Shipyards.

rmx256, on Mar 13 2005, 07:11 PM, said:

I got a great deal on Bryce and I was like, "Wow. A real 3d program! I can make stuff!" I was totally psyched.

Two weeks later I gave up, then DLed Mechanisto- and I'm still there. I find it ironic I perfer that to something tht I bought and paid for. Give it a try 🙂 You may find it easier.
View Post

I hated Bryce, downloaded Terragen and haven't gone back.

You can make very complex things in Mech'... Here's a few from my TC (not all are by me):
Cruiser (tycho61uk)
Fighter (tycho61uk)
Battleship (me)
Cruiser (me)

Just as in any modeling program, you are so more severely limited by your creativity than the tool you are using. You can't make the 'snazzy' one-object ships in Mech, but you can make some neat stuff. 🙂 And it's really easy to make sprites. Give it an honest chance!

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 14 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

Klepsacovic, on Mar 13 2005, 08:01 PM, said:

I'm still messing around with a free copy of Cinema 4D from MacAddict. It's fairly easy, though I have no clue of how to add or make textures or export anything in a way that is useful for plug-ins.
I tried Mechanisto, I don't see how I would be able to make a large, complex ship with it. Maybe I need more time.
View Post

Cinema is awesome. I got it for Christmas, and I've found the best way to learn is just to do online tutorials, of which there are many.
I agree about Mechanisto, while I'm sure it can produce cool stuff, it is more time consuming, less intuitive and less powerful then Cinema.

If you need help with a 3D modeling program, you can always post over at Just Graphics.

I have pretty much the same problem as Fnoigy, except that I use blender instead of bryce... I can make ships, but I don't know how to make materials or textures that make it look like an actual spaceship instead of a pristine plastic replica of one. I haven't yet figured out how to make my own textures that don't suck, and I don't know where to find useful ones elsewhere.

So does anyone have any advice?

Keldor Sarn, on Mar 16 2005, 03:30 PM, said:

I have pretty much the same problem as Fnoigy, except that I use blender instead of bryce... I can make ships, but I don't know how to make materials or textures that make it look like an actual spaceship instead of a pristine plastic replica of one. I haven't yet figured out how to make my own textures that don't suck, and I don't know where to find useful ones elsewhere.

So does anyone have any advice?
View Post

please post this at just graphics.

http://www.ambrosias...TML/005135.html

Here is help.

Can this topic please go back to talking about shipyards..

Evula: I hope you can maintain. Or i wont´be able to put anything together before the summer.
Seems there are going to be some contributions too. So my .mac is probably out of the picture.