Starcraft TC?

Need help for development of SC TC

I got a "pre-beta" of a Starcraft TC and was wondering if anyone could hack some graphics out of the Starcraft archive? I really don't feel like command-line rendering them. POV-Ray may be able to pump out some NICE images (photographs?), but C-style isn't really my style (and neither is waiting for my 6500 to render something like this), and I don't have anything else that I could use for the fifteen or so ships in the game. The plug was a good idea, but I just don't have the kind of hacking tools I need to pull sprites from that archive. By the way, a battlecruiser (as it is in the current version of the plugin) can take on a manticore and win ;-).

Hmm... theres already a SC TC in the works. See what modesty_blaise_us (i believe) has to say about this. Hes done all of the graphics himself. Seems like you just want to steal a set though... hmmm.

NebuchadnezzaR, on Dec 9 2004, 09:06 AM, said:

Hmm... theres already a SC TC in the works. See what modesty_blaise_us (i believe) has to say about this. Hes done all of the graphics himself. Seems like you just want to steal a set though... hmmm.
View Post

I have no story, i just have a set of some protoss ships..

The corsair (with weapon)
Inteceptor
carrier
Shuttle
Observer

I wanted to finish all the ships in my christmas vacation..

I´m not woriking on a TC i just wan t a TC done.
Anyone can use my SC graphics.

As long as they seem like they will finish it..

This post has been edited by modesty_blaise_us : 09 December 2004 - 06:12 AM

Well, I have a friend that tried to do that. I believe the method he used for ripping the sprites was just a simple screenshot utility. I use MWSnap 3, which has both hotkeys you can use system-wide as well as a timing effect that will take the pictures automatically. You could try spinning the ship around in the game while taking pictures, but you might have a problem with the way space units in Starcraft tend to drift away from their original stopping position, as well as random rotations that might get frustrating. If you do try this method, than be sure to park the ship over some space or perhaps a snowy plain to make it easier to edit the background.

-Werhner,
a noted rocket scientist

Starcraft sprites don't have enough frames to be directly used in a TC. They only have 4 directions, 8 if you count the mirrored ones. So, whatever you do... you're going to have to have some modelling done.

This post has been edited by Phyvo : 09 December 2004 - 02:48 PM

Hm I have an unfinished Human Destoyer and a Valkyrie that is still shattered into single pieces. Perhaps I should finish them sometime.
I also have a primitive model of the Wraith lying around somewhere which I downloaded from the Lightwave Group.
In case you're interested, fire an email my way or PM me. Then I can send it to you.

This isn't particularly helpful, but there is an old program lying around called 'Makespin.'

It was designed for use in the original EV, and if you make a flat, top-down sprite of each SC ship (shouldn't be too hard), then you can just press a button and it will create a 6x6 sprite grid using your first sprite as 0 degrees.

Of course, this has drawbacks:
1. It will look crappy in EVN.
2. If you make an isometric sprite then it will not work properly.

I use it for weapons sprites though. I'm making a TC of my own for EVO at the moment, based on WW2. It has 119 new systems at the moment. I'm including a weapon which was a roaring success in one of my other plugs which I accidentally deleted. :rolleyes:

I got the pre beta too, and I made some wëaps and outfs for it. You can have them if you like. Just mail me.