The end-all be-all stats list

This is derived not only from PoG experience (I've got more than 50,000 of it!) but also from the depths of the Coldstone manual (because of that, it goes quite in-depth). This solves a few contreversial (sp?) issues, such as how Vitality works, and how Luck works (you were completely wrong, AAC!). Here it is:

Strength
The physical strength of the character. This statistic value is used in battle to determine damage bonus. Any points over 15 will be added to the final damage done by the character to its opponent, though only when the character is using a weapon with a range less than or equal to 1.

Dexterity
The agility of the character in manipulating his weapon. This statistic value is used both offensively and defensively in battle to determine if an attack will hit its target. Each time a character attacks, the game rolls a number between 0 and the characterŐs dexterity and does the same thing for the opponent. If the character rolls a higher number than his target, the attack is successful.

Vitality
This represents how good the characterŐs constitution is. This statistic value is used to calculate the number of bonus stamina points that are added to the playerŐs maximum stamina when he gains a level. Any points over 15 will be added to the stamina points bonus roll.

Wisdom
This statistic is not shown in PoG, but it is there. This represents how good the character is at casting spells and handling magic. This statistic value is used to calculate the number of bonus magic points that are added to the player maximum magic when he gains a level. Any points over 15 will be added to the magic points bonus roll.

Luck
When a character strikes his opponent, the engine picks a random number between 0 and 100. If this number is less than or equal to the attacker's luck, it will make a critical hit (the target characterŐs armor is useless).

Speed
The movement speed of the character. It represents the number of pixels the character will move each frame.

Marksmanship
This represents how good the characterŐs vision is. This statistic value is used in battle to determine if the character will hit its target when striking an opponent at a range greater than 1. Each time the character attacks someone, using a range weapon, the game rolls a number between 0 and the sum of the characterŐs dexterity and perception and does the same thing for the opponent. If the character rolls a better number than its target, the attack is successful.

There. I hope you liked it. Please post comments if there's anything to comment on.

------------------
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason ŃWizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
ŃCafall

Originally posted by Cafall:
luck (you were completely wrong, AAC!)

Eh, oh well. My version of luck would have been better for the game :p.

------------------
NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/arcangel_c/PhotoAlbum2.html")Rogue Thoughts(/url)

Yeah, it would.

------------------
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason ŃWizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
ŃCafall

Originally posted by Cafall:
Luck
When a character strikes his opponent, the engine picks a random number between 0 and 100. If this number is less than or equal to the attacker's luck, it will make a critical hit (the target characterŐs armor is useless).

This is what I understood from reading the Coldstone documentation as well, but it doesn't explain the effect that's been attributed to luck in the past.

When my luck was on 30, I would get about two and a half times as much value of weapons, etc. as I did gold. Now that my luck is over 100, I get at least 8 times as much from the same enemies. Also, when my luck was below 50, I almost never got the Ring of the Gods from Giants. Now I get it quite regularly.

I realise that a lot of other stats have been changed as well since I progressed through the game... but if it's not luck that controls the loot growth, what is it?

Spiffo.

------------------

Indeed, how can you explain the fact that when I had luck that hadnt been increased by elixers, I got some gold only from sea giants and with nearly 100 luck, i get about 200 gold and a random ring? I got a ring of the gods the first time. So if luck isnt what gets you items, what does?

It is my understanding that the event which spawns random items on the death of a monster does, in fact, use luck as a modifier to the random generation.

What Cafall has listed is the basic minimum effects each stat has on any Coldstone game - ain't nothing that says those're the only things those stats can do... 😄

------------------
"A scientist can discover a new star, but he cannot make one. He would have to ask an engineer to do it for him."

Before luck: Hey I found a leather belt...Wow another 15 gold.
After luck: Hey I found a ring of the gods or something...gave it to the neighbor kid I got too many.

------------------
And then there were the toe-socks...

After a bit of thought, I decided that in PoG, the Luck stat controls critical hits and the items you get. This probably happens because:

1. Beenox scripted the game to hell

2. Beenox didn't document the other use of Luck

3. You tell me!

The stat list above was created mainly to clear up a few issues with other stats, and since many PoG players don't have a copy of the Coldstone User Manual lying around, I just ripped it off the Manual. And since I'm extremely busy, it will probably stay that way.

------------------
The only sovereign we can allow to rule us is reason — Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
— Cafall

(This message has been edited by Cafall (edited 04-28-2002).)

It surprises me that no one has ever thought about gold just being based on your plain old level! Obviously it isn't one of the stats, so , though its sort of un-RPGish, it could just be pure lvl.

------------------
"it cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills, and empty holes it fills
It comes first and follows after, ends life, kills laughter"-Golum's riddle, the hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

Plenty of people with low levels and 300+ Luck have gotten tons and tons of gold and items from monsters they kill.

------------------
The only sovereign we can allow to rule us is reason — Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
— Cafall

Why does it really matter?

------------------

Echthroi : Us developers like to be able to control every aspect of our game to the slightest amount. In my game, for instance, there will not be asingle stat raise that I will not know about ahead of time and have planned for, just so that I can prevent 'low-level characters with 300 luck' and keep the game challenging. Good for you for posting this Cafall. Granted, I memorized this stuff months ago, but it's good for new people. 🙂

------------------
"... For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause..." - Willaim Shakespeare, Hamlet

Well, Celchu, you actually own Coldstone. There are lots of others who don't. 😛

------------------
— Cafall

Originally posted by Celchu:
**Echthroi : Us developers like to be able to control every aspect of our game to the slightest amount. In my game, for instance, there will not be asingle stat raise that I will not know about ahead of time and have planned for, just so that I can prevent 'low-level characters with 300 luck' and keep the game challenging. Good for you for posting this Cafall. Granted, I memorized this stuff months ago, but it's good for new people.:)

cool! Thanks.

------------------