EVO Questions

@ue_research---development, on Dec 21 2006, 03:27 AM, said in EVO Questions:

Are you completely sure about that? 😛 I could have sworn that the hire description had something to that effect. Of course, it is a Voinian jingoist captain you're talking to, though...

Ah, that would be:

'The captain of this Voinian Supply Ship gladly offers his services, regretting only his ship's lack of armament. "In the great days of the Empire," he informs you, "thousands of neutron cannons would be fired at a supply ship captain's mere whim!"'

Yes, you can trust his words as the literal truth. :rolleyes:

Edit: Actually, IIRC, this quote was a reworking of something said by Londo in B5 (when he was reminiscing about the great days of the Centauri Empire/Republic).

This post has been edited by pac : 20 December 2006 - 10:43 PM

The only thing I ever liked about the Voinians was their powerful weapons (and this is exactly why I make a point to make sure that the defector mission is completed (and the missions that follow)).

Beyond that, I see no reason to like them, nor join their cause.

Hahaha :D.

I always wondered...why were the MTA so psycho about the player building a ski resort? It seemed rather uncharacteristic of the peaceful Miranu.

And did they have contact/trade with the Emalgia?

And one more question...would the UE or the Miranu have settled any of the worlds in the nebulae, if the story had continued? Or was it deliberately left as an open end?

This post has been edited by UE_Research & Development: 20 December 2006 - 10:40 PM

The only thing I ever liked about the Voinians was their powerful weapons (and this is exactly why I make a point to make sure that the defector mission is completed (and the missions that follow))

I always thought the Pareen Station missions were extremely cool...you could get the most important Voinian technology without being stuck with Voinian ships...the armor was great when doing the Crescent missions.

I also found it funny that they sold turreted rockets, but no launchers :D.

@pac, on Dec 20 2006, 10:32 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Well, remember, before the Voinians encountered humans they didn't have rocket turrets or fighters

Have to reread/Play EVO but wasn't the scout ship that first made contact with the Voinians destroyed by a fighter?

@ue_research---development, on Dec 21 2006, 03:39 AM, said in EVO Questions:

I always wondered...why were the MTA so psycho about the player building a ski resort? It seemed rather uncharacteristic of the peaceful Miranu.

Well they weren't exactly very good at it, were they? They don't like the competition so near their home worlds - but they probably hired aliens to do the actual dirty work in that string.

And did they have contact/trade with the Emalgia?

Of course! Routine MTC missions can be the first thing that take you to the Emalgha!

And one more question...would the UE or the Miranu have settled any of the worlds in the nebulae, if the story had continued? Or was it deliberately left as an open end?

This will come up in due course

I also found it funny that they sold turreted rockets, but no launchers

Just an issue of how the Special Tech bits work out. When you only get to use 3 per spob, and need to use so many (as so much tech is not 'higher' but just alien/foreign) you end up with things like that. Paaren Station has the 'minor Voinian tech' tech level (which includes the ammo), but not the 'major Voinian tech' level (the turret). But - if you do end up with a load of turreted rockets somehow - Paaren Station is the place to get rid of them!

"Hypochondriac" said:

Have to reread/Play EVO but wasn't the scout ship that first made contact with the Voinians destroyed by a fighter?

Not as far as I know The Voinians had no fighters when they encountered humans. (And the EV:O Scoutship didn't exist then either!)

If you can find something that says this anywhere: it's a mistake!

@ue_research---development, on Dec 20 2006, 07:42 PM, said in EVO Questions:

I also found it funny that they sold turreted rockets, but no launchers :D.

Same. 😛

Oh, if only someone would do a Nova Reign of the UE plug, I'd be pleased as punch. 😞

Though I guess to do that, we'd have to contact UE Patriot, huh? 😉

I'd be willing to write a short mission-based plug with the same premise, if anyone would be interested...:p

Somehow I always knew that the last mission the player working for the Voinian string would involve the dreadnought and I had plans one time for making an expansion for the Voinians and one mission would be that the dreadnought project failed. Now I have a question, the mission in which you take out the UE Shuttle ferrying a UE admiral, was this just some admiral or was it supposed to be Amdiral McPherson?

@coraxus, on Dec 21 2006, 04:00 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Somehow I always knew that the last mission the player working for the Voinian string would involve the dreadnought and I had plans one time for making an expansion for the Voinians and one mission would be that the dreadnought project failed. Now I have a question, the mission in which you take out the UE Shuttle ferrying a UE admiral, was this just some admiral or was it supposed to be Amdiral McPherson?

No, that was another admiral.

The United Earth navy is actually quite sparing in handing out admiralties. There are only four full admirals: McPherson (who is in fact a Grand Admiral); Tzu (as Chief of Operations against the renegades, based on Huron and then New Taranto); the Chief of Operations for the Voinian frontier (unnamed, who is the one who is assassinated); and the Chief of Staff on Knox. Although there are probably plenty of retired ones too.

There are also a number of Vice-admirals (which is the rank d'Erlon eventually gets promoted to).

Is cosmetic dentistry a big industry with the Azdgari, or more of a do-it-yourself thing like shaving, or are the teeth filed on young children, Å• la circumcision?

Wow. I'm really glad I stumbled upon this legendary topic. Very neat to hear about the Council directly from the source. I'm only mildly disappointed that my crazy theories weren't correct 😉 (although some very obscure similarities exist, I think). Anyway, I don't really have any questions off the top of my head that weren't already asked here, so I'll just sit back and keep reading. All wonderful stuff. My complements and admiration to you, pac. Thank you for stopping by and posting, as well as for making the game to begin with :).

Okay, picking up the timeline where we left it with the Council, who have decided that human (and other alien, but mostly human) interference has become a threat to the balance of the Strand War, and therefore - as the Council see it - to the very species itself.

Many players will have asked - probably some time during the sixth hour of the domination battle - just why Council Station has quite so many Warships defending it. They would have been even more shocked to know that concealed within hollowed-out parts of Gadzair was another fleet of entirely new vessels which the Council had been building up for decades (or perhaps even longer) against this kind of contingency, and which dwarfed the station's defence fleet.

Here is some rare footage of a Council Battlecruiser (armed with Phase Turrets, Dispersal Rockets, SAD modules, and carrying three Council Fighters). (This is just a draft design, but it's one of the nicer ones, imo.)

Posted Image Posted Image

The Battlecruiser might not quite be a match for the Igazra, but it formed part of a much more balanced fleet than any of the Strands had to offer: in a similar vein, the Council Fighter would not be quite as fast (etc) as the Azdara, but it was still an excellent vessel; and a similar comparison would apply for the Council Patrol Frigate against the Zidara. The Council fleet also featured dedicated Carriers (with 6 Council Fighters, and a rapid deployment system like that of the Azdgari Warship) and, naturally, their own customised Arada (equipped with launchers firing missiles much like Pursuit Missiles, but in salvos, intended chiefly for anti-Azdara actions).

At the same time as they revealed this previously unsuspected fleet, the Council announced that the Strands were to be dissolved. The entire Crescent was instructed to submit to Council authority, so that all threats to the species could be dealt with. Only then would a new order be established (and it was not at all clear what form it would take. Were the old Strands to be later re-established?).

Naturally, all this was easier stated than put into practice. Some members of the Strands (including some in very senior positions) were long-time agents of the Council, who knew something of, and supported, its objectives. Others were willing to accept the traditional authority of the Council, despite misgivings, and despite the length of time the Council had been inactive. But very many would not abandon the identity of their own Strand so lightly, or give up its goals! Each of the Strands fractured into internal struggles in the wake of the Council's declaration.

The brand new Council fleet - built and crewed by hand-picked Strandless, who had been conveyed to Gadzair in small numbers over many years - was perfectly placed to exploit all this. They were dealt a few defeats - chiefly when the inexperience of the crews was exposed - but numbers, circumstances, and the balanced nature of their fleets gave them a huge advantage. The resisting part of each of the Strands was fighting its own separate losing battle.

This anarchy in the Strands only contributed to the chaos in the North and South Tips. The Council now offered an open invitation to Strandless to return to the heartworlds of the Crescent (in exchange for their loyalty to the Council, of course). Many set out to take up that offer in whatever ship they could come by, though many remained. In the opposite direction came many refugee members of the Strands, unconcerned, at this point, as to allegiance to Strand or Council, but just hoping to find a safer refuge from the wars. They were disappointed, as Renegades (and Azdgari raiders too) profited amidst the confusion. In the North Tip - where the destruction of Outpost Zachit had already worsened the situation greatly - the Miranu began an evacuation of all their citizens who wanted to leave the region.

Some stability began to return when, overnight, the remaining loyalist Igadzra gave their acceptance of Council authority. Freed on that front, the Council fleets were able to push the other two Strand loyalists back. The Zidagar loyalists retreated to what had been their most remote frontier, also seizing North Tip worlds as the Miranu abandoned them. The Azdgari die-hards were reduced to a desperate existence, hounded up and down the Crescent, with only small asteroids and remote moons as temporary refuges. But most of the population of all the (former) Strands, and all of the (former) Strand homeworlds had now been brought under Council rule.

As the surrendered Igadzra fleets were being broken down, however, considerable discrepancies were noticed. An entire fleet of Igazras (more than a dozen vessels) were unaccounted for. The Council leadership knew that, however quiescent the (former) Igadzra might be now, some group of them, somewhere, was, as always, up to something …

But there were too many other pressing events for there to be time to worry about that now!

--

The above would all have been (a part of) the prologue to any sequel to Override. That is, these would have been just events that had already happened before the next scenario started. The huge events above are peanuts to what would happen next! This should give some idea as to why just adding more missions to the existing game would not have been a practical way to continue this timeline. It would have required a universe updated across the board - which I never quite got around to doing …

More to follow (at some point)!

This post has been edited by pac : 21 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

Who destroyed outpost Zachit? In the game it was only destroyed when the player joined the renegades.

@hypochondriac, on Dec 22 2006, 01:14 AM, said in EVO Questions:

Who destroyed outpost Zachit? In the game it was only destroyed when the player joined the renegades.

You've answered your own question.

Every event from every string in Override is assumed to have happened. None of them, as far as I can remember, directly contradict one another. So, in the case of the North Tip, Outpost Zachit is destroyed, and so is The Rock - the two are mutually exclusive (IIRC) in the game, but not in the timeline.

This is another reason why a new scenario would be required to continue the story.

So doesn't the mean that all the strands are at equal footing and the balance is maintained since humans helped each of them? So the council is planning on preventing any future interference?

This post has been edited by Hypochondriac : 21 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

I see a TC coming up here. A lot of the work is done already (the old override graphics, ships, weapons, etc could be reused, iwth some modifications. For example, maybe a few new high-end warships and weapons). A lot of the Ovverride descs could also be copied over.

Sorry if this is pretentious...but...

do you have any other concept art? 😄

@hypochondriac, on Dec 22 2006, 02:07 AM, said in EVO Questions:

So doesn't the mean that all the strands are at equal footing and the balance is maintained since humans helped each of them? So the council is planning on preventing any future interference?

I think you're missing the point. It doesn't matter which Strand might or might not have an advantage - the alien influence is what triggers the Council's actions. If it was simply that one Strand had an advantage, well, that's happened before, and been dealt with without resorting to such measures. But the problem is that the Strands are operating ever more through alien agents - not least because plans entrusted to them seem to be much more secure (as they aren't being reported to the Council!). All of the events of all of the Strand mission strings happen - all of them events which the Council knew almost nothing about in advance. This is taking the whole war further and further out of the Council's control - from their point of view, destabilising it. It's much less a question of there being a danger that someone might 'win' it, more that the Council simply don't know what's going to happen next any more. And the Council's response renders any question of who was 'winning' irrelevant.

ah ok thanks for clearing that up