Shield Enhancers- What's the point?

4 Shield Enhancers weigh 20 tons, cost 2 million credits, and add 20 points of shielding.
1 Dospect Armor weighs 20 tons, costs 200000 credits, and adds 50 points of armor. Armor tends to be more resistant to almost all weapons than shields as well. So what is the point of shield enhancers?

------------------

50 armor? I thought it was 20.

However, I don't get the idea of Shield Enhancers either..

They're pretty useless, I'd say, unless on a fighter, where even 5 shields can matter.

------------------
It's funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's hilarious.

Armor is only available to voinian players. Combined with an shield generator they kick butt. I personally like them a lot.

------------------
"Chaos is our ally, discipline our mortal foe" --Azdgari Commander
Long live the Azdgari!
Thanks Bush, great job at protecting oil fields. Oh but next time, protecting the first known artifacts of writing, and the first calendar might be preferable.

But when you don't have 20 tons, sometimes a shield enhancer is the next best thing, unless you can get Azdgari shield generators.

------------------
-Everyone has a photographic memory, just not everyone has film.
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-Great minds think alike but fools never differ.

Armor is only available to voinian players. Combined with an shield generator they kick butt. I personally like them a lot.

Actually, if you do the Paaren Station thread with the UE, you can buy Voinian armor there, compliments of the Voinian defector.

------------------
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
—J. R. R. Tolkien
(url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/search.cgi?action=intro&default;=26")The Search Feature(/url)

Thats news to me. Thanks for clearing that up. After having the game for so many years you would think I would figure that out. I only played the UE string once, maybe I should replay it.
The shield enhancers are good in cresent warships I have found and provide a good use for unused space. It all comes down to your gameplay. If you like to load up on secondaries then getting the shield enhancers is not really that great. But, if you are like me and load up on guns/turrets it is essential to have strong shields as well as armor. Also there are a number of "pointless" upgrades in EVO just put there in my opinion to make the story more believable. For instance the tractor beam has very limited uses,in my opinion, as does the Miranu defense pods.

------------------
"Chaos is our ally, discipline our mortal foe" --Azdgari Commander
Long live the Azdgari!
Thanks Bush, great job at protecting oil fields. Oh but next time, protecting the first known artifacts of writing, and the first calendar might be preferable.

Shield enhancers would be useless if there was a better alternative.

------------------
I was disorientedly changing my body orientation in a clockwise direction while simulateously expressing my appreciation of mikee's humor and watching my posterior disconnect -- ElG7

Shield enhancers are useful in EVO also because they indirectly affect how fast your shields recharge. In EVO, your shields regenerate at the same percentage per second no matter what additions you add. So, if your ship has 40 shields, and you add 20 to it, you regen 50% faster, as well as getting a 50% bonus to your shields.

Shield Enhancers are designed to work with Shield Generators. Simple as that. I get 50 Shield Enh.s and 50 Shield Generators and I've never got below armor.

------------------
What do you call a BnB with justice? Something that doesn't exist.
And what would you do if your iMac was on fire?-me

Thats funny, cause the max is 4 shield enhancers, 1 shield generator, and 1 experimental shield generator. We don't care to hear about how you cheat.

------------------

Originally posted by Blackdog:
Shield enhancers would be useless if there was a better alternative.

Philosophically speaking, many things would be useless if there was a better alternative. 🙂

/goes back to day dreaming

------------------
Mes plus sincčres Salutations ŕ la Vie,
Reine de ce Monde.
Know CPR

2 questions - first, where do you find shield generators? second, on some missions - eg attacking Pariah - you get mobbed by a dozen or so small ships (kraits or crescent fighters - haven't had the problem with voinians because they don't seem to have such numbers) at some point; I currently have a crescent warship with upgraded engines, dospect armour, 4 shield enhancers, neutron turrets, ecm and pursuit missiles but keep getting slaughtered even if I manage to get all but a couple of the small ships. I have tried launching fighters (ue or crescent) but no success. Any suggestions gratefully received.

thanks

Originally posted by Lizard Blade:
**Thats funny, cause the max is 4 shield enhancers, 1 shield generator, and 1 experimental shield generator. We don't care to hear about how you cheat.

As Master Yoda will say. "Speed you must rely on." And use the Monty Python Manuever.

------------------

Originally posted by Ne Demord Jamais:
**Philosophically speaking, many things would be useless if there was a better alternative.

Aye, that's the idea. 🙂

------------------
I was disorientedly changing my body orientation in a clockwise direction while simulateously expressing my appreciation of mikee's humor and watching my posterior disconnect -- ElG7

Or, Bikbokbek, try to use Miranu defense pods, they just kill the Kraits and are lauched in salvoes allowing you to break the charge. Note that nothing (absolutely nothing) can stand the onslaught of 20 kraits, not even an Igazra nor a Voinian cruiser.

As for Shield enhancers, sure, they are unuseful to most ships, so just don't buy them (you won't cry for your poor 500,000 credits, will you?) In fact the little fighters are those who most benefit them, as both they don't have room for Dospect and make a proportionnally big increase (it doubles the shields of a krait!)

------------------
M'enfin!
Y'a personne qui parle français ici?