Kontik Research Front

Also, where are we going to be? We need need some place to meet.

Yeah, we really need a place to meet. Even if you are doing stuff over summer, you will still have more time than when there's school, so we should at least get more work done than now. If we can't even get any work done at summer, I'm afraid we can officially call Genesis vaporware...:(

Swithich, on Apr 10 2005, 09:07 PM, said:

Also, where are we going to be? We need need some place to meet.
View Post

There's the Xsorbit, thephpbb (but it needs to be rebuilt), theInvision, and the www.kontik.net (isn't up)

Pick one and lets get started. By the way give DB a call down the street and tell him to get his, but in gear. 😄 ( I know he's working hard on Arpia 2, but this is pretty important and shouldn't take that long.)

All you guys just hold on, I'm gonna pull some strings and I'll have a temporary board for you guys in no time. I can host one for you until you get back up on your feet. Let me talk to Darthbob first...

Matthew Walk, on Apr 11 2005, 01:07 PM, said:

All you guys just hold on, I'm gonna pull some strings and I'll have a temporary board for you guys in no time. I can host one for you until you get back up on your feet. Let me talk to Darthbob first...
View Post

That would be great. Thanks! 🙂

I too know how you feel. Don't forget, I lost all of my work on the IPB KRF. Obviously there's a chance we could be using it again, so maybe not. And my blog, but that was for the better, because it's back and better now. Have a look at it!

Anyway, listen up everybody, I'm going to explain why I think we should use IPB.

Okay, firstly, I think IPB is a better web board system than phpBB. While I understand prophile and DarthBob know php or whatever and not CSS, CSS seems to be highly straightforward. I'm already getting a grasp on it.

The other problem was that we wanted our own domain. Not a problem, since January 22nd, InvisionFree supports subdomains, domains, whatever. So we could still have kontik.net, and IPB. You could still have your website.

Another problem is the topics accumilated on the phpBB KRF that DarthBob has on backup. I'm offering to manually bring across everything important (Or, if team members don't feel comfortable with me seeing their important things, someone else could do that) and bring across all the members. It'll take time, but I'm prepared to do it for the IPB KRF.

We've been slowly working on it even while phpBB is up, because, no offence to you guys, but we knew it was going to go down. Free Nuke Hosting sucks.

I'll have to finish this post later. I have more convincing stuff for you, but I need to get back to class.

Okay. I was e-mailed by DarthBob just a minute ago.

His e-mail was a little vague on the details, but I think we're using the IPB KRF. I think permenantly. I really, really hope he meant that. Matt, he also mentioned your hosting and Sintle, so I dunno. I think he means that we'll be using the IPB KRF on Matt's hosting space until we can "get on our feet"

He also wanted to clarify this is his. Even though I may be root admin, yes, this is all his, and he uses the same permission mask I do.

Uh...I'm confused about what's happening, I'm getting the hosting from my pal Tman directly. We have 50gb of space and unlimted bandwidth and mySQL's. eMail me when you get everything you need and then we can set stuff up, if it turns out that you can't use IPB, then your still good to go because then we can set you up.

Steelix, on Apr 12 2005, 09:49 AM, said:

Okay. I was e-mailed by DarthBob just a minute ago.

His e-mail was a little vague on the details, but I think we're using the IPB KRF. I think permenantly. I really, really hope he meant that. Matt, he also mentioned your hosting and Sintle, so I dunno. I think he means that we'll be using the IPB KRF on Matt's hosting space until we can "get on our feet"

He also wanted to clarify this is his. Even though I may be root admin, yes, this is all his, and he uses the same permission mask I do.
View Post

Clarify that the site is his? or what do you mean? I don't think it matters.

Okay, obviously the site ignored my post.

I think that what is going to happen is that my IPB KRF is going to be hosted at mWalk's site. Either that or DarthBob is going to turn down my offer and use... phpBB.

Ok, Darthbob, Steelix and me need to have a meeting, will host the KRF, I'll get a sub forum/category mod if we use phpBB, truthfully it would be easier to use phpBB but if you want to use IPB that's fine...Will talk later about it...I'm at school right now.

You're lucky. Our school computers are going through some new system thing and the internet keeps going out every few minutes. I've tried to post almost 12 times.

Now, as I was trying to say, and now I'm putting it into the clipboard so I don't have to rewrite the bloody thing, is that I think IPB would be better. We can set up a meeting either by e-mail, or on irc.ambrosia.net. We do have #kontik, but if you want privacy...

Anyway, IPB KRF is ready to go. I can't log in from school for some reason, but everything is ready, except I don't have members, and there are still some old topics left, plus I don't have any announcements. I can take care of the topics today, and perfect some things in the background, but the board cannot be fully complete until we have members (I've had to delete all members except Admins, and prophile. For those who are not aware, prophile has stepped down from his admin position. He has been replaced by Matt here.)

By that I mean that in order for members to be placed into their plug-in teams, they need to exist. I can't pre-place. Once some members join, they can be placed into their usergroups quickly as soon as I get online and resume any work over the KRF.

Steelix, on Apr 13 2005, 03:11 AM, said:

Okay, obviously the site ignored my post.

I think that what is going to happen is that my IPB KRF is going to be hosted at mWalk's site. Either that or DarthBob is going to turn down my offer and use... phpBB.
View Post

Well I doubt we can actually move your board to Matt's space. 😉 In addition, I do not believe it is still possible to get IPB 1.3 legally anymore besides on previously established places like invivionsfree so unless you'd like to fork over $200 phpBB is the way to go. Although I believe their new version 3.0 should be out sometime soon(and then maybe I can convert you :p).

As of January 22nd, we can have my current IPB moved to Matt's space. I'm positive of this. Your admin account still exists, go to the IPB KRF, log-in, go the Admin CP and check out Domain Manager. Since we already have space, we can use the board for free.

Oh I though you meant actually move all the software and DBs to Matt's place.

Yeah because we can't move the Database and Software to our server, all the domain manager does is tell over domain names to point to the same space. I thought we wanted to host everything on ours, I can set up a sun forum section just for you guys and give you all the access you need.

It would be easier to allow it to remotely link to our board. That way, should Matt's server go down for any reason, the KRF is still accesible from s4.invisionfree.com/kontik/

Apart from this, I don't see the need for actually loading the software on. If it was free, this would probably be a better idea, but this is the only option we have, and I'd prefer to have an IPB board. We aren't limited any more than if we were to upload the software, if not advantaged slightly.

I'm not sure of how phpBB backups work, DB, is it possible to extract the KRF Charter from your latest backup? I want to put it in the Guidelines section.

Also, and you'll probably know thse off the top of your head, can I have the names of any private forums for the projects? I know some projects have multiple private boards, in particular, Genesis. These haven't been created.

Ah, just a quick question,

Q: Why dont you just do it here? I mean you could ask Ambrosia, that way development is centered here and even the casual EV browser can find it. You can upload stuff in posts here too so whats the problem? Or do you want power on boards of your own?

Soul Reaver, on Apr 14 2005, 10:34 AM, said:

Ah, just a quick question,

Q: Why dont you just do it here? I mean you could ask Ambrosia, that way development is centered here and even the casual EV browser can find it. You can upload stuff in posts here too so whats the problem? Or do you want power on boards of your own?
View Post

Heh...heh...Ambrosia's not gonna do that for us, and it would be better if the people who came up with the idea have the power...