I'm working on a TC/plug-in

I have some questions and comments...

As others have said before, EV is captivating not because of its advanced graphics or gameplay, but because of its storylines. I have long wanted to write my own EV storyline, but have no interest in reworking any of the graphics. As a result, I am making a 'plug-in' that requires a complete replacement of all EVN files. However, its not quite a TC because I am using all of the EVN original graphics.

What I plan on making will be a "re-imagining" of EV. The ships will all look like the EVN ships, but they will have different names, and different capabilities.

Questions
------------
In the desc file, you can put a conditional statement that will only appear if a certain bit is reads as true. I believe this should look like this:

{b100 "this only shows when b100 is set to true"}

Does anyone know if you can make the coniditon more complicated? I have tested this idea but can't seem to make it work. For example, I can't make this work:

{b100 | b101 "this would show if either b100 or b101 tested to be true"}

Is there a way to make this work, or a clever work around to get it to work?
-------------
Currently, my TC consists of about 7 or so data files. When it is completed it will contain about 50. Its not necessarily big, but I have divided it a certain way for ease of organization. When I am finished, I am loathe to try and post 50 different downloads just so someone can play it, but I am even more loathe to have to cut and paste in order to compile them all. Would anyone object to 50 downloads? Or can anyone think of another work around?
---------------
Comments
---------------
I've been working on this TC for the better part of a full year now. I've gotten about... I don't know... 20% of the way through, and then started over... about four times. If anyone else is working on a TC, especially by themselves, I would make this comment. Its probably best that you screw up a few times on the whole project just to figure out where you are going with the whole thing and what you want to do. Just don't give up.

I am on my final (hopefully) revision now, starting from scratch again. This time I've got every system, every race, every outfit, and every mission storyline mapped out in a journal. I found that, if you don't have this stuff well planned out, by the time you realize you need this thing to be in that place, its too late and you pretty much have to start over or continue on with something that you're not truly happy with anyway.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

-Thanks
Rocky

SeattleLightning, on Mar 4 2005, 04:21 PM, said:

In the desc file, you can put a conditional statement that will only appear if a certain bit is reads as true. I believe this should look like this:

Does anyone know if you can make the coniditon more complicated? I have tested this idea but can't seem to make it work. For example, I can't make this work:

View Post

Well I guess you could make an invisible mission or a cron or something to test for those two bits and then set a third bit if either of them are true. Then your real mission would just need to test for one bit.

SeattleLightning, on Mar 4 2005, 04:21 PM, said:

Currently, my TC consists of about 7 or so data files. When it is completed it will contain about 50. Its not necessarily big, but I have divided it a certain way for ease of organization. When I am finished, I am loathe to try and post 50 different downloads just so someone can play it, but I am even more loathe to have to cut and paste in order to compile them all. Would anyone object to 50 downloads? Or can anyone think of another work around?
View Post

Uh, you don't need to post individual downloads for every file you have. That's the whole point of an archive. Of course, there is a limit to the size of a download so you may have to post it in multiple chunks, but certainly not 50.

Sorry, but you can only test one bit at at time in a desc. :mad: 😞 😛

I've been working on this TC for the better part of a full year now. I've gotten about... I don't know... 20% of the way through, and then started over... about four times. If anyone else is working on a TC, especially by themselves, I would make this comment. Its probably best that you screw up a few times on the whole project just to figure out where you are going with the whole thing and what you want to do. Just don't give up.

I am on my final (hopefully) revision now, starting from scratch again. This time I've got every system, every race, every outfit, and every mission storyline mapped out in a journal. I found that, if you don't have this stuff well planned out, by the time you realize you need this thing to be in that place, its too late and you pretty much have to start over or continue on with something that you're not truly happy with anyway.

I agree 100%. I've been working on my own TC for about 1.5 mounths and I've already started over once. 😞 When ever I get an idea for it, I take out my mp3 player and record it. It is also best, I've found, if you write out lots of notes so you know where you are going.

Just don't give up! 😉

I worked on Kemet for two years by myself and got far- but don't discount the help that others can give. Just having input on your ideas can make things much more interesting.