Suns

Is this possible/has it been done before

Is it possible to make suns for EVN?

This would make the systems look more realistic, as a system is generaly an area of space around a star. Once you designed a star would it be possible to make Nova accept it without the AI being confused from trying to land on it or something like that?

It's possible, but not terribly useful.

I have one system in which there are two stars (VERY far out near the edge of the system, in opposite directions), and each has high gravity and is deadly.

Basically, if you stray too far from a direct line between the stars (on which the only planet lies), then you can't escape their gravity except by jumping, and even then, only if you have time.

The main problems with including suns would be that the AI doesn't know how to deal with gravity.

Probably best for decorative purposes. I'm using them for that.

rmx256, on Jan 16 2005, 02:30 PM, said:

Probably best for decorative purposes. I'm using them for that.
View Post

Your using them?!?! Dang I wanted the exclusive rights.

This post has been edited by general11 : 16 January 2005 - 02:37 PM

I think that the ancient Greeks, in thier version of Nova, did everything first. πŸ˜‰

rmx256, on Jan 16 2005, 02:41 PM, said:

I think that the ancient Greeks, in thier version of Nova, did everything first. πŸ˜‰
View Post

The ancient Greeks had Nova? πŸ™‚

I ment that I thought that I was the only EVN plug-in developer to use suns. And let me venture a guess: your ysing Solar Cell to design your suns. If you are I hope we don't end up with to many suns that look alike.

BEHOLD!!! I GIVE YE: MY 1000TH POST!!!

I use suns in my TC Dark Swarm. Though I don't make them much larger than ordinary planets, simply because they would otherwise occupy too much space. They have a gravity (though not very high Β– still they make it difficult to hyper out of the system. And they're not deadly, simply because the AI ships don't evade them and explode in dozens.
DS also features a Nova, a Pulsar and a Black Hole.

The first sun I've seen in EV was in Galaxy's Edge (EVO TC). Polycon has something alike as well (a Pulsar, I guess), so you see, the idea is basically not that new.

Hey, why did you have to destroy my fanticy like that? :huh: Your mean. But thanks for the info.

No, I'm using Photoshop.

And.... COLOR-IT!

Rik=low-tech.

There are a few stars in SFA -- mostly red dwarfs and some pulsars. All are stars visited in various Star Trek episodes, all are deadly spΓΆbs.

rmx256, on Jan 16 2005, 03:03 PM, said:

No, I'm using Photoshop.

And.... COLOR-IT!

Rik=low-tech.
View Post

Well, technicly I'm using Photoshop but with the Solar Cell plug. There is an attached example. Sorry it's small, but otherwise it takes up to much space. I hope to use this and other suns like it in a plug. Comments are welcome. πŸ™‚

This post has been edited by general11 : 20 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

I think I used a combination of LunarCell and Photoshop for my stars.

Lindley, on Jan 16 2005, 03:45 PM, said:

I think I used a combination of LunarCell and Photoshop for my stars.
View Post

Lunar Cell is nice, but Solar Cell is made by the same people and is especialy for suns.

But I hve a bigger problem. I went to put the sun in a system and see how it looked. But when I jump into the system Nova crashes. Every time. 😞 Whats the problem!? I have the spob, spin, rleD, and rle8 rescources all set up. The only thing I can think of is that something has gon wrong with the spin rescorce. I'm not sure about what they want when thay ask you for the masks ID. SOMBODY HELP ME!!!

Mask ID is just for when you're not using RLEs. Are you, in the syst resource, referencing the spob id of the star or the spin id? The spob should be set to the id of the spin in the type field, and that spob referenced in the syst.

I'm refrencing the spob in the syst rescorce.

I'm refrencing the spob in the syst rescorce.

Sorry, clicked add reply twice.

general11, on Jan 16 2005, 03:07 PM, said:

Lunar Cell is nice, but Solar Cell is made by the same people and is especialy for suns.
View Post

I thought that SolarCell was too ostentatious... (spelling?)
Lens Flares in Photoshop, with lots of gaussian blur, work good for me.
What we need is a plug-in especially for gas giants...

rmx256, on Jan 16 2005, 04:19 PM, said:

I thought that SolarCell was too ostentatious... (spelling?)
Lens Flares in Photoshop, with lots of gaussian blur, work good for me.
What we need is a plug-in especially for gas giants...
View Post

What the heck do you mean by ostentatious? Do you mean to complex? It's the only good sun making program I've found.

This post has been edited by general11 : 16 January 2005 - 04:31 PM

general11, on Jan 16 2005, 09:07 PM, said:

But I hve a bigger problem. I went to put the sun in a system and see how it looked. But when I jump into the system Nova crashes. Every time. 😞 Whats the problem!? I have the spob, spin, rleD, and rle8 rescources all set up. The only thing I can think of is that something has gon wrong with the spin rescorce. I'm not sure about what they want when thay ask you for the masks ID. SOMBODY HELP ME!!!
View Post

The mask is only used for PICTs. When using RLEs just set the mask to one higher than the sprite.
Try making your spob use one of the existing sprites to see if the problem is with your graphic or not.