Negative acceleration

Earlier today I was a bit bored and decided to try to get a ship to move backwards instead of forwards, without much success.

Just setting the ship's acceleration and speed to negative numbers didn't work, but I expected that to be the case.

I also tried giving ships an outfit with a negative value in the speed/acceleration fields, which would give the ships less than 0 accel/speed. This didn't seem to work, either. (In fact, the game seemed to totally ignore the outfit.)

Anyone else have any other creative ideas I might try?

Give the ship a backwards sprite. (...and give it weapons that fire backward, or turrets.)

Give the ship a weapon with high recoil and fast firing rate, that otherwise does nothing and is invisible. Make it a secondary weapon for ease of use.

Maybe a black beam that has 0 reload and taht doesn't use any energy with a very high recoil.

Weepul 884, on Feb 23 2005, 10:07 PM, said:

Give the ship a backwards sprite. (...and give it weapons that fire backward, or turrets.)
View Post

Heh.

Give the ship a weapon with high recoil and fast firing rate, that otherwise does nothing and is invisible. Make it a secondary weapon for ease of use.

Yeah, but my original intention was to make it move backwards all the time, but apparently Nova won't accept negative acceleration.

Oh well, I guess that'll work. 🙂 Thanks, guys.

Were you trying both negative acceleration and negative speed at the same time? If so, they probably cancel each other out to make it move forwards as normal. I remember making a backwards ship in EVO just by setting one of those fields to negative, but I'm not sure if it works in Nova.