Which is better

Is OpenGl, Javascript, Secondlife, C, C+, or C++ better.

They're all good for different jobs. OpenGl is good for graphics but crap if you want to create a command-line tool. Javascript is great for client-side web browsing, but would be crap for grapics. C++ is great for a command-line tool, but crap for client-side web browsing.

I choose Novatools.

I blame the inadiquet schools. And violent cartoons. And sourdough bread. Each language has a different purpose. Neither is better than the other, they're just different.

Fnoigy, on Jan 3 2005, 06:55 PM, said:

I blame the inadiquet schools. And violent cartoons. And sourdough bread.
View Post

Fnoigy++ 🙂

I choose doing other things.

General purpose? C is the best.

However, the others each have specific areas that they're designed for, and they're usually the best in those.

My run down:

Java: Good if speed is not an issue, but crossplatform portability is.

C-family: Good general porpose language. Use C++ if you want it to be object oriented.

java script: Used for Client-side scripting in broswers and for samurize and konfabulator widgets. It is something good to use an introduction to programming and very powerful when used with a server side scripting language like PHP in web applications.

Open GL- as has already been said is a type of graphics thingy.

Your trying to compare apples and oranges; these languages/platforms are all designed for different things, so on which criteria should you judge them?

These is no such thing as C+. Perhaps you were thinking of C#?

In any case, here's my opinion as a programmer familiar with most.

C is the original english-like high level language which took over from assembly and machine code. It's obsolete (the only exception is Cocoa's Objective C). C is only really used by people maintaining legacy systems which would be too costly to rewrite. But C is also a simple common standard and if you can program in C, you can pretty much program in anything. It's a procedural language; do this, then do that etc.

C++ is an Object Oriented update to C which includes such things as classes and polymorphism (don't ask). It's a solid standard and widely used, but implementations vary from platform to platform. It's generally easier to read and use than C. C++ uses objects; tell object A to do this with object B, tell object C to start etc.

Both of the above can be used to make proper application programs with the help of a framework (like Cocoa or PowerPlant).

Javascript is a simple language with which to automate web pages; button rollovers, page redirection etc. It can only be used within web browsers, and cannot be used to make application programs.

Java is a completely different language similar to C. Unlike C, Java can be used to make graphics and programs directly; it's not just a language but a framework also. Java programs are compiled as they run, however, unlike C programs which are pre-compiled. Thus, Java apps can run on most platforms without change, but they are much slower. Java is popular for simple games, but I doubt many serious software companies use it.

I have no idea what Secondlife is.

OpenGL is a high-performance graphics framework of API for use with C or C++ (or Java if you're really savvy). You can use it to draw fast 2D and 3D images, but it's a lot of work.

So I ask again, what do you mean when you ask which one is 'better'?