New Life

There are several systems that've been used for development/research, with the normal posts one being the most popular... there is, however, one that you might want to consider that as far as I know has never been in a webstory that actually started.

Imagine this situation. The UE will need 23 posts to research and design a plasma beam cannon. Then, the Miranu provide their research capabilities to aid with the development of the plasma beam cannon. How many posts will it take? Do the two governments share the project? Can the Miranu still research something else?

And what about when you're researching two things? Is it slower than researching one thing?

Now imagine that the UE have 50 "Research" points, and the Miranu have 75 "Research" points. This is like a research income. The plasma beam cannon needs 2000 points to complete.

So it starts at 0 of 2000 points, and every UE post it gains 50 Research points (as long as those points aren't shared out with other projects.) If you're involved in other projects, you have to share out your points, and if other governments are helping, it's easy to work out how much faster a project is. Also, you can easily upgrade your research capabilities this way.

Well, consider it. It's a bit more involved, but perhaps easier to handle in the long run.

I like that idea. I will go with that.

Red, you've got yourself a job.

As i am not one to have any common sense i will require help as to shipcounts and research pace.

------------------
Insanity has its advantages

Originally posted by mamajama:
**I've been persuaded to dig up Wave of Destruction and write a finale to it. I was going to wait until Carno, Red, et al had finished each other up in a hellish battle, but I think I'll just post it as if it had happened. Then if you all want to pick up where that leaves off, go for it. It'll be a post-apocalyptic scenario, where the battle of Adzgari just about finished all the known races off, but in which the Acarra were finally defeated.

mj

another note: the gossip and speculation about Shade - who is male - is entirely inappropriate. Of course, guys don't gossip, :rolleyes: do they?

Really? Why is it inapropriate... geez!

You sure he's a guy? Could have sworn he (i'll trust you on this one) said that he was a she... or something. It was when I said that you were the only chick... uh, my apologies, woman writing for the hypergate. Either way, it doesn't matter.

~A~

------------------
"How can I make it go faster?" -Me-

Originally posted by Solel:
Esponer, I don't mean to sound harsh, but one reason SD stopped was because two of the main players were delayed by a single person. The UE and the Miranu (me) could not successfully post until RMA set up the Emalgha treaty convention.
Oh well. 😄

Yes, and as far as I can tell, RMA wasn't posting much because of the above reason. Like a few other people (me included.)

------------------
-Esponer

Ah, oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

------------------
Cogito Ergo Cogito
United we stand, so I wandered off and got me a chair.

/pushes topic to top. "uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh. curse my weakness. must keep topic from dieing!" ok, anyone who reads this: i'm no wiz at making webstories. i could use help on what the **** to do next.

------------------

Can it please just be a purely narrative webstory.
A game will just not work.

------------------
Vote 1 for Zaphod Beeblebrox- The only presidential candidate with two heads, three arms and a personality as nice as your Mum

Originally posted by Beeblebrox:
**Can it please just be a purely narrative webstory.
A game will just not work.

I want to actually do some writing, just not a bunch of short posts. Also this board just isn't busy enough to have enough players. It should be a narrative webstory

------------------

(This message has been edited by Zurg (edited 10-31-2002).)

heh. That will count me out of the story(no writing skill at all).
What does everyone else think?
----
2 votes for narrative
1 null vote(mine)

------------------

Originally posted by U.E. Admiral:
**/pushes topic to top. "uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh. curse my weakness. must keep topic from dieing!" ok, anyone who reads this: i'm no wiz at making webstories. i could use help on what the **** to do next.

Well I don't know to much about webstories either, but here is what I would do next:
1.find a way to get more players
a.try posting "advertisements" on other Escape Velocity webboards
Example:
Topic: Players Needed
"I need players for my new webstory, which I am using to try to bring new life to EVO webboard. Hopefully I can find enough players before this topic dies. PLAYERS NEEDED (link)click here(link)"

2.make a list of players
3.decide wether it will be a narrative webstory or not
4.make a list of rules and a title and post it in a new topic
5.start webstory

(is it okay to post "ads" on other boards?)

------------------

Many people dont like it when you post an ad on other boards. All i really need here is a reasonable ship count and research pace. A player list is easily formed, and post the rules(as soon as i have all of them). Then start.

------------------

I'm interested. I'd like to be (free)Huron or commander of Outpost Theta.

------------------

Originally posted by Cyril:
**I'm interested. I'd like to be (free)Huron or commander of Outpost Theta.

Do a search for Wave of Destruction. Read Chapters 1-3(the others if you want). That will give you the general idea. You can be free huron as soon as it happens(if it even does). You must choose to either be a government leader, mercenary, trader, or a sub-commander of a government. But, you cant take control of a single system of a government(you could if we had 150+ players but we dont so...)

------------------

Does that mean I'm not able to be the Captain of the new Paaren Station? 'Cause that'd be cool.

I'm afraid not. Could you please register if you're going to join? If you dont someone could impersonate you and totally screw you up. As a government leader or sub-leader you can take commend anywhere. You just write that the station commander of Paaren Station did such and such. It isnt that complicated.

(edit)I've found a name for the story: Eve of Destruction. Thank you hippie era!(/edit)

------------------

(This message has been edited by U.E. Admiral (edited 11-03-2002).)

Name: Eve Of Destruction

Player List:
United Earth: Beeblebrox
Iothe: Zax
Human Renegades: Zurg
Voinian Empire: U.E. Admiral(subject to change)
Emalgha: Player Needed(Tetsou if he/she registers)
North Tip Renegades: Player Needed
South Tip Renegades: Player Needed
Strandless Renegades: Player needed
Miranu: Solel
Zachit: Kauthor
Zidagar: Player Needed
Azdgari: SilverDragon
Igadzra: Player Needed
Council: Optional
Private Captain(s): -REDCHIGH-
Free Huron Fleet: Cyril
Hinwar Liberation Fleet: Player Needed

(Explaination: Cyril can take command of a small fleet of Civilian/Renegade ships with which to take Huron. As far as the Hinwar Liberation Fleet: Same as Free Huron but with Voinian ships and most likly a shorter life span.)
----
I have also desided to make it a simple interactive story. Not strictly narrative(many of us have little writing skill nor the time to read long dragged out posts).
----
Rules (so far)
Common sense to be used at all times.
Real-time will be used for research/building.
A maximum ship construction per day will be issued for each government.
No single-post battles.
All players are to be treated as if their crews are the same in every way(no "my crews are more experianced than yours so i can kill 8 destroyers at the loss of one ship" crap).
Ship and Fleet movement restricted by fuel capacity alone.
Effective Scanning Range is no more than 2 system radius(Unless upgraded).
Players can overrule the moderater(s) provided they all agree.
More to come if i see something i missed

Does anyone disagree with anything here? If so, why? And please list an alternative.

------------------

(This message has been edited by U.E. Admiral (edited 11-09-2002).)

I'd ditch the 'overrule the moderator' thing. Otherwise, a large alliance of players could make things too unfair in their favor.

------------------

Originally posted by Cyril:
**I'd ditch the 'overrule the moderator' thing. Otherwise, a large alliance of players could make things too unfair in their favor.

Good point. editing now....

------------------

/drags topic to top again

Any suggestions/objections? Things missing?

/walks around tapping a cane

------------------

No Objections!

------------------

I'm ready to go when everyone else is.

------------------
Vote 1 for Zaphod Beeblebrox- The only presidential candidate with two heads, three arms and a personality as nice as your Mum