generic 3d questions

Ok, this doesn't apply to any specific modeler, but what exactly are spline patches and what is the alpha channel. I've heard both terms quite often but don't know what they are. I don't really need to know but I've got an insatiable(sp?) curiosity.

(edit)
And while I'm at it, what are nurbs? And yes, I know I could probably find an explanation somewhere if I looked, but I'm hoping for a short and sweet explanation of how these all relate to making things for nova.
------------------
I like long walks, especially those taken by people who annoy me.

(This message has been edited by Ernimtir (edited 01-31-2003).)

Lol, I'll tell you what an Alpha Channel (not an alpa channel) is, and it's not usually a 3D thing (but it can be). It's a 8bit color image that specifies the amount of transpareny in a specific area. This is probably a bad example, but it works.

Posted Image

All the darker parts of that image will be more transparent. It's a cool idea with many uses, I suggest you look deeper into it.

------------------
The Evil Spoonman
My Brain is Right here (Subject to Change Without Notice)
Albatross!!!
"Life is to important to be taken seriously."

Originally posted by Evil_Spoonman:
< snip>

That's a sweet little. How'd you do that. I've been curious about making graphics like that but haven't been able to figure it out.

------------------
I used to jog but the ice kept falling out of my glass.

Originally posted by Evil_Spoonman:
**Lol, I'll tell you what an Alpha Channel (not an alpa channel) is, and it's not usually a 3D thing (but it can be). It's a 8bit color image that specifies the amount of transpareny in a specific area. This is probably a bad example, but it works.
(picture thingy)
All the darker parts of that image will be more transparent. It's a cool idea with many uses, I suggest you look deeper into it.

Ah, that would have many uses. I'll definately look into it. And I knew it was an alpha channel, guess I didn't proof read my post enough. 🙂
Anyone know what splines and/or nurbs are?

------------------

Originally posted by Ernimtir:
**Ah, that would have many uses. I'll definately look into it. And I knew it was an alpha channel, guess I didn't proof read my post enough. 🙂
Anyone know what splines and/or nurbs are?

A spline is a mathematical formula that defines a curve. A common form of spline is the Bezier from Illustrator and PhotoShop; a curved path between two points, with the curvature controlled by handles extended from the points. Splines are common to many 3D applications and are used to create shapes, to define extrusions and surfaces, and to create motion paths (among other tasks).

A NURB is a "Non-Uniform Rationalized B-Spline"; basically, a spline with different control handles and potentials than your basic Bezier.

------------------
Butterfly
My husband gave his promise
He would return in the joyous season,
When robin red-breasts rebuild their nests.

Actually, a spline is a long strip of metal that engineers pin in a few places to make complicated curves :p. In 3D modelling it's a similar idea, a line that bends through points.

Natural splines follow through every point, like the piece of metal in real life. NURBS/Beta splines are mathematical models in which the path does not pass through the points, but is 'stretched' by them. In a beizer spline you can set the degree of turning at each point. I hope this image clarifies things.

Posted Image

They all have the same points. As you can see, the cubic (natural) spline passes through each point, though you can't see the points. The Beta is influenced by the points, but doesn't actually pass through them, and on the beizer you have even more control.

------------------
--sitharus
(url="http://"http://www.sitharus.com/tuxtime/")MacOS X TuxTime Client(/url) - v1.3 last time I checked
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. Jean-Jacques Rousseau

(This message has been edited by blackhole (edited 02-01-2003).)

Oh, and to answer your other questions, an alpha channel is a grayscale image, normally 8 or 1 bit, that specifies the transparency of an image.

A spline patch is a solid surface made by 'joining' 3 or more splines. Imagine you have 3 pieces of string and you lay them across each other in a pattern, a spline patch would be what you would get if you dipped it in liquid soap or something and got a bubble stretched across it. This is a technique used to make some of the wierder surface shapes.

------------------
--sitharus
(url="http://"http://www.sitharus.com/tuxtime/")MacOS X TuxTime Client(/url) - v1.3 last time I checked
Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Thanks for all the responses everyone. This really helps me understand more of what I can do in 3d and also helps with trying to follow other conversations about modeling. My insatiable appetite for knowledge is satisfified, for now. Thanks again!

------------------