then it's just conqure everything. But there is no need to buy anything at all, and the energy is taken cared of. Might someone be able to tell me how to make the ship make the money negetive? It would be so much easier.

Missions can pay different amounts, and there is a way to make it take some fraction of the players money. Just set it to take 100 percent. And make sure they cant get any paying missions after that, and make the mission unavailable if they dominated any stells (or assume its impossible or something? I can walk you through this part, but its kind of a side problem. Just make sure they have no money.)

Some help on this money thing would be appreciated. Right now i have the basics set up, the whole storyline is all set up, i just need to make it so once you get your first ship, you can't have any money for upgrades or anything. That is the only part i cannot figure out.

I just told you: Its part of the mission rescource, where it tells you how much you get payed. There is a way for it to automatically deduct some fraction, just set that fraction to 100%.

PayVal          What you get if you're successful and you return to ReturnStel
0 or -1            No pay
1 and up           This number of credits
-10128 to -10383   Clean legal record with the govt with this ID
-20128 to -20383   Clean legal record with the govt with this ID, and all its allies
-30128 to -30383   Clean legal record with the govt with this ID, and all its classmates
(b)-40001 to -40099   Take away this % of the player’s cash (-40001 = 1%, -40002 = 2%, etc.)(/b)
-50000 and down   Take away this number of credits at mission start (-50000 = 0, -50001 = 1, etc.)

Also, if you give the player a rank with a large negative salary (say, -2000000000), it should keep their money down around zero. No need to mess around with existing planets or missions.

And yes, -2,000,000,000 is a legal number for the salary field, which is a 32-bit integer. Legal values range from 2,147,483,647 to -2,147,483,648. If you want to give someone a salary of over a billion credits per day, you can. :blink:

Edwards

Thank Edwards, that solved that problem. Now a new one has arissen.

Kinda like in the vell-os missions, i have the ship you get spawn automatically upon completetion of the mission. The thing is, it doesn't load with any of the weapons i assigned it, but just for testing purposes i set it so i could buy the EXACT SAME ship, and it comes with all the weapons i assigned it. Might someone be able to help me with this problem?

Edwards, on May 16 2005, 06:31 AM, said:

Also, if you give the player a rank with a large negative salary (say, -2000000000), it should keep their money down around zero. No need to mess around with existing planets or missions.

And yes, -2,000,000,000 is a legal number for the salary field, which is a 32-bit integer. Legal values range from 2,147,483,647 to -2,147,483,648. If you want to give someone a salary of over a billion credits per day, you can. :blink:

Edwards
View Post

Yep, that one surprised me as well - when I wrote my annotated templates, I went through all the ResEdit templates, to note which fields were 32-bit to better signal them, and I was surprised to see that one.

Diehard2k0, on May 16 2005, 03:27 PM, said:

Thank Edwards, that solved that problem. Now a new one has arissen.

Kinda like in the vell-os missions, i have the ship you get spawn automatically upon completetion of the mission. The thing is, it doesn't load with any of the weapons i assigned it, but just for testing purposes i set it so i could buy the EXACT SAME ship, and it comes with all the weapons i assigned it. Might someone be able to help me with this problem?
View Post

Make sure you use the right ship-changing operator:

Holy Nova Bible said:

Cxxx - change the player's ship to ship type (ID) xxx. The player will keep all
of his previous outfit items and won't be given any of the default
weapons or items that come with ship type xxx.

Exxx - change the player's ship to ship type (ID) xxx. The player will keep all
of his previous outfit items and will also be given all of the default
weapons and items that come with ship type xxx.

Hxxx - change the player's ship to ship type (ID) xxx. The player will lose any
nonpersistent outfit items he previously had, but will be given all of
the default weapons and items that come with ship type xxx.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 16 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

Sorry to say, but that actually didn't help at all 😞 I am using hXXX to change the ship and nothing is loading. I get the cloak to load and thats about it. No previous weapons, no new weapons, no armours, nothing but the cloak.

That's really odd. Could you tell us which weapons there are when buying the ship, and which ones you have after getting it by hXXX? And where does the cloak comes from? Is it a persistant stuff that was on the previous ship?

Zacha Pedro, on May 16 2005, 10:11 AM, said:

That's really odd. Could you tell us which weapons there are when buying the ship, and which ones you have after getting it by hXXX? And where does the cloak comes from? Is it a persistant stuff that was on the previous ship?
View Post

The weapons on the first ship are the one on the shuttle ID 128 i believe it is. The cloak is on the new ship you get, and when you are given the new ship by hXXX, there are no weapons on it, just the cloak that is on it.

Hmm... Could you .bin or .sit your plug-in and attach it to one post, so that we can get a look at it? In the meantime, you can always use GXXX operators giving the weapons along with the HXXX to have the desired effect. It's only a workaround, though, it should work without it...

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 16 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

I think it might have helped if i mentioned i am using the EVNEW program to do this. version 1.0.4 i believe. If you would like, i have AOL messanger and Yahoo messanger, might be a little easier to solve this without posting every time, then we can post the resolution afterwards? on AIM i am diehard20000002, and on yahoo i am diehard2k0. I am on both, but listed as offline for security reasons.