Hidden areas of Garendall

There are at least four squares in which inhabited areas exist which seem to be inaccessable. These areas show up using the ranger's eagle eye and if you eliminate all the bad guys shown with the awareness skill, you still cannot use the General's tent in any of these squares. The squares are as follows:

• The area near Gewin, the herbalist, on the other side of the trees.

• One square west of Gewin where the ogres have a campfire.

• One square north of Gewin where the river portals allow crossing.

• Two squares north of Gewin in the square of the Pink Termite Resort.

All of these places are on the east bank of the river.

Has anyone found a way to get into this land? Am I missing an unmarked secret path? Or is this real estate just off limits?

------------------
Why is it we park on driveways and drive on Parkways?

You missed one. Theres a large area 1 south of Septeremis on the east side of the map.

------------------
pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502841971693993

Originally posted by Rubber Ducky:
Has anyone found a way to get into this land? Am I missing an unmarked secret path? Or is this real estate just off limits?

Mr. Ducky,

If you haven't played around with Coldstone then you probably wouldn't be familiar with how map creation is done. An easy way to quickly create a map is to "paint" the entire background using 1 tile, and then run through and "fill in" the map with scenery and things to break up the monotonous 1 tile landscape.

It would be my assumption that many of POG's maps were created this way. Thus you have playable areas that have defined borders(trees, rocks, etc), and beyond them you have empty space. Since the space is empty, there is no need to place trees or rocks back there, as they would simply take up memory. Previous to the eagle eye spell there was no way to see beyond the fog of war, so no one noticed these things.

So it would be my guess that the majority, if not all, of those unreachable spots are simply leftover portions of maps that were not needed. But since maps have to be rectangular they couldn't just cut them out.

Btw, this is all hypothesis. But it sounds reasonable, heh.

Make sense?

(edit) Fixed a few typos. Bad typos! (/edit)
------------------
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford, 1992

(This message has been edited by Stark Bledfast (edited 06-20-2002).)

The places reffered to, however, do have scenery in them – some of it, as is the case with the one south of Septeremis, is quite complex. It seems like a waste to just leave it out. I did, using Pandora's Box, reach some of these places and found that I couldn't get out, with the exception of the one I mentioned where you walk north and end up in Septeremis' front yard.

------------------

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**Previous to the eagle eye spell there was no way to see beyond the fog of war, so no one noticed these things.

So it would be my guess that the majority, if not all, of those unreachable spots are simply leftover portions of maps that were not needed. But since maps have to be rectangular they couldn't just cut them out.

Btw, this is all hypothesis. But it sounds reasonable, heh.

Make sense?

Even without eagle eye I could tell there was an area that was inhabited because using the Gen. Decimus tent was not allowed ("You don't feel safe while there are dangerous creatures present.") In all other squares the number and type of creature is the same on every return to that square (the exception being quest creatures) but in these squares the number of bad guys changes. That means they are somewhere else where you cannot see them!

Furthermore, as Dwipper has pointed out, these areas have scenery in them unlike other squares where the area beyond the trees is wasteland.

Unfortunately, one cannot use eagle eye and awareness skill at the same time as this would undoubtedly show where the missing bad guys are hiding.

Originally posted by dwipper:
The places reffered to, however, do have scenery in them – some of it, as is the case with the one south of Septeremis, is quite complex. It seems like a waste to just leave it out. I did, using Pandora's Box, reach some of these places and found that I couldn't get out, with the exception of the one I mentioned where you walk north and end up in Septeremis' front yard.

I'm very interested in how you got into the area south of the guard camp. When you were there, were any creatures present? Were there goodies to be found? If you were able to get out by going north to Septembris, can the reverse be done? I was able to squeeze past the west end of the fence which encloses his training ground (which I'd never tried before) but I could not penetrate the thick forest growth.

In this square, when you are on the west side, the tent is usable and the number of thieves and thivuks found there remains constant with each re-entry unlike the areas near Gewin's herb shop. Incidently, this inconsistancy of creatures is also evident in the standard version of PoG (sans Trinity).

Edited after attempts to enter new ground, and to correct a typo error.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Rubber Ducky (edited 06-21-2002).)

**I'm very interested in how you got into the area south of the guard camp. When you were there, were any creatures present? Were there goodies to be found? If you were able to get out by going north to Septembris, can the reverse be done? I was able to squeeze past the west end of the fence which encloses his training ground (which I'd never tried before) but I could not penetrate the thick forest growth.

As I mentioned before, I used the Pandora's Box app and increased my speed to around 300 and then, in the screen south of the general, I walked over the river and trees and found a road leading up to the top of the screen. It seems that maybe, before they put the general at the end of the road, it went through and connected with the screen to the south.

Here's a map of the unreachable area.

(url="http://"http://home.forbin.com/wipper/pogmap.jpg")Map(/url)

------------------

(This message has been edited by dwipper (edited 06-21-2002).)

**There are at least four squares in which inhabited areas exist -----

• The area near Gewin, the herbalist, on the other side of the trees.

• One square west of Gewin where the ogres have a campfire.

• One square north of Gewin where the river portals allow crossing.

• Two squares north of Gewin in the square of the Pink Termite Resort.

All of these places are on the east bank of the river.

-----

For the record, using dwipper's method I've entered these places several times.

*** The area near Gewin, the herbalist, on the other side of the trees.** One pot of gold found and several ookwasps and kobolds. Can pass freely into forbidden areas both north and west.

*** One square west of Gewin where the ogres have a campfire.** One pot of gold and at least one ogre and ookwasp. In addition to being able to pass into the area just described above, there is a path leading to the east which puts you back into the main playing area to the east.

*** One square north of Gewin where the river portals allow crossing.** Actually two areas both north and south of the river portal. Each one has a pot of gold and one or two trolls. Passage can be made from either to the next square (N or S), but to get from one to the other, you have to pass through the trees into the regular game area and out again.

*** Two squares north of Gewin in the square of the Pink Termite Resort.** No gold found but 3 red spiders were there each time I entered. This area is south of the mages' campfire. There's another area north of the mages but I could not find a way into it.

*** Area 1 south of Septemris on the east side of the map.** Area is extensive, runs the full height of the square, contains, I think, two pots of gold, but as I suspected, no creatures were found. (Edited to double-check the spelling of Septemris, I've seen it several ways on the web-board.)

I'm still faced with the question of why these areas exist if there is no normal access to them.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Rubber Ducky (edited 07-11-2002).)

Y'know, it might be a nice project for someone to make a plugin which simply "opens up" these hidden areas - all you would need to do is change a bunch of access values and (if you're feeling fancy) add in the pathfinding "S" animation. Who's it gonna be? 🙂

------------------
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Only member of the webboard to gain 2 karma points by writing a flame, and openly atychiphobic since 2000.

Hmmm, I can't get Pandora's Box Opened. Stuffit simply won't open it. Any suggestions? Furthermore, how do you USE abilities? I have awareness, but I have no idea how to use it.

------------------

Originally posted by phantompenguin:
Furthermore, how do you USE abilities? I have awareness, but I have no idea how to use it.

Mr. Phantompenguin,

Abilities are not used, they are resident. With pathfinding ability you will see an "S" surrounded by a circle in front of areas that have a secret path. And with awareness you will see red dots on your overhead map(when you press tab) which represent hostile NPCs, and blue dots which represent neutral/friendly NPCs. The awareness skill will not penetrate the fog of war, so you will only be able to see NPCs in places you have discovered on the overhead map.

------------------
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford, 1992