Pixels 3d Studio 2.1.4

Like (I hope) some of the rest of you, I got Pixels 2.1.4 from Macaddict as a freebie a while back, but I have only just started using it. Anyway, it seems very impressive in terms of modeling and so on, but it seems to crash with unfortunate frequency (about every second or third time I run it.) Can anyone offer suggestions (things tending to cause crashes, ways to avoid them, and so forth)? Thanks in advance.

Glenn

------------------
“If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?” - T.H. Huxley

First off, which magazine issue was it?!

Having said that, what computer are you using? A 68K machine, powerpc, windows, apple, etc...?

Virtual memory is usually a problem. Make sure that it is turned off. Then again, if you absolutely need the ram, go ahead and leave it on.

Does Pixels 3D use any extensions that might be causing an extensions conflict, that you know of? If so, turn off all of the extensions except for the extensions that are necessary for the program to run.

Try restarting your computer after you're done using it. Thise will reset the program or anything else on the computer into normal working order.

That's about all the info I could tell you. Let me know which issue you found it in, though, please. 🙂

Sincerely,
Zeta

------------------
Axis Software-

I'm using Pixels on a shiny new G4 - too bad the computer doesn't belong to me personally... :frown:

I might try with virtual memory off; it might help.

As far as I know, the program is pretty much self-contained, so no extensions to worry about...

I'm guessing maybe it's something to do with the program's memory management. If you can believe it, the manual suggests that I quit and reopen the program every time I switch files so as to "avoid memory fragmentation." Sounds like poor programming practice, but I'll see if it helps.

Oh, and the program came on the June 99 CD. Another very useful MacAddict CD is the Nov. 98 one, which includes StrataVision 4.0 and Strata VideoShop. Not bad for freebies!

Glenn

------------------
“If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?” - T.H. Huxley

Hm. Install macsbug for them, give it about 10-50% more ram (or whatever you see fit) and tell us what error message it crashes with.

~S~

------------------
Life is but a dream. Pass the coffee, please.
Could I have an order of Discboard with that?

Originally posted by Glenn:
**I'm using Pixels on a shiny new G4 - too bad the computer doesn't belong to me personally...:(

I might try with virtual memory off; it might help.

As far as I know, the program is pretty much self-contained, so no extensions to worry about...

I'm guessing maybe it's something to do with the program's memory management. If you can believe it, the manual suggests that I quit and reopen the program every time I switch files so as to "avoid memory fragmentation." Sounds like poor programming practice, but I'll see if it helps.

Oh, and the program came on the June 99 CD. Another very useful MacAddict CD is the Nov. 98 one, which includes StrataVision 4.0 and Strata VideoShop. Not bad for freebies!

Glenn

I've been using Pixels 2.1.4 for months, and I've never really had a problem with it, and I'm using an ancient motorola.

If you continue to have problems, why not just head over to (url="http://"http://www.pixels3d.com")www.pixels3d.com(/url) and get version 3.2.3 for free? It's more advanced, with a better camera view and more complicated shading/rendering. Of course, due to memory problems, my computer can't run it, until I get my G4 this summer.

~Bomb