[ANN] SpeedyKeys plugin

Well, it's the first PoG plugin in 3 months, so I thought it worth pointing out in case people have given up on even checking. πŸ™‚

(url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/pog/addons.html")SpeedyKeys(/url) is a very quick plugin I whipped up to make PoG gameplay slightly more "Diablo-like" and more convenient. It doesn't let you do anything you can't do normally, but it makes things easier. SpeedyKeys just adds a couple of shortcut keys so that you don't need to bring up the inventory screen in order to use a healing item, use the tent or the map, or equip certain specialized equipment. It took all of 15 minutes to make, but I've found it insanely useful, and I thought some of the rest of you might as well. Enjoy!

Also:
Just because that .rtf Read Me was a pain and a half to open in anything I had... at least in 9.2:

SpeedyKeys
by Glenn Matthews

SpeedyKeys is an extremely simple plug-in which aims to reduce some of the more tedious aspects of playing Pillars of Garendall by providing quick shortcut keys to rapidly activate some of the more common functions. The keys are:

Key Function
a Use a Healing Potion
d Use a Healing Concoction
f Use a Healing Infusion
g Wield the Divine Lamp
h Wear the Heldan Hat
r Use the Kingdom Map
t Use the Tent
<space> Use a Filter (sic) of Healing

SpeedyKeys was created in the process of about half an hour in an attempt to increase my own enjoyment of PoG. I hope that it does the same for you. Feel free to send comments, feedback, and/or bug reports to me at cut for comfort πŸ˜›. Enjoy!

------------------
Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/arcangel_c/PhotoAlbum2.html")Rogue Thoughts(/url)

(This message has been edited by ArcAngel Counterstrike (edited 06-19-2002).)

Perhaps Glenn should replace the .rtf ReadMe with a text file.

------------------
The greatest of harm can result from the best of intentions Β— Wizard's Second Rule, Stone of Tears.
Β— Cafall

Ouch, sorry about that, folks - I forget that not everyone has moved (or even can move) to OS X. It kinda stinks that there isn't a good "cross-version" format for this sort of thing - 9 doesn't do .rtf easily, and X isn't real happy with SimpleText format.

I've found one small bug - I deleted the autocreated "Plugin Debug info" event and its associated hotkey, but forgot to delete the menu item as well. I'll try and find the time to upload a 1.01 version soon that fixes this bug and uses a boring (but compatible) .txt for the readme.

PS: AAC, please edit my e-mail address out of your post. I don't mind receiving e-mail from people who use my plugs and such, but there are such things as spamcrawlers out there on the web at large. Thanks. πŸ™‚

Originally posted by Glenn:
PS: AAC, please edit my e-mail address**

Done and done

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/arcangel_c/PhotoAlbum2.html")Rogue Thoughts(/url)

Thanks. πŸ˜›

v.1.0.1 has been uploaded with a .txt readme and a quick fix for that minor bug. Should be available... soon. πŸ™‚

------------------
The more time I mess around programming in Cocoa with InterfaceBuilder, the more I learn to hate the bastardized false-Aqua that RealBasic creates.
Give us a truly OS X-native Coldstone!

Get'yer 1.0.1 people

------------------

**Well, it's the first PoG plugin in 3 months, so I thought it worth pointing out in case people have given up on even checking.:)

SpeedyKeys is a very quick plugin I whipped up to make PoG gameplay slightly more "Diablo-like" and more convenient. It doesn't let you do anything you can't do normally, but it makes things easier. SpeedyKeys just adds a couple of shortcut keys so that you don't need to bring up the inventory screen in order to use a healing item, use the tent or the map, or equip certain specialized equipment. It took all of 15 minutes to make, but I've found it insanely useful, and I thought some of the rest of you might as well. Enjoy!**

I am running pog on windows.
the add on is great but when i hit the d key i still get debug message. Is the update ready or should i just keep watching the boards? thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by bluegayle:
I am running pog on windows.
the add on is great but when i hit the d key i still get debug message. Is the update ready or should i just keep watching the boards? thanks in advance for any help.

The version currently available for download is the 1.01 (latest) version of SpeedyKeys, and on my system (a Mac) the D key definitely does not call up the debug message. The D key didn't even do so in v1.0 - all that v1.0 had was the debug menu item, no hotkey. Are you using any other plugs in addition to SpeedyKeys? One of them might be to blame. If not, please post back and I'll see what I can figure out.

------------------
I have only made but one prayer in my life: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And it was granted. - Voltaire
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Openly atychiphobic since 2000.

Great plug overall Glenn, but might I suggest moving the Filter of Healing from the space bar to some other easy to reach key? Perhaps return or something... it frequently occurs that I want to see the map ("m" key) and I accidentally hit the space bar. Oops.

It also sometimes happens when I try to get the spell list or cast the last spell in Trinity.

------------------
David R. Wright
"And six Davemans make one Daveman Deluxe!"

(This message has been edited by Daveman Deluxe (edited 07-04-2002).)

**The version currently available for download is the 1.01 (latest) version of SpeedyKeys, and on my system (a Mac) the D key definitely does not call up the debug message. The D key didn't even do so in v1.0 - all that v1.0 had was the debug menu item, no hotkey. Are you using any other plugs in addition to SpeedyKeys? One of them might be to blame. If not, please post back and I'll see what I can figure out.

i have trinity sapphire and the game continuer
all the other hot keys work fine
thx

i have trinity sapphire and the game continuer
all the other hot keys work fine
thx

Mr. BlueGayle,

There is a quick an easy way to test to find the culprit. Since you have 4 plug-ins total(Trinity, Sapphire, GC, and QuickKeys), just remove all the plug-ins except for 1. Start up PoG, load a game, and hit d. If there is no bug message then quit PoG, remove that plug-in and put a different one in. Running through that list should take you about 5 minutes total and will pinpoint exactly which plug-in has the debug info still active. Let us know which one it is and notify the author as well that they forgot to disable the debug info with their release.

------------------
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford, 1992

Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe:
**Great plug overall Glenn, but might I suggest moving the Filter of Healing from the space bar to some other easy to reach key? Perhaps return or something... it frequently occurs that I want to see the map ("m" key) and I accidentally hit the space bar. Oops.

It also sometimes happens when I try to get the spell list or cast the last spell in Trinity.

Hmm, I suppose I could change that to a different key, but I personally don't like changing it to Return. My idea was to have all of the "healing" keys be immediately accessible from the left hand, in case the player is using a bow or prefers mouse control. The other problem with Return is that the game might catch it if you hit Return to dismiss a dialog and hold it just a little too long, which would be a Bad ThingΒ™.

I generally don't play as a Conjurer, and I always use Tab to pull up the map, so the other issues hadn't occurred to me. If you have a different key to suggest, I might consider it, though.

------------------
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Only member of the webboard to gain 2 karma points by writing a flame, and openly atychiphobic since 2000.

I generally don't play as a Conjurer, and I always use Tab to pull up the map, so the other issues hadn't occurred to me. If you have a different key to suggest, I might consider it, though.

(/B)

I suggest the "E" key. It also makes it so that all of the keys are in the home row or the next row up.

------------------
David R. Wright
"And six Davemans make one Daveman Deluxe!"

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**Mr. BlueGayle,

There is a quick an easy way to test to find the culprit. Since you have 4 plug-ins total(Trinity, Sapphire, GC, and QuickKeys), just remove all the plug-ins except for 1. Start up PoG, load a game, and hit d. If there is no bug message then quit PoG, remove that plug-in and put a different one in. Running through that list should take you about 5 minutes total and will pinpoint exactly which plug-in has the debug info still active. Let us know which one it is and notify the author as well that they forgot to disable the debug info with their release.

And the winner is Game Continuer. Thanks for all the help
Ms Bluegayle

And the winner is Game Continuer. Thanks for all the help
Ms Bluegayle

Ms. Bluegayle,

Thank you for taking the time to locate the plug-in. Would you mind sending Starkiller an e-mail and letting him know his plug-in has the debug information in it? If he still has the source code for the plug-in, it will take him all of about 30 seconds to remove the debug info and then re-upload the plug-in if he wants to.

You can find his e-mail address by going (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getbio&UserName;=Starkiller")here(/url).

Thanks.

------------------
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford, 1992