Elixirs - When is too much?

Is there a point when drinking more foul tasteing stuff is useless? Here's what is behind the question: I would like to kill a Sea Monster in one blow (it now takes me three) and I know that to do so I have to have my strength up to about 1975 points. Sea Monsters fall with 2000 damage points.

My current stats are: Level 26, Strength 775, Dexterity, Vitality, & Marksmanship 225, Luck 275. An increase in any of the last four does not seem to have any effect on the game at this point.

The Sea Monsters keep dropping vials. Should I drink them and continue to buy more, or should I sell them and continue to buy Elixirs of Strength?

Any help from the persons of experience would be appreciated.

PS: I'm not playing plug-ins yet, but I will when the Big Guy falls in one shot!!
------------------
I knew I was marrying
Miss Right, I just didn't
know her first name
was Always.

(This message has been edited by Rubber Ducky (edited 03-17-2002).)

My humble opinion at the point of game you are at, if your goal is to whack a sea giant flat in one blow, is to sell off whatever goodies you get and purchase the elixirs of strength. I've done this with a few of my characters as well.

Just my two cents...

fadman

------------------

Originally posted by Rubber Ducky:
**Is there a point when drinking more foul tasteing stuff is useless? Here's what is behind the question: I would like to kill a Sea Monster in one blow (it now takes me three) and I know that to do so I have to have my strength up to about 1975 points. Sea Monsters fall with 2000 damage points.

The point to quit is when increasing your stats becomes not fun. As long as you get a perverse thrill out of making your guy bigger and badder than my advice is to either continue to do so else seek counselling. 🙂

------------------
"Good...Bad...I'm the one with the gun. Kaboom!"
-- Ash, Army of Darkness

This is a good reason for a plug-in that has creatures that are impossible to defeat.

------------------
luck is beating the odds, bad luck is when they are the odds of having something bad happen to you.

i know that you can buy unlimited elixir (with trinity plug) cause you an make unlimited money, i think that the next big plug-in (like trinity) must fix that by fixing a maximum number of str, per, luck..... points. So the game stay chalenging... That's better than having unbeatable monsters (too frustrating ^_^)

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**The point to quit is when increasing your stats becomes not fun. As long as you get a perverse thrill out of making your guy bigger and badder than my advice is to either continue to do so else seek counselling.:)

You make an interesting point. Of course it's still fun, it is only a game. But my real question is whether or not I lose something by not keeping up the other stats at the expense of strength?

And as for counselling, it's possible that games like this keep some of us from needing to go that route. Without waxing long on the subject, I'd just say that an outlet for our less social traits (ie aggression) provides a useful pressure relief valve.

------------------
I knew I was marrying
know her first name
was Always.

The character I am playing is str 60, dex 60, and luck 60.
I think it took me around 80 hours of game play to get there and I
have been playing off and on since mid february. Mr. Ducky, do
you do anything besides play PoG?

Originally posted by Rubber Ducky: **
You make an interesting point. Of course it's still fun, it is only a game. But my real question is whether or not I lose something by not keeping up the other stats at the expense of strength?

And as for counselling, it's possible that games like this keep some of us from needing to go that route. Without waxing long on the subject, I'd just say that an outlet for our less social traits (ie aggression) provides a useful pressure relief valve.

No, you don't lose anything. In all honesty the only thing useful for "mega" stats under the normal game and/or trinity is to whack sea giants and boast on the web boards about it.

And I could kill a sea giant back when I had stats in the 30's-50's in everything, as long as I blocked, was stocked with healing potions, and had some luck on my side. But killing them in a couple whacks without ever needing to block is just a sadistic pleasure that still makes me chuckle in delight.

I'm sure people will make plug-in with ultra-powerful npc's in it that will require you to have mega stats in order to kill them. Personally I find this over-kill and unnecessary. All it does is encourage those who use cheats and/or spend waaaay too much time powering up their characters(like one of my characters, heh), and discourage those who simply play for enjoyment and/or do not want to spend a period of time raising their stats or using cheats.

This is also the downfall for plug-in developers. My plugin for instance will not be combat intensive. Sure there will be battles and things you have to kill. But I refuse to make something out of line with the original POG storyline and world. So people who can whack a sea giant in 1 hit will find the plug-in extremelly easy combat wise, as I feel they should. And those that play with mediocre characters should find it a challenge that can be overcome.

My 2 cents on the subject.

------------------
"Good...Bad...I'm the one with the gun. Kaboom!"
-- Ash, Army of Darkness

Originally posted by Arteest:
The character I am playing is str 60, dex 60, and luck 60.
I think it took me around 80 hours of game play to get there and I
have been playing off and on since mid february. Mr. Ducky, do
you do anything besides play PoG?**

I have a little headstart, I started in mid November. And when you get to the point where you can defeat the Sea Monsters, they drop a lot of good stuff. On one cruise through the area arround the besieged city, I picked up 7 Rings of Gods in about half an hour plus a lot of other goodies. If you sell these in the right locations you get 30,000 gold pieces per ring. 210,000 gold pieces buys a lot of elixirs at Witch Finger.

------------------
I knew I was marrying
know her first name
was Always.

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**No, you don't lose anything. - - - -

My 2 cents on the subject.

I like your 2 cents worth (or is it "sense worth"?) and I am in agreement with almost all you've said. But two interesting things seem to be happening in my game. I'm half way to goal, strength now 1025 (not a boast, just a fact) with no further increase in any other stat. It seems like the stats must be somewhat inter-related. Here's what I've noticed:
A.) The Giants, and other creatures, are dropping lesser quality stuff. I'm more likely to get a Filter of Healing than a Ring of Gods. Not enough luck to balance the strength perhaps?
B.) While it takes only 2 blows to fell the Giant now, I seem more prone to take a bad hit in the process even with blocking. Not enough vitality, perhaps?

I'm not into cheat plug-ins, I like the game as it is. But should the "Pillars of Garendall" decline to help, someone has got to take out the invaiders. Just kidding on that last. I may get bored with this whole project before I find out if they can be killed in one shot.

Interesting side note: When your strength gets up there you can put your sword in its sheath and kill them all with your bare hands as AAC has suggested he has done. I've tried it. It works! And it makes a much less bloody battlefield.

----------------------------

Further research: I may have had a couple of less productive passes, seems all is now "normal"
A.) Is perhaps just what it says it is -- Luck!
B.) I may have gotten careless in attack.
------------------
I knew I was marrying
know her first name
was Always.

(This message has been edited by Rubber Ducky (edited 03-21-2002).)

Originally posted by SuperNova:
**This is a good reason for a plug-in that has creatures that are impossible to defeat.

It exists? Where is it!?!?! I have never heard of such a thing. Closest thing I know about is Uber Gaurdian. I can kill a Sea Giant in 4 hits. I do 21-53(+472) damage. I am equipped with Boots of Lightning, Ring of the Gods, Elven Full Plate, War Axe of Misery, Belt of Stone, Necklace of Stone, 189 max life, lots of gold, level 26, 132 armor, 487 strength, 102 dexterity, 101 vitality, 11 speed, 27 markmanship, 173 luck, 0 undead protection, and 0 mind protection. This character is not using Trinity, so he has the best of the best. BTW, does he have the best stuff?(I use 2 hand weapons, not 1 hand weapons, so don't mention sheilds or 1 hand weapons)

------------------
"If a soldier sweats in
boot camp, he won't
bleed in battle."

(This message has been edited by Tanis Half-Halo (edited 08-24-2002).)

You know, this is why any plug I ever write for PoG will have an event similar to the following:

Is Strength greater than 30? If yes, set Strength to 5
Is Dexterity greater than 30? If yes, set Dexterity to 5
Is Gold greater than 50,000? If yes, set Gold to 0
Is Health greater than 300? If yes, set Health to 15

:evil grin:

(edit - My goodness, this is an old topic... why on earth did you dig it up?)

------------------
AKA Glennfield, Glenndella, Jynnan Tonnyx, Breva, and/or Bölverk.
我不说中文 🙂 (Can anyone read that?)
(url="http://"http://www.itswalky.com/d/20020123.html")"A monkey and a hot girl fighting - I can die happy now."(/url)

(This message has been edited by Glenn (edited 08-25-2002).)

Sorry about digging it up, I just wanted to know if there was really such a plugin, because I hadn't seen it. I won't be digging up anything else, because I have set my prefs to show topics from the last 30 days now. 🙂

------------------
"If a soldier sweats in
boot camp, he won't
bleed in battle."