POV-RAY problem

Yea, so I thought I'd give some other modelers/renders a try and so I got myself POV-Ray 3.5. I'm willing to try and learn the scripting language but I've hit a problem. When I try and render a scene, it just gives me a progress box that says "Start", a little progress bar, and six text info things like how many objects, all of which stay blank. I was just trying to render a simple sphere. Yes, it was colored. Yes, I had a light. Yes, I had a camera. I let it run about 5-10 mins. I dunno if I'm just supposed to wait longer, but a simple sphere should render in about 30 secs, max, in my opinion. I'm running OS8.6 with carbonlib 1.5 on a 333mhz G3.

------------------
I like long walks, especially those taken by people who annoy me.

Hmmm... Sounds like you didn't do anything wrong. Did you do the coloring as "rgb<1,0,0>" or as a "color" expression? If the latter is true, you have to #include the proper file that holds the color expression you're pointing to. But if I think it over, even that should produce some kind of error message.

Maybe an upgrade to OS 9 is necessary? I mean, come on - OS 8 is kind of... dead. Heck, even OS 9 is almost dead.

------------------
Eat, sleep, eat, sleep
Blödpinsel / Blood Würst

Hmmm, I hate to say so, but anything below Mac OS 10.1.3 is dead. Apple is highly discouraging the development of any pre-Jaguar software, it is also no longer supporting or updating Mac OS 9.x.

------------------
The Evil Spoonman
My Brain is Right here (Subject to Change Without Notice)
Albatross!!!
"Life is to important to be taken seriously."

Evil_Spoonman:
Yeah, yeah, I know. But my parents are anti-new stuff, my previous comp is a 20mhz, 80meg HD with 16 megs of RAM. I hate my ancient comp but there's not much I can do; besides saving up to buy my own, which I'm doing.

Clueless:
Yeah, I was almost sure nothing was wrong. Mostly because I copied the program straight out of the documentation. It's just like this:

#include "colors.inc"
background { color Cyan }
camera {
location <0, 2, -3>
look_at <0, 1, 2>
}
sphere {
<0, 1, 2>, 2
texture {
pigment { color Yellow }
}
}
light_source { <2, 4, -3> color White}

The only idea I have is that maybe POV-Ray can't find the colors.inc file. I haven't changed anything since installing it but do I need to do something to tell it where to find the include files?

------------------

Originally posted by Ernimtir:
**Evil_Spoonman:
Yeah, yeah, I know. But my parents are anti-new stuff, my previous comp is a 20mhz, 80meg HD with 16 megs of RAM. I hate my ancient comp but there's not much I can do; besides saving up to buy my own, which I'm doing.

Clueless:
Yeah, I was almost sure nothing was wrong. Mostly because I copied the program straight out of the documentation. It's just like this:

#include "colors.inc"
background { color Cyan }
camera {
location <0, 2, -3>
look_at <0, 1, 2>
}
sphere {
<0, 1, 2>, 2
texture {
pigment { color Yellow }
}
}
light_source { <2, 4, -3> color White}

The only idea I have is that maybe POV-Ray can't find the colors.inc file. I haven't changed anything since installing it but do I need to do something to tell it where to find the include files?

Try replacing Cyan with "rgb <0,1,1>", yellow with "rgb <1,1,0>", and white with "rgb <1,1,1>"

(EDIT)I just re-read the code, and it's pretty "ugly" code. For this scene, it doesn't need the texture brackets, so get rid of "texture {" and one of the "}". You only need "texture {" if you're going to combine pigments, which you're not doing right now. I can't remember what the tutorial goes through, so you might need it later, but for now, just take it out because it's unnecessary and adds one more thing that could go wrong.(/EDIT)

If that doesn't work, I think I have a copy of POV-Ray 3.1 around that you might want to try. It has many of 3.5's features, but was written for OS less than 10. It worked really well on my 266 G3 (and really really well on my G4 ;)).

Matrix

------------------
"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

(This message has been edited by what_is_the_matrix (edited 02-25-2003).)

(This message has been edited by what_is_the_matrix (edited 02-25-2003).)

Yeah, the code is ugly, but it's a direct copy from the example files. I just wanted something to try to help me understand the workings of the program, not the the actual programming of scenes, for now anyway. When I get home I'll try what you said. I could swear that 3.5 said it would work with 8.6 and carbonlib 1.0.4, and I've got carbonlib 1.5; but maybe there are still some capatibility issues. Thanks for the tips.

------------------

Originally posted by Ernimtir:
**Evil_Spoonman:

Good for you, 🙂 just giving you a hard time, Apple went a bit to fast for some people (myself included) when it switched to OS X, and the first few releases sucked, (10.0 - 10.1.2) Now their "NO NEW OS 9 APPLICATIONS" policy is driving people nuts.

Later

------------------
The Evil Spoonman
My Brain is Right here (Subject to Change Without Notice)
Albatross!!!
"Life is to important to be taken seriously."