Strata: Textures won't stick

Each time I render the Quicktime movie of my spinning ship the texture slowly fades to nothing. The first frame is fully textured and by the last there's no texture at all. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

------------------
I used to jog but the ice kept falling out of my glass.

I'm no Strata veteran, but I can guess what's wrong. Go to the last frame (in strata) and check if the ship is textured there, if not texture it.

------------------

It looks like it's still textured in the final frame.

------------------

Send it to me ( (url="http://"mailto:ewanc@mac.com")mailto:ewanc@mac.com(/url)ewanc@mac.com

Thanks Ewan, I'm trying one more thing. If it doesn't work I'll send it your way. I'll let you know here first though.

------------------

Ok, I think I got it. I think it was because I wasn't resetting the time back to rezero, I was just rendering at the last frame. Sorry for answering my own post again. I struggle with these things for ages before I decide to ask for help and as soon as I do I seem to figure it out for myself.

------------------

No problem. In future, you can email me questions regarding Strata before posting here, it might save you doing this. I can usually fix problems (/brag) 😛

You can also find me on AIM ecc160, or msn messanger loki584@hotmail.com

ewan

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/ewan/")"In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey - the monkey will spank us!!"(/url)

Alright, thanks Ewan. While I see you're still online I've got another question for you (or anyone else). I've hit another snag. EVERYTHING works, except the ship won't show what direction it's going when you pilot it in Nova. The control works fine, you just don't know which way you're pointing. All the animations seem fine in ResEdit. I've put up some temporary target files and other picts. Either I'm missing something or something is pointing to the wrong file.

------------------

Originally posted by Kame:
**Alright, thanks Ewan. While I see you're still online I've got another question for you (or anyone else). I've hit another snag. EVERYTHING works, except the ship won't show what direction it's going when you pilot it in Nova. The control works fine, you just don't know which way you're pointing. All the animations seem fine in ResEdit. I've put up some temporary target files and other picts. Either I'm missing something or something is pointing to the wrong file.

You can see the ship in NOVA? Or does it not show at all? I only make ships, I really dont know much about how they go into the game. I should really learn cos then I wouldnt have to ask other to make me a test plug when I want to try out a ship 😛

Im waiting till an editor like R&R;'s shipwrite comes out for NOVA. One that imports the ship from picts or movies and does all the RLE conversions for you, etc. Im to lazy to learn how to do it in res-edit 😛

ewan

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/ewan/")"In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey - the monkey will spank us!!"(/url)

1:When you say that it's not showing which way it points, I assume you mean only one sprite is ever displayed?
2:And when you say it looks fine in ResEdit w/ Novatools then you can watch it spin?
Cause if 1 is yes and 2 is no, my suggestion is that you've set it to only 1 frame per set. 🙂

------------------

Originally posted by SNM:
1:When you say that it's not showing which way it points, I assume you mean only one sprite is ever displayed?
2:And when you say it looks fine in ResEdit w/ Novatools then you can watch it spin?
Cause if 1 is yes and 2 is no, my suggestion is that you've set it to only 1 frame per set. 🙂

Yeah, the first one only one sprite is displayed. I can cruise all over the place but I always see the same image.
But I CAN watch it spin in NovaTools. The rlëD, rlë8, and shän all work fine.

------------------

I can't think of anything that would cause that, then. Check the connections between it. If this is a plug, clear out any other plugs you have and try it. Double check that you can watch it spin around in the shän. I dunno.
It's conceivable there's a memory problem, too. Though I doubt it, try giving Nova more mem.

------------------

I'm on OS X with a crap ton of ram so no chance it's a memory problem. (But I did shut everything else down and ran Nova just to make sure.) Another thought: I wanted to make sure that I got all the IDs right so in the plug I replaced all of the Heavy Shuttle files with those of my new ship. One thing I overlooked though was that there are used Heavy Shuttles. Could this be causing problems? Should I try swapping out a different ship or just create an entirely new ID?

edited for clarity
------------------

(This message has been edited by Kame (edited 01-19-2003).)

UPDATE

Ok, so I changed all the resource IDs to their own unique, unused IDs. There's still the same problem though. One thing I noticed in the shan resource is that although the ship animation showed the ship spinning around, when I turned on the beam axis point, the line that extends from it just pointed straight up - it didn't rotate with the ship. So I tried messing with the other weapon points, moving them off the center and these didn't rotate with the ship either. So as if I had no idea what to do before, now I'm completely dumbfounded.

Ewan, I used the sprite tutorial from your website to create the PICTs from Strata but I noticed that my ship displays backwards from yours, - what I made as the front (and what shows as the front in the front view) would be the back of your example ship. So I spun my ship around since I know that the front needs to be up top. But this altered the settings for rotation so that when I had to start rotating the animation I had to convert my numbers; i.e. 0 = 180, -90 = 90, 180 = 0, 90 = -90, 10 = -170. Now after saying all that, is there a chance that the initial rotation off of 0ş caused something to get stuck at that point?

UPDATE 2
Problem solved -- it was the LASIK process page that threw me off. In it it mentions shäns AND spďns so I made both. The animations that were created for rleDs, etc were meant for spins. Course i didn't think of this until after I decided to start all over again with a fresh animation that started with the view window flipped around so that my rotation variables matched. So I created a new ResEdit file without the spin and dropped that into EnRLE and the whole process was much easier this time. So it works, I'm happy. Sorry to answer my own question. But thanks for letting me think things out on here. It helps.

------------------