I had the greatest idea!

Dr. Trowel, on Apr 28 2005, 12:00 PM, said:

<Brilliant idea for a very strange plug>
View Post

Now that sounds like fun. It probably would end up needing to have resources copied from teaser plugs, to avoid ID conflicts, but otherwise, 😄 . find out what sort of a response you get. Advertise it something like:
Writer's block got you down?
Can't think of anything you can do to your own project?
Then relax- creating small worlds of little use for Dr. Trowel's World of Themelessness!
Lack of plot is an asset.

----------

Anyway, about zapp's idea, IMO it probably wouldn't work, for the reasons that Pace pointed out. Feel free to work on it on your own, though. You seem to have a possibility for a joining thread for the plug. It'll be hard, though.

----------

And zapp, as I read it, Dr. Trowel's idea is for a full TC- sort of. It will remove all or most of the Nova universe, and replace it with fragments and teasers for all sorts of things, from Star Wars to giant space frogs. And they'll all interact. With no common thread.

On the topic itself: I like the idea, but finding a connection between all those different sci-fi movies is going to be tricky... if it does succeed, great job!

On the Steelix affair:

<flame>

On this subject, I think you're a complete jerk, you know that? I've never seen Steelix do anything as far as insulting to you at all, and you have no right to be so repulsive. Your reason for saying Steelix can't read it is because you know all you're getting from him is criticism. Well, what's the point of posting an idea if you don't want criticism in the first place? You also said that "all I want is for him to help me". If you want him to help you, why act repulsive towards him? Show kindness and you will get it. Listen, if you don't like Steelix for any reason, just ignore him/his comments, but posting "Steelix please don't read this" is just plain stupid.

</flame>

Apologies for my anger. If you want to flame me, go ahead, and hopefully it'll knock some sense into my now boiling head.

This post has been edited by kitkut : 30 April 2005 - 08:33 AM

You're right Kitkut, I didn't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. Does it say flame because you're breathing fire??? <FLAME!> Yeah, I can breath fire....

Does it say flame because you're breathing fire??? <FLAME!> Yeah, I can breath fire....

n00b...

It says <flame> because he's flaming you.

As to your idea. I don't think so. It would be to fake.

Like I said....

Zapp, flamming is giving, err, "constructive criticism".

This post has been edited by general11 : 28 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

general11, on Apr 28 2005, 03:36 PM, said:

Zapp, flamming is giving, err, "constructive criticism".
View Post

<applause>

On the subject of the idea, I guess it wouldn't go over well... But Dr. Trowel's idea!

Thanks alot. Almost everyone hates my idea..... don't worry, I'm used to it. Kind of.... 😞

Crossover's are harder than you might think. even one that is relatively well written (See "Far Flung Hope", by 'Bombsquad") tends to be top heavy with contradictions. how you would reconcile ST with Sw is beyond me anyway.. totaly different technologies.

Zapp, try to realize that many of the people here know much more about plug-ins than relative newbies like you and I, and don't apreacit it when you trumpet an old and cliche plug-in idea as your own personal spark of genious.

That's the whole point! They're not supposed to 'reconcile', and no matter what I did, short of recreating the entire thing, they never will. At some point you have to let go of reality, just play for the fun of it, not just because it's technologically accurate. I've already started work on the governments, and have most of the Battlestar Galactica stuff done (duh, I made that plug). I just wish you guys would stop talk about 'reconciling' and start talking about 'fun'. If I get things my way, there's gonna be giant battles between the Federation and the Empire. The Borg and Cylons have an alliance too....

Listen, guys, kitkut in particular, just drop it. I'm done here and I don't need to be defended. This topic is degenerating into nothingness, so let's just let the topic get on.

Oh, and considering I'm not helping in any way, I just saw the words "The Borg and Cyclons have an alliance too". That makes no sense. The Borg want to annihilate everything. They wouldn't ally with the Cyclons just because the Cyclons want to destroy the Human race, unless they assisted the Cyclons destroying the Humans, then double-crossed the Cyclons and blew them to pieces.

Obviously you didn't watch a particular Star Trek: The Next Generation. It makes perfect sense if you watch that two-parter. Data's evil brother had the emotion chip, so he lures Data to be bad. The brother controls Borg, because TO THE BORG, THEY WERE PERFECTION. To the Borg, completely robotic is perfectio, so it only makes sense that the Borg and Cylons would make an alliance, because they both have something to gain.

This post has been edited by zapp : 29 April 2005 - 05:56 AM

:I can't believe I'm chiming in on this:

I believe that the Borg would not ally with the Cylons.

It would be in the Borg's nature to simply attack, disable, and assimilate the Cylon technology into their own. And then destroy the Cylons with their enhanced technology.

The specific Borg that allied with Data and Lore were screwed up. They had been "infected" with a sense of individuality and "singularity" by Captain Picard through the use of the Borg child who was known as Hugh. In Voyager (a particularly repugnant show), the Borg also formed an alliance with Captain Janeway in order to fight against species 8472. While I think this is pretty out of character for the Borg, in this particular case, you could argue that the Borg would form an alliance if their survival depended upon it, and if the party they were allying with could contribute something to the alliance, and finally, if simply disabling and assimilating the prospective ally wasn't an option.

I would be happy to work with someone, especially someone who can do starship graphics and 3D rendering, on a startrek starwars crossover TC/plugin. I have some ideas of my own that I have worked on that I could bring to the table. It's definitely doable. Being a fan of both genres I believe it is possible to do it in such a way as to be true to each storyline, and yet make "fair" matchups at the same time.

I'd explain why that particular episode doesn't count, but SeattleLighting beat me to it.

general11, on Apr 28 2005, 03:21 PM, said:

As to your idea. I don't think so. It would be to fake.
View Post

Fake...Fake...Who cares about fake these days? Everything, almost anywaays, that's in EVN is TOTALLY fake. The weapons. The elements suggested in the names just don't match. Energy can't, as far as known, be contained long enough to create a blast ball that can damage things. I think, this is only my opinion, others may have different ones, I think that what most people are concerned about is: Is the plugin going to be fun?

If you are only worried about how realistic it is, then i tell you, your missing out on a lot.

Great idea zapp. I like it.

(And yes, i know this post made my general11 was on the last page, but i hate it when plugins are disliked before they are givin a chance because they are called too "fake".)

This post has been edited by Slayer LP-5 : 29 April 2005 - 09:26 AM

zapp, on Apr 28 2005, 05:47 PM, said:

This is my idea: all these Sci Fi shows (and EVN) exist is parallel dimensions. But after a fatal mistake by a Polaris scientist, all the dimensions started curving inward, and EVN was in the middle. They all collided at the same point, and Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, and the other shows came into the EVN universe. They took over, and EVN was left with the two pirate bases, wich became known as the "Renegades". They're looking for vengance for their ruthless defeat. Whatever else is up to whoever (or me if it comes down to it) does that part of the plug.

Why does this remind me of Rifts?

That or a typical Comic book crossover like some Buffy the Vampire Slayer/ Xmen crossover.

I can think that it's possible. After becoming Ori'Hara in one universe, you step thourgh a gateway and end up at Starfleet HQ after completeing that storyline, you find yourself on tatooine, finish that and appear on the Andromeda facing Rommie and Doyle "We are not the Droids you are looking for" and swear you were someplace else.

It's Quantum Leap with a massive twist 😄

SeattleLightning, on Apr 29 2005, 01:12 PM, said:

:I can't believe I'm chiming in on this:

I believe that the Borg would not ally with the Cylons.

It would be in the Borg's nature to simply attack, disable, and assimilate the Cylon technology into their own. And then destroy the Cylons with their enhanced technology.

I believe it was written somewhere (perhaps Star Trek the Magazine) That at the beginning, the Borg were supposed to be a "force of nature" then the writers screwed it up (especially with Voyager) and made them just another villain for the Federation to defeat.

Also in that first meeting with the Borg, they referred to Data as Inferior.

But I imagine there must be hundreds of Borg threads out there on the web and usenet.

So, though the whole TC idea would be neat, it would be too difficult an contradictory
Battlestar Galactica and StarWars are not Earth centric, while many of the other ideas are.

A little late, but I don't often look at the Dev Boards. A responce to a post by zapp back on the first page...

Sorry Zapp, but you can be stopped from uploading it to the addons page. If you don't have consent from the people who's work you are taking from, they can pressure Pipeline to remove it from the addons page and not upload it. I've seen it happened with two or three plug compilations before. Of course, if you make everything from scratch yourself (or, if you have a team, they make it from scratch), then there is nothing they can do.

The new Battlestar is vaguely Earthish. They're looking for the forgotten planet, Earth.

I take it no one wants to help me? Really, I can do everything myself (though it will take alot longer) except the sounds. How do you make sounds? No weapon in the game sounds like the Federation phasers ffffFFFZZZZZZZZZ. Also, they're supposed to be contradictory. Parallel dimensions ARE ALWAYS contradictory. TV shows and what scientists say are pretty much always contradictory. I'm just focusing on how fun it would be to see X-wing fighters and Colonial Vipers going head to head.....