On Using the Brains God Gave You

Poll: j00 = n00b or j00 = 133t H4x0r? (9 member(s) have cast votes)
j00 = n00b or j00 = 133t H4x0r?
n00b133t_H4x0rNeither! I AM NOT AN ANIMAL! I AM A HUMAN BEING!
(9 votes [100.00%])
Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Does anybody ever actually take the time to find out what speed what ship moves at or how powerful which ship is?

Most of the people that post here that are actually contributing to the discussion are extremely good with EV(C, O, N, whichever) without the use of cheats. When cheats or plugins are used, they are usually used tastefully by the members of this group. I ask you all this:

Why do people still insist on asking the questions instead of opening the files up with ResEdit themselves and doing the math? A good look into the EV Bible(s) will give you all the spying information you need. It will also (hopefully) give you the necessary skills to change the information you do not like about the game. Think the shiny green beam is cooler than the dull yellow one? Change it! Wish SAD modules didn't weigh anything? Make it so! Tired of Matt Burch creeping up on you in EV with his mighty Kestrel? -1 -1 -1 -1!

So, in conclusion of this rant, how many of you actually do this stuff, rather than complain about it? Let me know.

do
{

cin >> j00;

if( j00 == 133t_H4x0r || j00 == n00b )
j00 == n00b;

}
while( j00 == n00b );

Depends. Once you hack too much, it ceases to become EV.

Spam? Spam! SPAM!!!!

The Apple Cřre, on May 3 2005, 04:31 PM, said:

Depends. Once you hack too much, it ceases to become EV.
View Post

Yes, well, I quite enjoyed The Frozen Heart and Femme Fatale. Complete rewrites of the EV/O resources.

grunadulater, on May 3 2005, 04:31 PM, said:

Spam? Spam! SPAM!!!!
View Post

Lovely Spam, wonderful Spam!
SpaAaAaAaAAm SpaAaAaAaAAm SPAM, SPAM, SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAAAAAAM!

(with apologies to Monty Python)

btmaisel, on May 4 2005, 12:02 AM, said:

Why do people still insist on asking the questions instead of opening the files up with ResEdit themselves and doing the math? A good look into the EV Bible(s) will give you all the spying information you need. T Tired of Matt Burch creeping up on you in EV with his mighty Kestrel? -1 -1 -1 -1!

View Post

Because new people want just a answer to their quick question. ResEdit doesnt exactly present things in the most userfriendly way, its just too hard to new users. Even Bomb, a famous plug developer (writer of F-25 and Reign of the Voinians) says in Plug-in developers guide that with ResEdit you have to constantly look in the EV Bible. Because even veterans sometimes want to just get their question answered instead of having to look them up. Because if everybody just looked up everything in ResEdit instead of asking, there would be no posts and the EVO board community would die. So that attitude is harsh.

If -1 refers to shields, Matt only has -1 shields in Nova. In EVO, he has a insane shield regen (damage done from SAD regenerates instantly), but because 5 UE Fighters damaged him by 40% he is killable.

As for Frozen Heart and Femme Fatale, you enjoyed it because Martin Turner is a master plug- in writer. He makes the ships and weapons balanced, and a good story. But if you just make small changes, it isnt as enjoyable. A 0 ton guided Rocket ceases to be interesting after a while. Also, people dont change it because its not official, and that means you cant be sure its balanced. The Azdara bays truly unreasonable weight irks me. But what would be a fair weight to it? 90 tons? Fixer plugs (such EVOEnhancementsFixes1.1) are a different thing. In many cases, the author has thought how it can be fair.

Sorry if it was too angry. I just didnt like the poll having a bogus question, bogus answer and only one selection and some coding at the end- I thought it didnt be humorous. I also think people have the right to ask.

General Cade Smart, on May 4 2005, 10:57 AM, said:

Because new people want just a answer to their quick question. ResEdit doesnt exactly present things in the most userfriendly way, its just too hard to new users. Even Bomb, a famous plug developer (writer of F-25 and Reign of the Voinians) says in Plug-in developers guide that with ResEdit you have to constantly look in the EV Bible. Because even veterans sometimes want to just get their question answered instead of having to look them up. Because if everybody just looked up everything in ResEdit instead of asking, there would be no posts and the EVO board community would die. So that attitude is harsh.

If -1 refers to shields, Matt only has -1 shields in Nova. In EVO, he has a insane shield regen (damage done from SAD regenerates instantly), but because 5 UE Fighters damaged him by 40% he is killable.

As for Frozen Heart and Femme Fatale, you enjoyed it because Martin Turner is a master plug- in writer. He makes the ships and weapons balanced, and a good story. But if you just make small changes, it isnt as enjoyable. A 0 ton guided Rocket ceases to be interesting after a while. Also, people dont change it because its not official, and that means you cant be sure its balanced. The Azdara bays truly unreasonable weight irks me. But what would be a fair weight to it? 90 tons? Fixer plugs (such EVOEnhancementsFixes1.1) are a different thing. In many cases, the author has thought how it can be fair.

Sorry if it was too angry. I just didnt like the poll having a bogus question, bogus answer and only one selection and some coding at the end- I thought it didnt be humorous. I also think people have the right to ask.
View Post

You do have a good point. Sometimes even I get lazy. And you have to ask questions.

I didn't mean to make it a poll I just clicked the wrong one and figured I'd follow through with it.

-1 was referring to weapons in a pers resource, actually. I was referring to original EV when I wrote a plug that changed bounty hunters into annoying gnats, once you removed their weapons. That way I dominated half the galaxy.

btmaisel, on May 4 2005, 09:49 AM, said:

Lovely Spam, wonderful Spam!
SpaAaAaAaAAm SpaAaAaAaAAm SPAM, SPAM, SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAAAAAAM!

(with apologies to Monty Python)
View Post

Spam, the EVO plug. 🙂

(And evidence, as far as I'm concerned, that sometimes a small plug is worth downloading even if it does get old after a while.)

General Cade Smart, on May 4 2005, 08:57 AM, said:

Because new people want just a answer to their quick question. ResEdit doesnt exactly present things in the most userfriendly way, its just too hard to new users.
View Post

Too right! When I first started playing EVO, I was quite intimidated by ResEdit. But, thanks to alot of patient people here on the boards, I can use it now (with a few minor exceptions like Visbits).

I also like to (initially) play through a game as the author created it, without cheating.

As far as knowing which ship is faster and more powerful... to me, finding out as the game progresses is part of the fun of playing!