Indestructable Asteroids

Is this possible? and what's the point?

I was thinking about putting up indestructable asteroids. Depending on their size they could be very effective in blocking missiles. I could then adjust a system such as the western Vellos ones or any uninhabited ones so misn enemies who fire lots of missiles won't be as effective. Good idea?

You could make very very tough ones.. But probably not indestructible ones.

rmx256, on Jan 18 2005, 12:19 PM, said:

You could make very very tough ones.. But probably not indestructible ones.
View Post

Well. how strong could they be? They will have to contend with the weapons that do 10x damage to them as well.

I think that the max value is something like 32768, or 2 to the 16th power, or in that range.

The EV:C and EV:O conversion for EVN have "indestructable" asteriods, which just have strength values of 31767.

Indestructable asteriods are impossible to make in the Nova engine. You would just have to set their strength to the highest possible number and hope for the best.

Also asteriods don't block all missles, so what would be the point of doing this unless you wanted to gain some sort of aadvantage. Like filling a system with huge numbers of high strength asteroids to stop almost a attacks from hitting you while you blast targets with multi-torps. 🙂

Aye that's what I mean. But then again most of your everyday (ie not mission) enemies won't follow you that far anyway so it doesn't really help too much.

also how come some mission ships (Federation-when you're in the Vellos/Polaris mission) won't let you board them when they're disabled?

... Because they're mission ships. It's been this way since EVC.

Is the objective of the mission to board them?

If there was ever an EV4 engine (I know, I know) I would request an open-endedness: All actions should be doable at any given time regardless! Just not nececerraly with a result. You should be able to board it, juat with no gain from it.

I just came up with an idea. What if you make an asteroid that has any positive value for strength, 0 mass, no commodities, fragments into itself (set fragment count to 1 - from experiece, the engine rounds decimals down no matter what), has no explosion, and has no particles? Would it start spinning in a different direction? If so, I guess if necessary, you could use them being pounded with so much firepower that you knocked it out of orbit (or just that you hit it, knocking it out of orbit)?