new plug-in idea

I've fiddled around with EVN TC's for a while, and I finally decided to commit to a single idea. Tell me what you think: A TC set in a H.P. Lovecraft setting. I've got about 8 pages of concept art and a general plotline, but very little else. I don't have a lot of experience with the actual modding (although I am working on conceptual design and story with the Errare Humanum Est TC (look on the upcoming plugin page)). Feedback first, and then any help would be appreciated.

------------------
"I could've been a contenda, instead of a bum, which is what I am" - Marlon Brando
"w00t j00 n00bz" - Xarthax Baneshadow, level 5 human abjurer
"you're such a geek" - everyone else

Originally posted by liquid_doom:
**I've fiddled around with EVN TC's for a while, and I finally decided to commit to a single idea. Tell me what you think: A TC set in a H.P. Lovecraft setting. I've got about 8 pages of concept art and a general plotline, but very little else. I don't have a lot of experience with the actual modding (although I am working on conceptual design and story with the Errare Humanum Est TC (look on the upcoming plugin page)). Feedback first, and then any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by "in a H.P. Lovecraft setting." You mean like "Alone in the Dark-ish?" That might be a bit difficult to pull off. But if you mean sort of ghoulish and Gothic in setting, but a sci-fi scenario, there's some cool potential there..

_bomb

------------------
"I want to tell you about a time I almost died...."

I'm not sure what you mean by "in a H.P. Lovecraft setting." You mean like "Alone in the Dark-ish?" That might be a bit difficult to pull off. But if you mean sort of ghoulish and Gothic in setting, but a sci-fi scenario, there's some cool potential there..

_bomb

Actually, I was planning on mixing the Dream Cycle and most of the Cthulhu mythos, which would mean ghoulish and gothic. Stories like "The Thing on The Doorstep" and such, which are unconnected with a general idea or overacrhing plotline, would probably be left out. I'm trying for the whole "single island of sanity versus a dark and evil universe" approach, which would mean cutting out a lot of Lovecraft's best stories, but such is the price of making it a connected sci-fi scenario.

------------------
"I could've been a contenda, instead of a bum, which is what I am" - Marlon Brando

Sounds interesting.

Good Luck.

------------------

Well, I played a Star Trek - Cathulu setting game once.

I'm wondering how this will turn out. The game now and in Polycon are base on a Sci-Fi trader/fighter type game.

Wasn't Cathulu or at least Call of Cathulu based on the idea that mankind has no idea what the Universe is really like and those who do have some inkling are insane?

I can sort of see it working, but in my mind, there has to be more than two sides here.

Note: I've never read much Lovecraft; maybe one short story. If it was a Lovecrafty game, I'd suggest a sort of Babylon 5 type universe, where there is one or more All Powerfull races that pop in and kick your butt at odd moments.

Actually, when I think more about it, it sounds kind of cool. I can't help, because I can barely create an outfit on my own, much less an entire TC (and Polycon took like 3 years plus to make)

------------------
Ivanova: "I can only conclude that I am paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate."

I've actually started doing stuff, so i'm moving this topic to the upcoming plugin page. Hovever, as to Vast Deathmaster's idea for a B5 -y universe, the First One analogy doesn't quite translate to Lovecraft. Most of the First Ones didn't care whether we lived or died (with the exception of Lorien (sp)), however the Old Ones in Lovecraft wish us active harm (although a few didn't care either way). Essentially, the angle I'm going with is that humanity is ****ed once the Old Ones (like Cthulhu) rise, so in the plot strings where Earth ISN'T destroyed/taken over, the plot will focus on delaying the rise of the Old Ones.

------------------

Wasn't the Call of the Ktulu a song by Metallica?

(Rhetorical question. I know it is. Good song too.)

------------------
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?"-Pink Floyd
"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice." -Baruch Spinoza
Russell for President 2020!

Originally posted by Russell Quintero:
**Wasn't the Call of the Ktulu a song by Metallica?

(Rhetorical question. I know it is. Good song too.)

Wow, that was a stunningly blatant attempt to go off-topic, Russell. 🙂

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.mazca.com/")Mazca(/url) , Moderator, (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=9&SUBMIT;=Go&urgaylol;=yes")EV Developer's Corner(/url)
"I expect you'd like to know about frogmen?"

starts drooling Hmmm, that sounds pretty ... interesting.

I don't know whether you've ever watched "In The Mouth Of Madness"; it has that same Lovecraftian atmosphere and last-sane-guy-against-an-increasingly-insane-universe plot. It also reminds me a little bit of the Eye Of Orion plug-in for EV, though I hope this one will go much, much farther than that 😉

I'm currently toying around with a TC of my own which I may or may not continue (the original team fell apart, I don't feel like going at it with a bunch of new people right now, and it's a lot of work for one person - even though it would be fun to work on...).
If I decide to abandon it, I'd be more than willing to offer assistance with this project of yours. I'm pretty good at graphic design (it's my job), can write a bit (though english isn't my native language), have decided to learn Strata3D, and have some experience with EV and EVO plug-in making with ResEdit (but haven't yet done anything beyond small EVN hacks so far).

You probably already have all the texts you need, but this may come in handy: (url="http://"http://www.gizmology.net/lovecraft/")Lovecraft Library(/url). Apparently his works are no longer copyrighted, so it's all available 😄

edit: And Russell, I do believe "Call Of Ktulu" was instrumental. But "The Thing That Should Not Be" was definitely based on the Cthulhu Mythos, and much better IMO. Though I must admit I haven't listened to Metallica in years.

(This message has been edited by boot (edited 03-17-2003).)

Coolness, boot. I could use all the help I can get. I currently have about 12 ships rendered, 2 dozen spobs and a finalized universe. However, none of this is in the actual game. I could really use some help on design ("conceptual consultant" is my hobby, not my trade), and someone who can flesh out my pages of rambling notes and concept art into actual designs. I have experience with Amorphium Pro and a smidgen of Lightwave, but I would really like help with writing and design. If anyone is interested, email the_parrot_of_doom@yahoo.com and I'll send you some background on the TC, as well as a huge list of what needs to be done (just what you always wanted)!. Progress log/website on the way.

------------------

liquid_doom

Sorry, I don't have much to say about the plug because I didn't read it. I'd just like to let you know that if you want to reply to someone, you don't have to copy/paste their text. Just press on the 'reply' button at the top of the writing box, on the same line as your password/name. You can also check their e-mail, edit your own posts ect...

--gav

------------------
Visit the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/Forum10/HTML/005883.html#")Anglo-American Dictionary(/url), a well of priceless information!

Originally posted by liquid_doom:
If anyone is interested... (...) Progress log/website on the way.

I'm a bit too busy right now, and I'll probably continue doing my own plug too, but I'm still willing to help out. I'll mail you as soon as I have some more free time (possibly next week), but it might be cool if you could already also put up a webpage with some basic conceptual stuff. (I plan on doing the same with my own work - it never hurts to get some third-party opinions)

Originally posted by boot:
I'm a bit too busy right now, and I'll probably continue doing my own plug too, but I'm still willing to help out. I'll mail you as soon as I have some more free time (possibly next week), but it might be cool if you could already also put up a webpage with some basic conceptual stuff. (I plan on doing the same with my own work - it never hurts to get some third-party opinions)

Actually, all I have now is a 4 page or so document that has a general idea as to the plugin, with dscriptions of key systems, factions, and history. I've decided to include a lot of stuff from Lovecraft's Dream Cycle, even naming the plug-in after it. If anyone wants the document (can't upload it, damn Tripod), I'll be more than willing to send. I'm going to set up a registry on EVN.net's plug-in directory when I get around to it (read: never).

------------------

In case you read this before checking your e-mail: OK, I'm a bit late; something more urgent came up. But still well within the deadline I'd set 🙂 Please note that I have a separate mailbox for this kind of stuff - total_conversion@pi.be .

Basically, I'm willing to check out what you've got so far and help out with advice and suggestions as the project advances.

I also won't mind doing some writing and graphics (illustrating some Lovecraft stories was on my Things I Want To Do list for this year anyway) where and when I can, but that will depend on a lot of other factors and I'm not making any promises right now. (I just can't emphasize that enough, it seems - previous big EV/O/N projects have made me a very cautious person indeed 🙂 )

------------------
Do not adjust your mind - there is a fault in reality.