Some questions

map editor & texturing

One: Is there a decent graphical map editor out there? I tried mission control, but it doesn't seem to allow me to move systems around using the mouse, and seems to have some display problems too... I had one for EV (an early beta version of EVEdit as I recall), but can't seem to find it right now. Since this is mostly intended to be for initial map construction, an EV (or EVO) map editor plus the existing plug conversion utility would do.

Two: Is there anyone out there who can make a decent wooden hulled ship graphic? Note - I'm not asking for you to actually make one. I'm just asking if there's anyone who can. The plug this would be for has too high a chance of being vaporware for me to ask anyone else to put any serious effort into it yet. And if anyone has any suggestions on how I could do this myself, I'd be glad to hear them.

Three: As the above mentioned plugin is still in the early design stages, I'd be interested in knowing what people here would want to see in a fantasy TC.

This post has been edited by Wyvern : 16 September 2004 - 04:30 PM

Usually, a little intro (sometimes just the subject if it's well known) helps people to decide whether they are interested in your TC.
I have to say that "a fantasy TC" isn't exactly precise
And it also means that if other people are interested in the idea but don't want to help, they'll probably be waiting to hear of the development and of the story.

I'm not trying to figure out if people are interested - this is something I'm working on because I think it would be nifty, and I'm deliberately keeping details vague. What I want are answers to the first two questions - the third was mostly thrown on just to see if anyone has any interesting ideas they want to share.

And on that note changes topic title to not mention TC

This post has been edited by Wyvern : 16 September 2004 - 05:07 PM

Some wood texture.. hmm... Take a picture of some real wood..
Use the offset function in photoshop to make it able to tile well..

That should do it..

It all depends on how large an area you want it to cover. which kind of wood you are talking about etc..

Some 3D programs even have very well built in wood..

C4D comes to mind.. 😄

In a fantasy TC... hmm.. dragons.. and Wyverns..... Oh and portals lots of magic portals..
Anyone read the riftwar saga by Raymond E Feist.. Actually very good..

Serpentwarriors is a must. Demons..

i can go on and on...

Actually someone should make a discworld plug...That would be the ultimate plug..

This post has been edited by modesty_blaise_us : 16 September 2004 - 04:44 PM

I'm looking for wooden timber type hull, the sort of appearance you'd find on the hull of an old wooden sailing ship. A good example of the sort of ships I want to use (mostly, anyway) is the game "Skies of Arcadia".

This post has been edited by Wyvern : 16 September 2004 - 05:07 PM

If you're on a Mac, I suggest EVONE for system moving. I think it can do that, and you should be able to sit through the delay screen (I registered it).

pokes at EVONE Yeah, this is pretty good; however, it lacks a few geometrical features I'd want (ability to apply translations & rotations to the map as a whole or certain subsets of it), and the license is just plain nuts... I can understand saying the program stops working after a bit if you don't register, but demanding that things made by an unregistered copy not be released... That's not acceptable.

Just do the map... I forgot that license...

Well, it seems that nobody has a usable map editor for EVN right now... I guess I'll have to make one. Should be usable in a few more hours...

Notes: for my convenience, it runs from the OSX command line, and uses the text format of ConText/ResStore for input/output.

(edit)
The program is operational. Still plenty more to do with it, but the basics work.
(edit)
Work on this is being put on indefinite hold unless someone else really wants a map editor; a different project has claimed priority...

This post has been edited by Wyvern : 19 September 2004 - 04:42 PM