Strange Hyperspace Problem

I have for months been adapting my favorite EV Classic and EV Override plugs to run in Nova (cause I like an inertial ship.

I have run in to a strange problem. EVBasic and EVOBasic, and most of the plugs appear to work fine. However, several plugs differ when transiting hyperspace.

Normal is stop, orient to the new heading, accelerate, and the screen whites out for a couple of seconds. However, with one plug the ship accelerates but the screen barely flickers before I am in the new system. With another plug, the ship doesn't even slow. I hit the 'J', the screen immediately flickers, and I am in the next system.

This is with the exact same ship in all scenarios. Since, obviously, I can't change the engine, there must be something in the resources that is affecting the Hyperspace jump.

Does anyone know anything about this?

------------------

Try asigning more memory to Nova.

^ My limit to troubleshooting tips ^

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/monster/")Monster Studios(/url) - (url="http://"http://www.evula.org/monster/studio/c.html")Caribbean(/url)

(This message has been edited by Mantaray (edited 02-28-2003).)

in nova, inertialess ships (like the vellos stuff. 0x0040 in the flags2 field) don't have to slow down to jump. for the other question, take a look at your flags field:
0x0001 slow jumping (75% normal speed)
0x0002 semi-fast jumping (125% normal speed)
0x0004 fast jumping (150% normal speed)

------------------
it's been one of those days: this morning i looked up and saw epsilon

Originally posted by nighthawk:
in nova, inertialess ships (like the vellos stuff. 0x0040 in the flags2 field) don't have to slow down to jump. for the other question, take a look at your flags field:
0x0001 slow jumping (75% normal speed)
0x0002 semi-fast jumping (125% normal speed)
0x0004 fast jumping (150% normal speed)

The inertialess factor doesn't affect this (I don't think). I believe there's another flag that actually controls whether or not a ship has to slow down to jump or not. It sounds like this is the box that's checked.

------------------
I used to jog but the ice kept falling out of my glass.

Originally posted by Kame:
**The inertialess factor doesn't affect this (I don't think). I believe there's another flag that actually controls whether or not a ship has to slow down to jump or not. It sounds like this is the box that's checked.

There is, of course, an outfit that makes it so you don't have to slow down. I do not recall a ship flag that performs the same purpose. Perhaps you should check and make sure that all of the modvals on your outfits are correct.

------------------
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?"-Pink Floyd
Russell for President 2020!

Check the ID's of the SND resources in the plugs. You can affect the time it takes to hyperspace by modifying the length of the hyperspace sound. I suspect that some ID number juggling is needed to solve the problem.

------------------
Not all who wander are lost.

P-Psycho:

I'll check that out, since I have simply included whatever sounds were in the original plugs.

There shouldn't be anything coming from the ship, because I am using exactly the same ship to test each plug. (Makes it easier to control variables.)

------------------

Originally posted by Russell Quintero:
There is, of course, an outfit that makes it so you don't have to slow down. I do not recall a ship flag that performs the same purpose. Perhaps you should check and make sure that all of the modvals on your outfits are correct.

No, actually I'm quite positive about this. If you're using NovaTools there's another checkbox loacted in the same area as the jump speed check boxes. It simply says can jump without slowing.

------------------
I used to jog but the ice kept falling out of my glass.

There are four checkboxes. Slow Jumping, Semi Fast, Fast Jumping and Can Jump WIthout Slowing. These also affect the number of days each jump takes. Im not sure what the numbers are, you'd have to look in the Bible.

------------------