a cloaking device

that doesn't deactivate to jump

I am trying to make a cloaking device which does not deactivate when I jump. I think it is possible, I got the idea from flying a Wraith and the Draconens in Polycon.
I don't know the number I would input for the mod value field. NovaTools give some information about the cloak values, but none seem to apply to this.
Could someone please tell me the mad value for a cloak which does not deactivate when jumping or getting hit. Even better would be how to find this information myself.
Thank you.

The bible

It seems to be that to get it to not drop cloak before jumping, you not set the flag 0x0001 (or 1 in decimal) "Faster fading".

ferazier: In this case, the Bible (be sure to capitalize this holy book) isn't any more than NT - it's the exact same information. I figured it out this way: All the Wraith Cloak has set is "Visible on radar". The only semi-relevant (i.e. not "use X amount of shields/energy per second") ones the Polaris one has are "Faster fading" and "Deactivates when ship takes damage". I know from memory that the latter is not set, so I opened my Rebel Dragon pilot and jumped with cloak - sure enough, it deactivated upon jumping, so it's not that one. By process of elimination, it must be "Faster fading".

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 24 January 2005 - 06:13 PM

It's not the cloaking device.

To make the player able to jump while cloaked, you have to set the "Cloak while hyperspacing" flag (Flags2 0x0400) in the shďp resource. This means that the ability to jump while cloaked is independant of the cloaking device.

Edwards, on Jan 24 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

It's not the cloaking device.

To make the player able to jump while cloaked, you have to set the "Cloak while hyperspacing" flag (Flags2 0x0400) in the shďp resource. This means that the ability to jump while cloaked is independant of the cloaking device.
View Post

Thank you. It worked.
A contemplation though: If a ship were set to cloak while jumping, and it did not have a cloak, what would happen?
Also am I correct in thinking that an outfit could not affect cloaking while jumping due to that being a set condition determined by the data files or plug-ins? Or could that flag be changed by an outfit just like speed or outfits?
i.e. Do I have to change every ship, one by one to do this, or could I just make an outfit that I purchase and allows cloaking while jumping?

Klepsacovic, on Jan 25 2005, 12:08 AM, said:

Thank you. It worked.
A contemplation though: If a ship were set to cloak while jumping, and it did not have a cloak, what would happen?
Also am I correct in thinking that an outfit could not affect cloaking while jumping due to that being a set condition determined by the data files or plug-ins? Or could that flag be changed by an outfit just like speed or outfits?
i.e. Do I have to change every ship, one by one to do this, or could I just make an outfit that I purchase and allows cloaking while jumping?
View Post

The player's ship would not cloak. AI ships probably would, since they ignore the DefaultItems anyway.

Most ship resource flags, including the cloaking flags, are not affected by outfits, with inertialess, ignore gravity, and ignore deadly stellars being the only exceptions.

Inertialess? So you mean instead of setting the inertialess flag on ships you could just give them an inertialess outfit? That way you could add the ability to remove it if you didn't like it.

That's right. ModType 38, ModVal ignored.

PBoat101, on Jan 25 2005, 02:12 AM, said:

AI ships probably would, since they ignore the DefaultItems anyway.

Most ship resource flags, including the cloaking flags, are not affected by outfits, with inertialess, ignore gravity, and ignore deadly stellars being the only exceptions.
View Post

This is wrong. I'll explain...

An A.I. ship set to cloak, but without a cloaking device cannot cloak.

It cannot cloak.

The properties of a cloaking device are relected in any A.I. ship that has this outfit standard.
- If the cloak needs to drop the shields, the A.I. ship will lose its shields when the cloak comes on.
- If the cloak does not drop shields, but drains them at a rate per second, the A.I. ship will lose that amount of shields for every second it has the cloak engaged.
- If the cloak is set so that the ship is visible on the player's radar, an A.I. ship with this will be visible. (Wraith. Observe for yourself.) Else, the ship will not appear on the players radar. A.I. ships do not use radar. They either see you, or they don't. This would have no effect on a player-used cloak.

I have observed all of these myself.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 24 January 2005 - 10:16 PM

Eugene Chin, on Jan 24 2005, 10:04 PM, said:

An A.I. ship set to cloak, but without a cloaking device cannot cloak.

It cannot cloak.
View Post

Confirmed. I'd added cloaking variants of the Rebel Destroyer/Cruiser to my local copy of the EVC plug for Nova to appear after the player does the rebel cloak missions, but forgot to actually add the device to the Cruiser. It did not cloak until I fixed that. 😛

On a sidenote, seeing a cruiser drop its Mantas in-system and then disappear is kinda freaky. insert Jaws music here

This post has been edited by Amnenth : 25 January 2005 - 09:49 AM