EVO Ship Guide

Can't use it....

I can't remember what system i'm on at home (mac os or something)
but basically I need classic to open the ship guide off the add ons page...

so I was wondering if there was a different version of it somewhere that some one had made
that my system would be able to open and read?

I just DLd it and will see what I can come up with for you.

Okiedokie...
I made a PDF file that should open for you. I'm not sure how to get the file to you, though. Got email?

This post has been edited by Callide : 24 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

@callide, on Jan 24 2008, 06:59 PM, said in EVO Ship Guide:

I just DLd it and will see what I can come up with for you.

Okiedokie...
I made a PDF file that should open for you. I'm not sure how to get the file to you, though. Got email?

Ok done I've PMed you 🙂

Huzzah! I got it to work.

I opened the Ship Guide file, then printed it to a postscript file (using a color printer, not B&W) and custom paper size (to account for the longer pages).

Then opened the .ps file in Adobe Acrobat and saved as a PDF.

This post has been edited by Callide : 29 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

Brilliant, I must remember that. Though I believe Adobe offers (or at least used to) a free virtual PDF printer for classic, which would simplify it a bit.

@guy, on Jan 29 2008, 02:31 PM, said in EVO Ship Guide:

Brilliant, I must remember that.

Wow. Thank you! 🙂

Though I believe Adobe offers (or at least used to) a free virtual PDF printer for classic, which would simplify it a bit.

I've never heard of a "virtual PDF printer", either for Classic or X. Do you mean like Acrobat Distiller?

This post has been edited by Callide : 29 January 2008 - 09:07 PM

Not exactly, it's a printer that appears in your print dialog but rather than printing to a real printer it just creates a PDF file. I did a small search and found PrintToPDF, a shareware product (now that I think about it I don't think Adobe would be offering such a thing for free). Don't know what the shareware limitations are but try it out and see how it goes.

My one and only attempt at converting one of those stupid things involved opening it in ResEdit to extract the images and raw text then manually recreating it. Not fun.

This post has been edited by Guy : 30 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Extraction? Cut and paste? Blargh. That's so time consuming.

Okay, Guy, thanks for the link. I checked it out and bookmarked it, but will have to DL it later. Maybe there is a free trial period or something. If not, no biggy. I'm interested in seeing how it works, but I really don't need it.

It only takes a minute (or longer depending on how many pages) to print to a .ps file, and if you open the postscript file by clicking on it, Adobe Reader launches and automatically converts the file to PDF, so all you have to do is save it.

Yeah, no kidding. Well thanks to you I won't be doing that again :). I would probably have to use the virtual printer though since it would be too much hassle (assuming it would be possible at all) to get my OS 9 machine working with my current printer.

(btw, if you're lacking an avatar because the system wasn't working, I believe it's been fixed now)

This post has been edited by Guy : 30 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

You know, I also made a PDF printing to my modem, not a printer, and I got the same .ps file, same PDF. You might consider using a default device.

About PrintToFile:
I was able to install and use it without first registering.
My original print to file PDF was 850kb. PrintToPDF created a file that was only 200kb, but basically the same quality.
You still have to change page set up for each file you want to convert, and you still have to open your chooser to change printers, but otherwise... I'm impressed!

(and yes, I couldn't upload my avie and was waiting for the fix, then kinda forgot. thanksies. :))