What about tracer shots?

Seen Godzilla? Apocalypse Now?

You've got the Chain Guns in Nova, which look like little gray pellets (not very good). In my plug I've got a similar weapon - except I'm using an orange graphic - to get a tracer bullet affect. The problem is tracer shots are fired one in thirty, or something like that (also at a different velocity to normal bullets, meaning the tracers fire off target :)), the point is I would like to have a tracer shot fired once in every twenty or so shots, and have the rest invisible. Difficult to do?

I could have two weapons, so when you buy the first, you get the second as well (the second weapon fires slower, and has a graphic).

What do you think?

------------------
"You gotta ask yourself a question, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?"
The galaxy is about to become apocalyptic: (url="http://"http://3114.spyw.com")3114:A Nova TC(/url)

Sounds good. I'll have to try it with my 50mm chainguns. They kick a**, and with tracers, they'd look cool, too.

------------------
Suddenly, the little scoutship disappeared and then reappeared right behind the alien warfleet. The gravitic ship's captain hailed the armada. "You are going to be destroyed, but I will give you a choice as to how you want to spend eternity: big pieces, little pieces, or quarks?"
Dead silence.
"Quarks it is, then."

Originally posted by thedecline:
**I could have two weapons, so when you buy the first, you get the second as well (the second weapon fires slower, and has a graphic).

What do you think?**

Or you could have the "tracer" weap emit particles at low velocities (that way it will leave a lingering trail). That would be neat. You could set it up by putting a grant outfit ncb in the OnBuy field of the main gun, and a delete outfit ncb in the OnSell field.

-Vaumnou

------------------
Did you know that 63.8% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot?
"He's too late. SEE?!? THE CLIFFS OF INSANITY!!! Hurry up!"

Originally posted by thedecline:
**Seen Godzilla? Apocalypse Now?

You've got the Chain Guns in Nova, which look like little gray pellets (not very good). In my plug I've got a similar weapon - except I'm using an orange graphic - to get a tracer bullet affect. The problem is tracer shots are fired one in thirty, or something like that (also at a different velocity to normal bullets, meaning the tracers fire off target :)), the point is I would like to have a tracer shot fired once in every twenty or so shots, and have the rest invisible. Difficult to do?

I could have two weapons, so when you buy the first, you get the second as well (the second weapon fires slower, and has a graphic).

What do you think?

I think that you might have to have a sprite to go with the weapon or bad things might happen. Just make a single pixel if you have to have a sprite. Just make sure that your gatling gun is a primary weapon.

------------------
"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Make a weapon for the tracers, with a very low firing rate. Add all the spiffy stuff, I really don't mess with particles and stuff. Make it so the oufit for the weapon weighs somewhat more than a normal chain gun, and make it so the outfit grants the player one of each, the chain gun and your weapon in the BITS dialogue. And make sure to make it undo what it did when selling. I'd also make a chaingun that didn't weigh anything.

Try this, it should work. You might need to mess with the bits some.
Good Luck 🙂

------------------
I am ME hear me roar!
Meeoowwwww

Originally posted by Meaker VI:
Add all the spiffy stuff, I really don't mess with particles and stuff.

Just have nice yellow sparkly particle explosions when the bullets hit (ie. like hollywood bullet impacts).

Matrix

------------------
"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Just buy a single laser cannon. It's low rate of fire will make sure you can see where your shots are headed.

Cheers,
Guapo

------------------
"Quote it, paraphrase it, soak it in peanut oil and set it on fire. I don't mind in the least." - forge
Founding Member of WORRPBOITAMPSH
(url="http://"http://guapohq.jonpearse.net")GuapoHQ - for all your Guapo needs(/url)
(url="http://"http://insanekp.tripod.com")The Insane Klown Posse Website!!!(/url)

Sounds cool... i'll give it a try.

------------------
The Evil Spoonman
My Brain is Right here (Subject to Change Without Notice)
Albatross!!!
"Life is to important to be taken seriously."

Or you could try making an outfit called a "Tracer Creater," or something like that avalible only when you buy the gatling gun (and it goes when you sell your gun.) The Tracer Creater could have the same firing charicteristics of your gatling gun exept for it shoots tracer shots (duh :)). The outfit description could be something like "This addon to a gatling gun adds tracer bullets to the mix" or something like that. I don't know if you can make things invisible in the "Extras" section of your info, but if you cannot, this could be a possible fix.

-Dash

------------------
This useless post brought to you by:
-Dash

You could do it the way you "build your own gun" in PlugPack14. You first buy a weapon control computer, then some software, an energy cell, and finally an empty weapon housing. You can only get each one when all the previous ones have been bought, and as soon as you buy the last one it activates an ncb that takes away all the pieces and gives you a full-blown gun. Likewise, tracers could be an upgrade that you buy, which makes itself disappear, but also grants you a hidden tracer gun, takes away the normal gatling gun, and grants you a gatling gun duplicate that says "gatling gun + tracers" in the outf list.

-Vaumnou

------------------

Good idea, Vaumnou. I'll have to try it. Oh, well, back to coding.

------------------
Suddenly, the little scoutship disappeared and then reappeared right behind the alien warfleet. The gravitic ship's captain hailed the armada. "You are going to be destroyed, but I will give you a choice as to how you want to spend eternity: big pieces, little pieces, or quarks?"
Dead silence.
"Quarks it is, then."

The only problem i see with granting the player a double outfit, one with the 'inviztable' shots (that fire at five times the rate or some such thing), and a tracer outfit which fires at 1/5 the speed but has a cool orange graphic, is that the A.I ships wont have both... If in the weapons space i give then the 'gatling gun', is that all they will have? or will they get the tracers too?

Also if I put it in the oufit space, will they get both or only one?

Another problem - what if a player buys the ship that already has it as a weapon? do they get the tracers too?

I haven't ever tested it, but does the onPurchase field simply mean: If you have it, or if anyone has it, it is set?

thanks

------------------
"You gotta ask yourself a question, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?"
The galaxy is about to become apocalyptic: (url="http://"http://3114.spyw.com")3114:A Nova TC(/url)

no, you'd have to take care of that yourself (i.e. every ship which has the main gun also has the tracer gun). the onPurchase and onSell are evaluated when you purchase an outfit and when you sell it, respectively, not just periodically or constantly

------------------
WWJD for a Klondike bar?

You may want to make the tracer bullets fire more often then 1/30th of the time, unless it has a firing rate much higher than even the chainguns in Nova. Try something more like 1/15 or 1/10th of the time.

Another thought: you could make a weapon with two bullet types, one being the non-tracer bullets (which you would have to buy), the other the tacer bullet, but with infinite ammo. The only problem with this is that after you run out of ammo, the tracer bullets could continue to fire even if you have run out of ammo. However if you make ammo cheap and if you can carry a lot of it, this shouldnt be a problem.

Good Luck,
Belisarius

Originally posted by IForgot:
You may want to make the tracer bullets fire more often then 1/30th of the time, unless it has a firing rate much higher than even the chainguns in Nova. Try something more like 1/15 or 1/10th of the time.

IForgot, this topic is already two weeks old. Please leave it alone, it should be allowed to R.I.P. If you want to talk more about this, email the author of the topic or start a new one, please.

-Vaumnou

------------------
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. .... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

(This message has been edited by Vaumnou (edited 05-22-2003).)