help with Nova Tools

i asked about editing ships on the EVN webboard, and they told me to to use Nova Tools and post any further problems here. so i got Nova Tools, but i cant figure out how to install it. i read the instructions, but i cant make a head or tail of it. i really need help!!!

------------------
If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, and the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, does that mean lefties are the only people in their right minds?
POWER TO THE SOUTHPAWS

Install (url="http://"http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10239-100-859800.html?dlrs=y&tag;=st.dl.10239-100-859800-859800.dln.10239-110-859800")ResEdit.(/url)
Open the system folder, and then the preferences folder.
Open 'ResEdit Preferences'.
Open the Nova Tools document (not the readme) and copy everything to 'ResEdit Preferences'. Quit ResEdit.

(This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 04-03-2002).)

ooooohhhhh, i get it. thanks.

------------------
If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, and the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, does that mean lefties are the only people in their right minds?
POWER TO THE SOUTHPAWS

DAMMIT!!!

i got it to work, but i cant change anything until i register anyways. thanks for the help, ill be waiting impatiently for a month for my allowance when i can finally register.

------------------
POWER TO THE SOUTHPAWS

btw, you can close this post now.

------------------
POWER TO THE SOUTHPAWS

I still can not get Nova Tools to work, what gives?

NovaTools is a particularly complex set of editors for a particularly complex game. Considering that, it's surprising how easy it actually is to use- you'd expect it to be far trickier. Still, it's not for everyone.

Blackdog's instructions are entirely correct:

Open the Nova Tools document (not the readme) and copy everything to 'ResEdit Preferences'. Quit ResEdit.

From there:

Open Resedit again.
(Create your plugin file. "New" from the File Menu, then "Get Info", and assign Type of Npďf, creator of Növä)
Open your plugin file.
Create the resources you want with the create resources menu, or by copying from the data files.
Open the resources. Novatools will give you customised windows whenever you try to edit a resource.

Should this not work, I would suggest that maybe you give plug-in editing the miss for a while. It's complicated stuff, and you wouldn't want to damage your copy of Nova.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Glad I read this - this fixes my problem. Thanks!

------------------
"You will find that your device is highly non-functional...." - Bad Guy

I don't understand. What do I copy into the preferences?

I get it now. thank you.

Originally posted by Blackdog:
**Install ResEdit.

(This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 04-03-2002).)**

Everyone keeps saying Preferences Folder....WHAT preferences folder.

OK, here is what I do. I download ResEdit 2.1.3.sea. (to my desktop) (this is on a new iBook)

It uncompresses into a ResEdit 2.1.3 folder.
In that folder are three things

1. an About... text file
  2. an Examples folder
  3. ResEdit

I make a copy of this folder.
(note, I have also downloaded the NovaTools 1.0.0)
Using Resedit, I open the copy of Resedit. I see a "file" in there called PREFs. That is the closest thing I have to a preferences file, but I cannot copy the items Resedit finds in Nova Tools into this Prefs file.

What am I missing. I go to the computer's system folder, looking for a Preferences file, but find nothing.

One last thing. I am doing all of this from within OS 10.

Thanks for any help.

------------------
Only when space is rolled up like a piece of leather
will there be an end to suffering,
apart from knowing God.
--Svetasvatara Upanisad, VI 20

Originally posted by Vast Deathmaster:
**Everyone keeps saying Preferences Folder....WHAT preferences folder.

OK, here is what I do. I download ResEdit 2.1.3.sea. (to my desktop) (this is on a new iBook)

It uncompresses into a ResEdit 2.1.3 folder.
In that folder are three things

1. an About... text file
  2. an Examples folder
  3. ResEdit

I make a copy of this folder.
(note, I have also downloaded the NovaTools 1.0.0)
Using Resedit, I open the copy of Resedit. I see a "file" in there called PREFs. That is the closest thing I have to a preferences file, but I cannot copy the items Resedit finds in Nova Tools into this Prefs file.

What am I missing. I go to the computer's system folder, looking for a Preferences file, but find nothing.

One last thing. I am doing all of this from within OS 10.

Thanks for any help.

Ah, well, OS X can't use ResEdit. You have to run classic for it to work.

Okay, here are more precise steps:

a) Install ResEdit in Mac OS 9.
🆒 on your hard drive, there should be a folder named "System Folder". Open it.
c) In that folder, there is a folder named "Prefrences" Open that. There should ba a ResEdit Prefrences somewhere in there. If not, run ResEdit a few times.
d) Now open the ResEdit Prefrences with ResEdit. (Drag ResEdit Prefrences onto ResEdit)
e) Open up the NovaTools thingumee in ResEdit.
f) Select all (Cmd + A) the resources in NovaTools, copy them (Cmd + C) and paste them (Cmd +V) into the ResEdit Prefreces file.
g) Quit ResEdit. Don't forget to save the prefrences file.
h) Now it should work.

------------------
"If you are legally blind, write 1." - Some tax form
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/mantaray5/EV/potstickers.html")VCR Instructions(/url)

Um, take a look at this topic. It's two months dead. If it's not on the first page, there's no need to reply to a topic any farther. It's a waste of time. If there hasn't been a reply for more than about 2 weeks, that usually means the topic starter (me) found a solution. So, somebody please lock this topic.

------------------
Government Policy: If it ain't broken, fix it 'till it is.

Originally posted by -esw-dragoon_77:
Um, take a look at this topic. It's two months dead. If it's not on the first page, there's no need to reply to a topic any farther. It's a waste of time. If there hasn't been a reply for more than about 2 weeks, that usually means the topic starter (me) found a solution. So, somebody please lock this topic.

Look at the date of Vast Deathmaster's post.

------------------

Originally posted by MadFax7:
**Look at the date of Vast Deathmaster's post.

That's what I'm pointing out. His post is June 18th. The post preceding his was April 7th: nearly two-and-a-half months ago. There was no point in digging up this ancient topic.

Please, someone lock.

------------------

**That's what I'm pointing out. His post is June 18th. The post preceding his was April 7th: nearly two-and-a-half months ago. There was no point in digging up this ancient topic.

Please, someone lock.**

Well first, two months is by no means ancient - infact, it's pretty new, really. Second, although he should've made a new topic, it stands to reason that posting under this topic was perfectly acceptable, since his question did have something to do with the topic of this topic. Don't complain and beg for locking when someone digs up a topic you started not-to-long ago to ask a related question.

------------------

Two months old is relatively ancient on these webboards. Hell, just over two weeks is ancient. And even if ancient isn't the right word, the topic still died two months ago.

------------------

Two months old is relatively ancient on these webboards. Hell, just over two weeks is ancient. And even if ancient isn't the right word, the topic still died two months ago.

I should probably clarify that, what I meant was; even though two months is much too old for a reply, and means a topic has been dead for a long time, it is still not ancient, when compared to the age of the boards, and that Vast Deathmaster was not necessarily out of line by "digging up" this topic.

Also, you should be aware that whenever you post a topic on a webboard, you are accepting the risk that someone well come along and resurrect it in a few decades. 😛

------------------

Yeah, I guess you're right. I used to do this as well, but the oldest topic I ever dug up was 3 weeks old. And ArcAngel Counterstrike always got mad at me for digging up these so-called "ancient" topics.

I must also clarify that I frequent the Nova board more than any other board. The Nova board gets a new topic or reply about every 5 minutes. Under these conditions, this topic would be ancient (in relative terms).

------------------