Opinions wanted on ship model

(url="http://"http://www.dzeron.com/other/behemoth.png")C.F Behemoth, flagship(/url) for plug-in I'm working on, comments complains rants ideas? Oh, that huge mace looking thing is a cannon πŸ˜›

------------------

Interesting, but perhaps if you're going to post it online, you might consider posting using a web-friendly format like .jpg. After looking at it in Photoshop, it looks like it's 350.012 pixels per inch. Why is that?

Matrix

------------------
"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought -- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

(url="http://"http://htf.mondominishows.com/valentine/main.asp?seed=7375&serial;=214877")The funniest valentine I've ever gotten.(/url)

(This message has been edited by what_is_the_matrix (edited 04-30-2004).)

That ship looks good but this kind of stuff should be posted to the images Gallery

------------------
-If speak to a newbie remember that you were a newbie once too-
-Chaos is hardly everytime an unfound regularity-
(url="http://"http://www.evula.com/survival_guide/")www.evula.com/survival_guide/(/url) Having problems with Storylines ? Ships? Outfits? Go here and have a look at what evula can tell you.
Try to type these letters € ? Ś ž ? ? have fun !

Pretty cool πŸ™‚

However, when adding text to a model, do it with textures, not actual 3D letters. Looks weird, thats all... Perhaps you could render us out a bigger view?

------------------
'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
- Harry Hill

what_is_the_matrix: .png is a web friendly format (though old versions of netscape require a quicktime plugin to view it), and much more versatile and suitable for digital imagery like this than a .jpg is, .jpgs unless barely compressed (and thus large in file size) tend to give blurry and artefact-riddled results, plus .png supports alpha channel blending better than .gif, there's a program for reducing the file size of .pngs without losing the clarity of the image too, though offhand I can't remember its name. All in all, .jpg is best for real world images like portraits, that don't rely on clear edges, while png is best for everything that .gif can do other than animations, because it's got a higher colour range and .gif doesn't support alpha channel blending.

Anyway, with that out of the way, that ship looks bloody great, when I get my new PC I'll be working on some new ship meshes, including one with a similar huge cannon, as I've been fine-tuning a two-thousand millimetre Mass Driver cannon to be mounted straight through the centre of large ships, with a kick so strong that it shoves the firing ship back, and I think it'd be kinda fun having a ship that looked like the Druuge one out of Star Control 3 (the giant flying howitzer).

------------------

(This message has been edited by Deadweight (edited 04-30-2004).)

Deadweight ~ The pro at work, you really know about these things, graphical designer maybe? πŸ˜„

The ship is going to suffer slight change in colors, for I decided that simple grey for all around the ship looks rather booring, and also I'll change the 'C.F' colors and style to different. Red + grey looks too much like U.E colors, so, probably green black (yey, rebels xD)

------------------

Oh, question, when I apply coordinates for firing location, is the Z used for height as if cannon is like xxxxx pixels higher than the zero axis, I'll fix it with Z in guns? is bad in english and don't quite understand what bible meant in that part

(This message has been edited by dzeron (edited 04-30-2004).)

graphic designer? To a degree, I've had my fair share of experience with Photoshop, but I doubt I'd call myself a pro. I'm working on getting better, but I've got pretty good with compositing and digital manipulation, at least in my opinion. πŸ˜„

Are you going to do any nifty renders with that ship? It looks like it would take extremely well to some sort of large battle/fleet scene.

------------------

Originally posted by dzeron:
**C.F Behemoth, flagship for plug-in I'm working on, comments complains rants ideas?

It would be easier to tell the details the ship if you rendered a single larger view. While I can't really contribute to the .png/.jpg debate, I think the 350kb could be better spent...

------------------
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?
I think so, Brain, but if they called them sad meals, kids wouldn't buy them.

I by myself am a graphic designer, having mainly experience in photoshop (from school as well as self learned), 3D just come for fun, don't want to do that nor drawing as 'work', though almost applied, by accident, in 3D designing school, phew, noticed before I posted the application πŸ˜„

Story wise for the plug-in, maybe two, but no combat shots, one where it and two colony ships are around, and the ship is missing its cannon and also the side 'conts' (which are supposingly side firing cannons) are replaced with larger box (Yeah, lego style, when carrier is needed, they just unload the side cannons and load carried box in xD) and then one where it is being refitted at docks ^^

And saddly, it is really VERY low quality, just enought quality to show on EV style, but once you render it in even a lil bit higher resolution, it starts to look very booring, I'd need to remake it if I'd wish to use it for bigger images, dunno πŸ˜›

------------------

I also notice in behaviors of PNG formats. Maybe it's me but everytime I view a PNG image, it automatically resizes to at least fit in the window browser. Unfortunately, if you do sprites in PNG format, I wouldn't be able to see the details of each frame assuming that the image had to shrink down to fit the window browser.

------------------
Nosumus Fortiolis Quad Volimus
I'm the only guy in the universe that can make horses cry.
DryDock Station, will become a silly place...eventually. | Remember folks, an (url="http://"http://www.apple.com")apple(/url) a day, keeps Bill Gates away! | Don't laugh at my Mac, your girlfriend.jpg could be in it!

Seems like the angles aren't quite right, as in the jump between frames is slightly less than 10 degrees. If you follow round to the frame that should be pointing straight down you can see it's slightly off center. Basically, you end up with a much greater angle between the last and first frames than between every other frame.

------------------
"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%." Β— Douglas Adams

Originally posted by Guy:
**Seems like the angles aren't quite right, as in the jump between frames is slightly less than 10 degrees. If you follow round to the frame that should be pointing straight down you can see it's slightly off center. Basically, you end up with a much greater angle between the last and first frames than between every other frame.

Yeah, "old model version," I forgot to set animation from 'accending' to 'direct' or such, fixed it long ago xP

------------------

Originally posted by Coraxus:
**I also notice in behaviors of PNG formats. Maybe it's me but everytime I view a PNG image, it automatically resizes to at least fit in the window browser. Unfortunately, if you do sprites in PNG format, I wouldn't be able to see the details of each frame assuming that the image had to shrink down to fit the window browser.

I assume you are using IE, IE does this. To make the image go back to normal size: hold mouse over it for around 10 seconds until a wierd square appears in the bottom right, then click on it. The square will appear a few seconds after the image toolbar does.

I think some other browsers do this as well, if your not using IE...

------------------
I am also known as Demon1s and Vortex

Originally posted by Reo:
**I assume you are using IE, IE does this. To make the image go back to normal size: hold mouse over it for around 10 seconds until a wierd square appears in the bottom right, then click on it. The square will appear a few seconds after the image toolbar does.

I think some other browsers do this as well, if your not using IE...**

That will only happen if he were on a PC... And while I'm on that subject, why on earth cant it do that nicely. On every PC I've been on it looks really crappy, jagged and all together ****. I mean seriously a nice resampling code is not hard to write or even find...

------------------
'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
- Harry Hill