A cool outfif. .possible or not.

protective beam..

You could create a weapon that would render an area free of any fire right.
An invisible weapon that fires incredibly fast and explodes and has a certain range, and no damage, and will destroy any incoming object.

This is possible right?

So that you could protect another ship or yourself from harm.

The only way that I think it would work is if you changed the guidance of all the weapons to homing, then make that a PD shot.

(nm, please delete)

This post has been edited by UE_Research & Development: 06 November 2004 - 04:42 PM

Requiem, on Nov 6 2004, 09:23 PM, said:

The only way that I think it would work is if you changed the guidance of all the weapons to homing, then make that a PD shot.
View Post

But then it won´t protect a certain area..

That´s what i want..

Something that makes that area impossible to attack.

So how exactly will it work? Shots can only be destroyed if they have that flag checked. Or will it simply max out the shots-on-screen?

What you would do is have a regular weapon. Upon activating it, it drops a freeflight bomb, which then subs into PD weapon that has no movement. I'm not sure if a PD weap's explosion radius will stop a missile, but it's worth a try. The PD weap will sub into itself once every frame for as long as you want. If you changed the guidance of all the other weapons to homing then allowed them to be shot down, then the PD bomb will stop any incoming shots. Give it no impact, 0 sheild damage, 1 mass damage, and it passes through sheilds. Fighters will still be able to get in, but it will stop other shots.

Can't you just make a black point defense weapon with a short range?

The fact it was black would make it invisible, and if you gave it a high enough damage limit, it should destroy everything in range...

Not possible to create forwar firing weapon that does the trick..?

Like the weapon of the starcraft corsair. Spawns away from my ship and explodes. Won´t that remove all shots as long as they can be detroyed..?

I don´t want it too protect the area forever, though that is a really nice idea.
i Just want the area protected the split second i fire there..

Yeah, just use the idea that I said, except instead of a freeflight bomb, make it a forward firing weapon. Then after the desired range, it subs into a continuously submunitioning PD thing. Set the submunition limit to 50 or something, and voila, it doesn't last forever.

Also, yo might want to set the submunition count to something really high. Also, make the weapon have a radius of the amount of area you want to clear.

Sorry for the off-topic, but theoretically...

could you make a beam that does reverse damage to a target, thereby healing it? And could you implement this in modesty's idea, into a sort of healing projection flak defense gadget??? :mellow:

Negative damage DOES NOT work.