news: is there any way to use this

other than through crons?

the title pretty much says it all... I need more than the 1000 mission resources for my plugin, so I'm using crons. However, I'd like to tie news into each mission/cron. Obviously I can set a bit operator for each mission to essentially turn news for this mission on. But is there anyway to activate the news strings other than through the field given in the cron?

Ever played EVC/O? 😉

To answer your question, you can use an "oöps" resource. From the Bible:

Stellar      The stellar object this disaster is linked to
             128-1628           ID of a stellar object
             -1                 Any planet or station (use sparingly)
             -2                 Nothing (used for mission-related news)

The third option looks like what you want.

The bar news for each disaster is contained in STR# RID 8101, and is hard-linked, so that the news for oöps RID 128 is the first string in the disaster news STR#, the news for RID 129 is the second string in the disaster news STR#, etc.

This post has been edited by Edwards : 20 March 2005 - 01:07 AM

Edwards,

Since I had been under the (evidently mistaken) impression that the öops resource name was the text used in the news item for "disasters" using the -2 Location option, I just finished a round of reality checks. The behavior I'm seeing is that the news is simply a random selection of all available STR# 8101 strings without regard to any current öops resources using the -2 option. Looks like a bug to me, or at least a documentation error. Can you verify this? Also, what is your source of information for the öops to STR# relationship? I can't find anything to that effect in the latest (March 19, 2004) version of the Nova Bible or in the EV Bible either.
Oh, I'm running EV:N v1.0.8 on a Mac.

Edwards, on Mar 19 2005, 11:02 PM, said:

Ever played EVC/O? 😉

To answer your question, you can use an "oöps" resource. From the Bible:

Stellar      The stellar object this disaster is linked to
             128-1628           ID of a stellar object
             -1                 Any planet or station (use sparingly)
             -2                 Nothing (used for mission-related news)

The third option looks like what you want.

The bar news for each disaster is contained in STR# RID 8101, and is hard-linked, so that the news for oöps RID 128 is the first string in the disaster news STR#, the news for RID 129 is the second string in the disaster news STR#, etc.
View Post

Thanks Edwards.

I have played EV C/O, but this is the first platform I've tried developing on.

hmm... STR#8101 seems to just display its contents randomly... Regardless of which oops are functioning at the time

Never mind. Ignore everything I've said.
As far as I can tell, the "-2" stellar option is broken in EVN. Whatever I do, I can't get an öops with that stellar to start. It works fine with a stellar of -1. Also, the EVO port news items don't work.

Arturo said:

The behavior I'm seeing is that the news is simply a random selection of all available STR# 8101 strings without regard to any current öops resources using the -2 option.

(insert very embarrassed grin here)
Sorry, the number I meant to give was 810 2.
Anyway, as for where I got the number, I looked at the EVO Data Files, and there they were, in STR# 8102.

I think mission-related news are meant to be displayed with cröns in Nova.